VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Let's say my local butchers, a family business, probably make the switch to being a vegan butcher.  They'll have to do it while still running the current one otherwise they'll not make a living while the training goes into learning a new craft.  They'll make the switch over time so they phase out the meat products in favour of the vegan ones so they can maintain the money while the staff are training.

Trouble is with that, what kind of vegan would buy products from a shop that still sells and up to recently only sold raw meat products.  They'd go under quick smart.

That’s basically just a refurb isn’t it. Plenty of businesses close up for a week or two while they have changed made. He sounds like a wanker and will probably be scratching his head wondering why he failed if he refuses to move with the times.

Supporting local business can be a bad thing when those business are built on immoral actions  

2 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Supporting local business can be a bad thing when those business are built on immoral actions  

It's only immoral in your opinion though, isn't it? And even then it's your opinion for now. It wasn't that long ago that you were scoffing down burgers and partaking in immoral antics like the rest of us lower-class types.

Besides, I refuse to take lessons in morality from a man who owns one pair of shoes and who dresses up as CM Punk.

5 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

That’s basically just a refurb isn’t it. Plenty of businesses close up for a week or two while they have changed made

A week or two?  If you're going into business to sell seitan, tempeh etc it takes a fuckload longer than a week or two to be able to craft it to such a degree that you can sell it.

• Moderators

This is so fucking tedious. Go 'think out loud' somewhere else @David . If you post in this thread again I'm suspending you.

Edit: just to be clear, there's been plenty of decent discussion on the merits of veganism and I don't want to discourage that. It's just David's worthless contributions that aren't welcome.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A week or two?  If you're going into business to sell seitan, tempeh etc it takes a fuckload longer than a week or two to be able to craft it to such a degree that you can sell it.

Depends how they plan it. Just train the staff and perfect the new product, before closing for the refurb and advertise it in advance. They would have time because this would be started by a decline in sales, meaning the people who work there would have more time on their hands anyway. Could probably make some extra money advertising the rebrand as “only selling meat for another month, get it before it’s gone.” Once it re-opens, vegans would flock from miles around to support the new business venture, because we are like that.

No one in their right mind would close the shop and then figure out how to make the new product. They could spend a few months perfecting it and offering customers free samples 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

I discovered this a few months ago, and it looks amazing - think I'm going to try making it, hopefully this weekend. Roasted veg, chickpeas cooked in jeerah, and an intriguing sauce made from tahini and maple syrup.

30-minute-CHICKPEA-Sweet-Potato-BUDDHA-B

https://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato-chickpea-buddha-bowl/

Which is why I said initially they’d phase it in so they could still make money which pays for the all important and lengthy training process. 

But if this sort of thing becomes the norm, vegans wouldn’t flock from miles around to shop there because their local butcher would have done the same in this hypothetical utopia. 

Essentially, it wouldn’t work at all. 

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

But if this sort of thing becomes the norm, vegans wouldn’t flock from miles around to shop there because their local butcher would have done the same in this hypothetical utopia. 

Essentially, it wouldn’t work at all. 

If it becomes the norm, vegans wouldn’t have to flock from miles around because the potential client base would already be local. While the percentage of vegans is lower, a business will rely on travelling more. Once the percentage is higher, they’ll be able to rely more on local customers.

Thing is though, it is proven to work.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katrinafox/2017/12/27/heres-why-you-should-turn-your-business-vegan-in-2018/

I live in Chorlton, mate. It’s vegan central. Which might be why the butcher is a bellend. He, like pie and mash man, think they are cowboys watching the last frontier of the Wild West disappear, instead of being berks. 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

If it becomes the norm, vegans wouldn’t have to flock from miles around because the potential client base would already be local. While the percentage of vegans is lower, a business will rely on travelling more. Once the percentage is higher, they’ll be able to rely more on local customers.

Thing is though, it is proven to work.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katrinafox/2017/12/27/heres-why-you-should-turn-your-business-vegan-in-2018/

Did you even read the article?

It doesn't really support the point you're making (as well as being waaay more obviously biased than other stuff you've dismissed offhanded earlier in this thread).

26 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Did you even read the article?

It doesn't really support the point you're making (as well as being waaay more obviously biased than other stuff you've dismissed offhanded earlier in this thread).

I read it when it came out and skimmed over it again before posting it.

It isn’t directly explaining how a butchers could go vegan, it’s more of an accompanying piece with some other related bits of information. Don’t think Forbes have any articles on how a local butcher changed their business model. It is has plenty of forecasts which all have cited sources and current market figures. 

When I have dismissed biased articles it has been because they use intentionally emotive words and the style it is written. That article is pretty dry and fact based though.

”While plant-based milk sales grew 3.1%, cow’s milk sales declined 5% and are projected to drop another 11% through 2020, according to Mintel. Market Watch reports that Dean Foods, the largest supplier of dairy milk in the US, recently posted a third-quarter net income of just $1.4 million, down from $14.5 million in the same period a year ago.” 

Personally I don’t consider that to be the same as the other articles I’ve dismissed.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well, the data was collected by the PBFA, who are essentially a collective lobby group for plant based foods, so I'd say they have an agenda.

There is still a difference between data collected by an organisation with an agenda compared to a glorified opinion piece loaded with manipulative descriptive words. That article published by Forbes is worlds apart from the bee-migration article which I said was worthless. 

“Sales of plant-based food in the US went up by 8.1% during the past year, topping $3.1 billion, according to research carried out by Nielsen for the Plant Based Foods Association (PBFA) and the Good Food Institute.”

I consider that information to be credible 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Moderators

I disagree. Stats can be very easily cherry-picked and manipulated and you don't know what part of the picture they're missing just by omission, let alone how they've twisted the research in the first place. So you have to look at the obviously biased source and take what you see there with a pinch of salt.

this for example - " The egg industry is starting to feel the pinch too. Shares in Cal-Maine Foods, an egg producer since 1969 in Jackson, Mississippi in the US, saw its shares drop 7% in July this year, after the company reported its first annual loss in more than 10 years. CEO Adolphus Baker blamed the growth in popularity of egg alternatives. " . This seems very obviously anecdotal and cherry-picked.

Anyway. In spite of the bias I think it's still an OK picture of overall trends in the market, and it definitely has some interesting info in it, but it doesn't really apply to change in small business and doesn't really support your argument in that respect at all. Bit of a non sequitur as an article to link to.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

“Meanwhile Elmhurst, one of the longest-running dairies on the US east coast, decided in 2017, after 92 years, to cut its losses and switch to producing solely plant-based milks.”

Even if it is cherry picked data, this for example is a good example of straight facts and related to the topic. If anything a change like this would be far easier on a small scale. The only difference is a small business won’t have a team of advisers working on projections for how the business can stay afloat. Small business owners will have to work that by themselves, or blame Vegans when they can’t make a living any more.