John Cena

The King of Old School

7 hours ago, PJ Power said:

While crowds would still turn up at WWE events and do duelling chants of "Lets go Cena! Lets go (opponent)!" the war had been lost.

The chants are more commonly "Let's go Cena/Cena sucks" - the opponent rarely matters much. People bought tickets primarily to express how much they love or hate John Cena. He just mattered to everyone so much more than anyone else on the roster, and redefined what a top guy in WWE could be. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost every time somebody brings up the 2008 Rumble, the word “neckbeard” soon follows.

The people in this topic who have explained the reasons they don’t like Cena have resisted insulting the people who like him.

But the ones who do like him usually feel the need to point out what losers and idiots the people who don’t like him are.

That 10 year old theory that MSG erupted when Cena came out for the Rumble and then collectively “remembered they were supposed to hate him” and started booing can be explained fairly easily: the reason they started booing 20 seconds after he came out is because he was in the ring doing the shoulder blocks and punches that always get that reaction in every arena.

While The Rock did have some bad nights on the mic in his 2011/2012 run with Cena, I didn’t like the way Cena switched in the space of one week from gurning and pulling silly faces one week starting sentences with expressions like “Here’s the skinny, homie” then cutting a promo in an empty arena the next week doing the serious voice and using dialogue that nobody in real life would use like “Every New England resident shares my sentiment and it holds true to the theory that...” before going back to talking about pearl necklaces again the week after in his rapper voice.

We can criticise The Rock for some of his silly lines, pausing mid-promo to drink some water, and so on but his attitude and character were constant. Just like everybody else does except Cena.

Depending on the content of his promos he is like two different characters which are completely unlike one another. And that comes across to me as not genuine.

And I haven’t got a neckbeard.

57 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Do you still have your 'We Hate Cena' shirt?

Yes.

Does buying a smarky t-shirt in 2008 automatically mean my comments about something that happened on 2012 should be discredited?

Or was there another reason you asked?

• Paid Members

Stupid to say everyone who doesn't like Cena has been insulted. Not remotely true.

Like what you like. Just don't say stupid shit like Cena isn't a great promo or be utterly hypocritical about Cena and Rock. That's on here anyway. Venture outside and you'll find some virgin who thinks he can't "wrestle" or something.

32 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Stupid to say everyone who doesn't like Cena has been insulted. Not remotely true.

Like what you like. Just don't say stupid shit like Cena isn't a great promo or be utterly hypocritical about Cena and Rock. That's on here anyway. Venture outside and you'll find some virgin who thinks he can't "wrestle" or something.

I didn’t say everybody who doesn’t like Cena has been insulted.

Saying Cena isn’t a great promo is not stupid shit. It’s debatable.

I wasn’t being hypocritical about Cena & Rock.

This is why there are only about a dozen people who post regularly on the UKFF.

The rest of us get told by somebody like you Rick that there is a right answer and a wrong answer on subjects like this and stop posting their opinions.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, dopper said:

Saying Cena isn’t a great promo is not stupid shit. It’s debatable.

Bollocks. It's no more debatable than Flair, Piper, Rhodes, Hogan, Rock, Austin, etc. Argue who is best all you want. But they're all great.

10 minutes ago, dopper said:

The rest of us get told by somebody like you Rick that there is a right answer and a wrong answer on subjects like this and stop posting their opinions.

Not remotely true (again). Surely no one is that wet to skulk off because people challenge opinion.

• Paid Members

Or instead of Joe, maybe that one last big program with one of today's top stars could be against Daniel Bryan? I know they've wrestled before but I bet we'd all enjoy it again.

Or maybe mentor to a noob and going on a quest for the tag belts? They haven't done that enough.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, dopper said:

Yes.

Does buying a smarky t-shirt in 2008 automatically mean my comments about something that happened on 2012 should be discredited?

Or was there another reason you asked?

Blimey, I was only asking!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Or maybe mentor to a noob and going on a quest for the tag belts? They haven't done that enough.

I like this idea. It would definitely elevate interest in the tag belts, especially after having a bit of a down year (on Raw anyway) being held by the B-Team. How many times has Cena held the tag titles? Is it just the once with Michaels? 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I like this idea. It would definitely elevate interest in the tag belts, especially after having a bit of a down year (on Raw anyway) being held by the B-Team. How many times has Cena held the tag titles? Is it just the once with Michaels? 

With Batista, The Miz and Otunga as well

How can anyone hate the man who announced the death of Bin Laden after retaining the title in a triple threat cage match. What an American hero

• Paid Members

Jesus Christ I'd completely forgotten all of them. It's only because you told me that it happened that the one with Otunga is coming back into my head. With Miz and Batista? Absolutely no recollection.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Jesus Christ I'd completely forgotten all of them. It's only because you told me that it happened that the one with Otunga is coming back into my head. With Miz and Batista? Absolutely no recollection.

The Batista one was in the build up to SummerSlam 2008 when they thought doing the odd-couple tag champions thing to add intrigue to that story was more important than Cody and Ted getting chance to establish themselves as good tag champs, having only won the belts five weeks later. It lasted a week.

The Miz one was in the build up to Mania 27 when they thought doing the odd-couple tag champions thing to add intrigue to that story was more important than Slater and Gabriel getting chance to establish themselves as good tag champs, having only won the belts the night before. It lasted a few minutes.

Yeah, they sure treated the tag belts like shit for 15 years or so, didn't they?

Archived