Social Media Interactions

TildeGuy~!

I tweeted something out about Stardom Wrestling last night and female wrestler Hazuki liked it, I went to bed thinking nothing of it and have woken up to a follow, a private message and about 70 odd notifications from her liking most of my photos on Instagram and now other Stardom wrestlers like Hana Kimura, Kagetsu, Nao Yamaguchi and Sumire Natsu are doing the same.

So do you have or have had any Social Media interactions with people from the Wrestling World? 

Edit: The private message from Hazuki was her being surprised how good my Japanese was for a “Gaijin” and invited me to her birthday party next month, 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't have Twitter anymore but back when I did around 2012ish, Hulk Hogan was bragging about his Air Jordans so I tweeted him an obviously sarcastic tweet saying I was tuning in to Impact just to see them and he retweeted me and replied.

I also sent Dixie Carter and The Rock a link to the Youtube video "my dog Chopper taking a poop"

• Paid Members

Getting the Facebook notification, "Meiko Satomura tagged herself in your photo" was a pleasant surprise.

I've had a couple of brief Twitter exchanges with William Regal about old World of Sport stuff, and possibly one of the oddest ones was somehow ( (I can't remember how it came about) becoming Facebook friends with Vampiro, and a discussion on his wall resulting in me getting a ton of messages from Marty Jones trying to set up seminars with him and Johnny Saint in Jersey - nothing ever came of it, though.

Being sort of involved in wrestling, I've ended up with various odd followers and Facebook friends all over the place - either people I've worked with, met at shows, or who are presumably just looking to get booked. Given that, when I've been in the position to book people, the logic behind who I choose to bring in probably seems entirely arbitrary, I can understand various people taking a punt on it. 

So I won't count cursory conversations around booking, or people emailing us looking for a gig, as part of this thread, though an honourary mention goes to Marty Jannetty. We were talking to him about bringing him in for a show a few years back, as he was in the midst of a UK/European tour at the time. We couldn't match schedules and nothing came of it. About eight months later, I got a Facebook message from him that was just a thumbs up emoji.

• Paid Members

I replied to one of Jericho's tweets after he had been to a Metallica gig, likening St Anger to their "walking Lucy the dog" moment and telling him some things are best forgotten. He replied "Haha fair point" which validated my existence.

Pre-WWE Cesaro and I once swapped three tweets sending the "Macho Man" lyrics from the 1993 album back and forth. Good bantz. Had a fair few tweets with Devitt pre-Balor about Spurs before he became too big to reply to every nutter.

• Paid Members

I've abandoned Twitter for quite a bit while I sort myself out emotionally and mentally (I work within social media and, mixed with a few knocks in my professional and personal life, seeing the cavalcade of suffering and awfulness for 8 hours a day really did a number on me), but I used to frequently create and tweet GIFs of whatever wrestling I was watching.

One of my projects was GIFing indy ladder matches. I'd just go on YouTube, type in 'ladder match' or 'TLC match' and just GIF away for a few hours. The only criteria was that it had to be an independent promotion; the less well-know, the better. No idea why, I just thought it would be a real fun through line for my account.

So I got a few of DM's, a slew of follows and a lot of appreciative comments from these lads who don't really get people watching their stuff. They loved that someone was tweeting about whatever dumb move they did in front of 100 people. I felt like I was helping out somewhat, even though all I was doing was tweeting GIFs of ladder matches. Hardly difficult work.

What I also got was the Cornette/Russo/Konnan/etc brigade who would constantly fill up my notifications with "UGH THIS ISN'T WRESTLING" followed with a tagging of whichever podcaster they were trying to suck off that day. I actually had a couple of small convos with Cornette about it, where he was a good sport but clearly didn't give a fuck.

Yeah, wrestling GIFing in general is just a great deal of fun. I've had my account flooded when Ricochet, The Bucks and Omega have RT'ed stuff and I can safely say I did a mini-wee when Sasuke RT'ed some GIFs too. I was thinking of jumping back on the wagon again soon and this thread has reminded me why I kept on it.

Also, a tip for GIFing on Twitter; don't do it live. Create the GIFs and then schedule them on Tweetdeck, that way you can catch any technical or spelling errors before they're published. Also gives you a bit of breathing room in case one of the guys you've GIFed becomes the subject of a big controversy. Oh, and make sure to tag properly too. 

• Paid Members

When I had the space and time to do DDP Yoga I stuck a picture of my progress (which has now been almost entirely undone) on my Facebook and DDP or whoever runs his Facebook commented on the picture congratulating me. I also got a brief Twitter follow from Goldust, but that was when he was doing the "Upload a picture of yourself with my biography and I'll give you a follow" thing. It was a pretty good read as well. Quite short, though.

Archived