VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

It is a strawman argument, it is an attempt to pick holes in a lifestyle choice to defend their own actions.

No it isn't, in fact if anything, you saying it's a strawman is the strawman.  People defend eating meat because they like it, that's all.  It has nothing to do with guilt.  You are the one deflecting.

And it's about principles.  People saying you are vegan but you've got a leather jacket?  That's picking holes and trying to trip you up.  For what it's worth, I think your reply is perfectly consistent with your ethics, you already owned it and I'd argue that keeping it adds to the sustainability points regarding veganism.  I know that's paradoxical but your years old jacket getting 100% usage is totally in line with your ethical stance as veganism promotes sustainability.

However, drugs aren't in line with your ethical stance.  You are opposed to the slaughter of animals - The meat industry is complicit in the slaughter of animals - You don't support the meat industry.  Perfect sense.  You are opposed to the slaughter of animals - The drug industry is complicit in the slaughter of animals - You support the drug industry.  Dress it how you want, but it's a contradiction of principles.

It doesn't matter how little your boycott of a product impacts, if it's your principle, you stick to it.  For instance, I love Warburtons bread.  It was the only bread I bought and could just sit there eating slice after slice.  Then I found out they are big Tory party donors and I haven't bought any since.  It'll make not a tuppenny fuck of difference to them, but it's my principles and I have to stick to them, otherwise as I say, it's a hobby.

I'm positive I buy and love stuff from other Tory party donors, I just don't know it.  It's not contradicting my principles, it's ignorance.  If I find out they are a Tory donor and still buy their stuff, that's betraying my principles, makes me a sell out and a hypocrite.

I don't focus on the behaviour of others trying to condone their own behaviour by picking holes in others, I focus on my own behaviour and choices to make sure they are as consistent with my principles as possible.  I gave up the sniff when I became involved with trade unionism because I was complicit in an industry that uses slavery.  I may have been a tiny fly biting an elephant but it wasn't about them, it was about me and what I am held accountable to by myself and my principles.

I don’t want to attempt to justify drug use, but if you really want to discuss it I’ll play along. If I do ten gram of coke in a night how many animals die as a result of those actions? You’ve said Mules dying of exhaustion before, that would probably be years of carrying huge amounts wouldn’t it? A mule won’t die of exhaustion from carrying ten gram down a hill would it? 

How many people have died in Columbia from the drug trade in comparison to how many kilos they ship out? I’d probably have to do 10 gram a day for 1000 years to be responsible for even one death.

Comparing meat and drug consumption is like comparing a shot of whisky to downing a litre. It just doesn’t match up in any comparable way. 

Edit: just googled it and found that about 866 tonnes of cocaine were produced in 2016 while 220,000 people have died in Columbia because of war over 55 years. So it is probably even more unbalanced than I first thought. 

Can I be Vegan if I pay taxes to the U.K. government who sell weapons to Saudi Arabia? 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PowerButchi said:

So it's ok then. So I can be a vegan and eat meat as only me doing now and again it is a drop in the ocean and makes no difference.

I was about to type very similar Butch. Surley even a single animal/person that is raped/killed/exploited for the drugs would be in conflict to the vegan ideals?

3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

So it's ok then. So I can be a vegan and eat meat as only me doing now and again it is a drop in the ocean and makes no difference.

Well you only eating meat now and again would be a lot better yeah. Wouldn’t be vegan though because vegan means not eating animal products.

Also, I never said that doing drugs was okay. I said it was not comparable to eating meat. I said a I didn’t want to justify it, but it seemed like people didn’t understand how I justified it to myself.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well you only eating meat now and again would be a lot better yeah. Wouldn’t be vegan though because vegan means not eating animal products.

Also, I never said that doing drugs was okay. I said it was not comparable to eating meat. I said a I didn’t want to justify it, but it seemed like people didn’t understand how I justified it to myself.

But that's just your opinion. To me, drug use is one of the biggest issues in society today and if I had a choice to make there is no question that I would prefer my kids to eat meat rather than shovel shit up their noses and what not. 

Just now, Cod Eye said:

But that's just your opinion. To me, drug use is one of the biggest issues in society today and if I had a choice to make there is no question that I would prefer my kids to eat meat rather than shovel shit up their noses and what not. 

My opinion, which is based on the statistics I posted yeah. 

I don’t think anyone has to choose between their kids doing drugs and eating meat. I’d rather my son did neither though 

30 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I don’t want to attempt to justify drug use, but if you really want to discuss it I’ll play along. If I do ten gram of coke in a night how many animals die as a result of those actions? You’ve said Mules dying of exhaustion before, that would probably be years of carrying huge amounts wouldn’t it? A mule won’t die of exhaustion from carrying ten gram down a hill would it? 

This has absolutely nothing to do with my post though, I said it twice in that post that what I do doesn't and won't make a lick of difference to those I boycott.  I do it because of me, not them.  As i said, you can dress it up all you want, if you knowingly contribute to the industry, regardless of how small the impact, of something that contravenes a principle then you don't have the principle. You're just passing off complicit guilt as much as someone who has a weekly bacon sarnie.

The only justification you need for coke is that you like it. You know about the harm of the industry but you aren't bothered because you like it.  That's all you need, man. 

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with my post though, I said it twice in that post that what I do doesn't and won't make a lick of difference to those I boycott.  I do it because of me, not them.  As i said, you can dress it up all you want, if you knowingly contribute to the industry, regardless of how small the impact, of something that contravenes a principle then you don't have the principle. You're just passing off complicit guilt as much as someone who has a weekly bacon sarnie.

The only justification you need for coke is that you like it. You know about the harm of the industry but you aren't bothered because you like it.  That's all you need, man. 

Yeah I know I don’t need to justify it to anyone else and have no interest in doing so. I only did because everyone is going on about it and attempting to exaggerate the minimal impact it has. 

I do just do it because I like it. Well I did but I’ve actually been clean for 9 days, 22 hours and 51 minutes. I’m gonna stop talking about it now because if I spend too long yacking about it I’ll have a relapse 

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I only did because everyone is going on about it and attempting to exaggerate the minimal impact it has. 

To be fair, I haven't done that.  I've been constant about the minimal impact of personal boycotts.  My point has always been about the consistency of a principle.  But then I've been going on the assumption that you are vegan due to a principle that you obviously don't have, so my apologies.

Tonight's dinner wasn't vegan, as quorn bratwursts aren't vegan.  They're delicious, mind, but I bet they're not a patch on the Berlin versions.  What have they been like?  Is there a lot of variety in flavours over there in sausage land?

I had a vegan pizza at Pizza Express tonight, my first time trying vegan cheese. Wasn't actually too bad. I love cheese though so I'm unlikely to go vegan. 

I usually drink almond milk as I prefer the taste but my husband gave me cereal made (is that the right word?) with cows milk the other day, it tasted vile, far worse than I remember it, I don't know how people drink that stuff. 

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

I bought some almond milk the other day because I think I may have an intolerance to normal milk. It was...different! I had it with my cereal and it was ok, then the following day I had a large glass of it to drink. It was fine in small quantities, but I struggled to finish the whole glass. It'll take some getting used to.

I guess it's whatever you get used to. I quite liked almond milk from the beginning though, but the unsweetened variety not the sweetened one. I wouldn't recommend it in trees by the way, apparently oat milk is the best for tea and coffee

Edited by deathrey