wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Really good post-fight scrum with Cerrone here. 

I like this Cowboy. I’ve had my ups and downs when it comes to Cerrone over the years. Always loved watching him fight but there’s been times when I’ve loved him and times when he’s irritated me. Last couple of years it’s definitely swung more to me being a big fan though. This whole split from Winkeljohn really seems to have rejuvenated him and lit a fire under him. And so much of what he says here about becoming a dad resonates with me.

He just seems like he’s in such a better place now. He always used to say he wasn’t arsed about titles and with him going up to 170, while he’s been fun to watch there, I kind of felt like that might’ve been him accepting that sort of Rich Franklin-twilight of the career role of just bouncing around and taking ‘fun fights’ for the sake of it. There wasn’t really any direction there. Just fight, get paid, go quad biking, fight, get paid, climb a mountain, etc. I’ve noticed he’s talking differently since having a kid though. He was the same on Rogan’s podcast recently and he’s been like it all this week in interviews. There’s a direction and focus there now that I don’t think he’s ever truly had in the past. He’s going back to 155 and seems fired up about ‘working hard’ and going after that belt. The things he’s never been arsed about before. I like it. Now, all that said, he’s never taking that belt from Khabib. Just an awful matchup for him and if fucking Mike ‘Baroni Version 2’ Perry was able to take him down, Khabib sodding mauls him. We know this. But I like this focused and fired up Cerrone. 

Also intrigued by what he said there about having a “very interesting” name already lined up for his return to 155. The UFC must’ve came to him with a name backstage after the fight because he didn’t seem to know anything in the cage with Felder. The way he was talking here, I’m thinking it’s one of two names. Most likely I think they’ve offered him Justin Gaethje, which would be fucking awesome. My other, less likely, outsider was they’re thinking Cerrone vs McGregor. That one’s probably a lot less likely to happen but I could see them thinking it’s a good way for McGregor to rebound against a name who will likely stand with him in an exciting fight. But nah, I reckon and hope we’ll be seeing Cerrone vs Gaethje. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The main event played out like the film version of an MMA fight. You had the crazy back and forth action, the innovative offence, both men taking a beating, the in-cage hand slapping and, finally, about one of the maddest finishes in the history of the sport.

Gutted for Korean Zombie because he was winning the fight.

Cowboy getting a bit of revenge over Jackson Wank was a really great moment. I like Perry too, but going by what Cowboy said on the JRE, Winkeljohn, in particular, is a bit of a tosser.

• Paid Members

The more I watch that Rodriguez vs Zombie finish the more crazy it gets. I honestly think it might be the best knockout in UFC history. There have been amazing knockouts in bigger and more significant fights before like Anderson’s kick against Belfort or whatever but purely from an artistical standpoint of what a cool and incredible knockout is, it’s either this or Barboza vs Etim for me. 

Then when you do add the context into it - the KO coming in the last second of the last round, in the main event on the 25th Anniversary show, in a fight in which Yair was down on the scorecards - and he pulled THAT out. It might be my favourite knockout of all time. 

F8A2EC95-C85A-4B34-80F9-84A46553A982.gif

• Paid Members

As amazing as that finish was, I'm confused by it. How does it get ruled a KO win for Yair?

"Ladies and gentlemen, referee Kevin Macdonald has called a stop to this contest at 4 minutes and 59 seconds of round number 5. Declaring the winner by knock out, Yair Rodriguez"

Bullshit. No he didn't. The elbow was thrown at 4:59, the knock out happened and then the bell immediately rang. There was absolutely no time at all for the referee to step in and call off the fight. The decision had to be have been made in the first few seconds immediately after the bell rang. So why is that ruled a KO win and not sent to the judges for a decision?

Compare it to Bisping / Anderson where Bisping was knocked out at the bell for the end of the third round. If there were 10 seconds left in that round then it would've been called off as a KO win for Anderson. Instead, the bell rang as he was knocked out so no KO stoppage could be called, Bisping is taken to his stool and then comes out for the fourth round before eventually winning the fight!

It doesn't make sense to me that you can, effectively, call off a fight retrospectively. 

He didn't call it off retrospectively. The ref was waving his arms in the air, calling it off as the bell went.

The elbow landed with about 3-5" left. It was called as 4'59" because that's when the ref was registered as waving it off, not when the blow landed.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

He didn't call it off retrospectively. The ref was waving his arms in the air, calling it off as the bell went.

The elbow landed with about 3-5" left. It was called as 4'59" because that's when the ref was registered as waving it off, not when the blow landed.

Hmm. I've watched it back about 10 times now. It definitely seems less than 3 seconds left in the round when the elbow lands, to me. You could argue that Macdonald is waving it off as the bell goes though ... just. I still maintain there was an element of that decision being made after the buzzer.

I'm not really complaining or anything. I just thought it was one of those interesting ones where the referee is put on the spot and is forced to make an unusual decision. To me, as mad as it sounds given Zombie is out cold as the bell rings, he should've won that fight by decision.

• Paid Members

I get what you’re saying Chunk. Maybe there was an element of the ref calling the KO because he didn’t want any backlash if he didn’t wave it off. I mean, there was the Dominick Reyes vs OSP fight the other week where Reyes basically KO’d him at the buzzer but it went to the scorecards. You had Rogan and co going on saying ‘how was that not a knockout?’ Then on this very card you had the Skelly-Moffett finish where Skelly was caught in a D’Arce choke and the ref stopped it because he thought “his eyes fluttered” or something. I didn’t have a problem with the Reyes fight not being called a KO, to be honest. The Skelly stoppage was dodgy though, IMO. These are split second decisions but I can see why the ref here might’ve subconsciously thought ‘if I don’t call this a knockout I’ll be crucified’. More likely though, he wasn’t even concentrating on the clock and just saw Zombie faceplant and waved it off. Then the buzzer went. 

Regardless, what a fuck of a finish it was. 

• Paid Members

state of Zombie's nose.

I wouldnt be surprised if we get Yair/Zombie 2 at some point. The UFC rarely goes for an instant rematch outside of title fights but sometimes they are a solid option. If we dont get Yair/Zabit, im all for the rematch.

Unbelievable finish though to a crazy fight. Yair threw some wild elbows throughout when Zombie was lunging in, hes dangerous as fuck. Could have done without the stopping and shaking hands in the fight though, that was just weird. Crowd actually booed the last time they did it.

Cerrone winning was great too. Its felt like Cerrone has just been turning up for his cheque for a while, seemed to have no real aspiration, he just fought cause he still enjoyed it and was getting paid well. Seeing him have that fire back post fight was good to see.

Rest of the main card forgettable outside of the finish of the Maycee Barber fight.

On 11/11/2018 at 5:48 PM, ColinBollocks said:

Cowboy getting a bit of revenge over Jackson Wank was a really great moment. I like Perry too, but going by what Cowboy said on the JRE, Winkeljohn, in particular, is a bit of a tosser.

It's just Winklejohn from what I believe, as Cowboy has said numerous times that he's still on great terms with Greg Jackson. It's for that very reason that Jackson didn't corner Perry.

• Paid Members

yeh, the beef is purely with Winklejohn. Cerrone said that Jackson has taken a bit of a step back from running the gym so it seems to be more Winklejohns deal now. Winklejohn himself responded by saying Cerrone barely trained there eitherway, just said he came in and pinched people to train at his ranch. 

• Paid Members

Wink’s a twat then. How could Cerrone just take people to his ranch? Was he forcing them at gunpoint? I mean, he is a cowboy. Surely they were teammates and friends who wanted to help him out in camp.

Regardless, Cerrone seemed to be in a much better place from the way he was talking going into this Perry fight. Whether it’s becoming a dad, breaking away from Wink and making a fresh start or whatever, he seems rejuvenated. 

From the bits and bobs that I'd read over the years I was always under the impression that Winklejohn was the business head of the gym, while Jackson was more the amiable, slightly whacky trainer that fighters enjoyed working with.

Sounds like Wink is simply looking at Cowboy as maybe a fighter with not long left in the game and chose a younger fighter over him, while Jackson simply doesn't want to cause issues or get involved.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Wink’s a twat then. How could Cerrone just take people to his ranch? Was he forcing them at gunpoint? I mean, he is a cowboy. Surely they were teammates and friends who wanted to help him out in camp.

Regardless, Cerrone seemed to be in a much better place from the way he was talking going into this Perry fight. Whether it’s becoming a dad, breaking away from Wink and making a fresh start or whatever, he seems rejuvenated. 

It sounded like Cerrone would pay fighters to go work with him at his ranch. 

Archived