VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

I meant that people are racist but was in no means dismissing the trauma suffered by workers.  As someone who has worked as a trade union rep for years, I'd never trivialise that, let alone look for a "Plot hole".

One of the things I found interesting in that article was something I asked very early on in this thread, and that was the impact of Brexit on the food industry.  I was asking about the effect it would have on the vegetable picking side of things but I had no idea that 69% of the meat industry workers were EU migrants, and also a hot spot for people trafficking. 

The environment that Brexit created (the racism that's more overt now that I mentioned in my first point) and the value of the pound dropping, seems to have a bigger impact on the recruitment for abattoirs than the horrors that people working there see.  But, as I mentioned a few pages back, I believe that's in the short term because the next generation coming through seem to be more caring and they won't want to support the meat industry and will (hopefully) lead societal shifts towards a better and fairer society.

Okay well you not commenting on some very real issues to talk about something unrelated was just a bit jarring. Especially since you have always seemed knowledgeable and understanding about issues like that, so maybe I’m holding you to a higher standard than I would other people.

Ive mentioned before that I know a slaughterhouse worker who quit because his daughter had gone veggie/vegan. No Father will do a job if his daughter is disappointed in him, I think the shift is going to happen pretty face. Now the slaughterhouse worker’s children are going to see videos of what goes on behind closed doors. 

The work force is going to be totally propped up with workers being taken advantage of within a few years. If Brexit goes through that is just going to get even worse

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Going to buy a bunch of Quorn stuff if Aldi have it in our big shop today. See how it goes!

Quorn is so hit and miss. The mince, Gamon Steaks, nuggets and goujons are all lovely. Their sausages are average at best and their burgers are THE WORST alternative product I have ever tried.

Went to Holland and Barrett last week and got some Fry's Chick'n Burgers and Beef style strips and, though a bit pricey, were both excellent.

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Okay well you not commenting on some very real issues to talk about something unrelated was just a bit jarring. Especially since you have always seemed knowledgeable and understanding about issues like that, so maybe I’m holding you to a higher standard than I would other people.

All I can really say to that is I've commented in this thread about the PTSD element before, so I had nothing new to add.  But I'd say it wasn't totally unrelated, I've mentioned again in this thread how people become concerned about animal rights when it suits them to use as a smokescreen to display prejudice.  This would have been a perfect example of this because we know people would believe it if we posted it saying "Halal slaughter worker said this" despite pigs being mentioned.

And Scorch,  Quorn burgers are ace.  How are you cooking them?  I've found that the best way is to stick them in the oven for 15 minutes, don't grill them or fry them.  One of my favourite tasty snacks is cooked burgers diced up, then make a sarnie and stick it in the breville.  Burger Brevilles are fucking well skill.

Cooked vegan bolognese last night, simple and delicious.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

All I can really say to that is I've commented in this thread about the PTSD element before, so I had nothing new to add.  But I'd say it wasn't totally unrelated, I've mentioned again in this thread how people become concerned about animal rights when it suits them to use as a smokescreen to display prejudice.  This would have been a perfect example of this because we know people would believe it if we posted it saying "Halal slaughter worker said this" despite pigs being mentioned.

And Scorch,  Quorn burgers are ace.  How are you cooking them?  I've found that the best way is to stick them in the oven for 15 minutes, don't grill them or fry them.  One of my favourite tasty snacks is cooked burgers diced up, then make a sarnie and stick it in the breville.  Burger Brevilles are fucking well skill.

Cooked vegan bolognese last night, simple and delicious.

TBF, I had the Fresh Burgers which are not the same as the frozen. Cooked them on the hob but they had a very weird smell. But I much preferred the Asda own brand frozen burgers. That said, burger wise No Bull have been the best I have found in terms of closeness. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah yes, good point!  I've yet to try the no bull burgers as I don't have an Iceland near me but I really want to.

I wouldn;t bother at the moment, probably won't find any but they are rather good. Similar to the Beyond Burger which Tesco are selling, though they are £5 for 4 so a bit more expensive

• Paid Members

I got a few packs of the mince, and one each of the chicken chunks and southern fried nuggets. Going to make bolognese tonight.

I'm not going Vegan or even Vegetarian I must point out, but trialling the alternatives to cut down on meat and feel a bit better about all the slaughtering.