WWE2K19

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

I haven't bothered with this series for 5 years, as they haven't changed it nearly two decades. But this trailer makes it look like hilarious fun:

I hope there are different scenarios. 

Who's biting this time? Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me 2K19 times... 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't buy last years game due to looking very unappealing, and not enjoying 2K17 that much. But I'm hoping this spells the return of batshit insane stories like in the old Smackdown vs Raw games a decade ago. They had some fun stories like Candice Michelle turning Triple H into a woman with her magic wand, Edge and Christian building a time machine, MVP forming his own country called Better-Than-Utopia. The last few years have been dull. Having to face Sami Zayn every week on Superstars and not getting anywhere. I'll probably get it when it's on the cheap (and after I've read the reviews at least).

Just hope the rest of it isn't buggy as hell like the last few too. Thank goodness for patches.

• Paid Members

I'd imagine it'll be more of the same. 2K games are experts at making the game feel grindy to try and get you to spend more money. Plus they'll probably give away the CAW bits in loot boxes as well. 

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I’ll be picking up Fire Pro Wrestling World instead when it comes out next week.

I love that series, but it doesn't move on much either really. Same isometric angle. Same sprites. Same unique grappling mechanic. Same CAW. These are all great features, but it's no different to 1991's SFTPWPX. 

Not sure how I feel about that. Just pointing it out. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Alex Wright Mark said:

But I'm hoping this spells the return of batshit insane stories like in the old Smackdown vs Raw games a decade ago. They had some fun stories like Candice Michelle turning Triple H into a woman with her magic wand, Edge and Christian building a time machine, MVP forming his own country called Better-Than-Utopia.

Fuck video games, I want these guys writing Raw.

• Paid Members

As tempting as a daft storyline-driven career mode might be, I honestly can’t fathom how anyone is still buying the WWE 2K games. They’re absolute garbage.

They play like shit, all floaty and clunky, with pathetic collision detection, still using an engine that’s over a decade old, and considering what other studios are achieving with the current hardware they should be utterly, utterly ashamed at how bad everything looks. Watching these reveals of each character model on social media, I’m almost embarrassed for them. Some stuff honestly could be from late PS2 or early PS3.

It looks like it's lost its mind, and I have a PS4 at long last, so I'm in. 

Remember the career in WrestleMania XIX on the GameCube? No in ring matches, just Stephanie McMahon getting you to throw camera men and evil stage hands down holes. 

• Paid Members

I got I think it was 2K16 as part of Games With Gold on the XBox One,right before they shut all the servers down so you couldn't play online or buy DLC or anything, The Austin showcase thing was nice, although I couldn't stick it out long enough to unlock the Hollywood Blondes. The career mode with the created wrestler was the shits. It gave you a pittance of XP alongside an offer for an "accelerator" for £7.99 (which wasn't available because the servers were down) , always felt like there were points where you were supposed to lose the match because it suddenly made Tyler Breeze invincible,  even though you'd spent the whole match squashing him. You had next to no parts for your guy because you had to earn them by levelling up, which was interminably slow. It just felt like a cash grab,

The engine seemed to be the same one from the PS2 era games as well, same shonky physics. If I want my WWE gaming fix I usually bust out SVR2006 on my PS2. I have 2010 on my 360, but I just never really enjoyed it the same. That UnderTaker match in the career mode was ridiculous.

• Paid Members

I stopped buying the 2K games a few years back. As Ralphy pointed out, I would wait a couple of months for the CAWs to get created and for the price to drop. Then i'd nab it for about 20 quid and just fill it with my indy wank and Japan lads.

I think it was 2K14 when I stopped. The gameplay erred on awful but it was also the little things that cracked me; commentary was annoying. There were restrictions on what moves you could do where. The crowd reactions were unnatural and alien-like. The new mechanic where your wrestler would roll outside of the ring during multi-man matches was devastating. The online mode was unstable and took me ages to navigate through the menus. Then the whole business of people updating their CAWs with the new DLC meant I had to buy the DLC if I wanted to download CAWs. 

I've not bought one since. What's great about the advent of YouTube is that I can see what a game is like before putting the money down. It's all shockingly bad and no improvements are being made. Now they've introduced loot boxes? Get fucked.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

As tempting as a daft storyline-driven career mode might be, I honestly can’t fathom how anyone is still buying the WWE 2K games. They’re absolute garbage.

Same reason people still watch WWE and pay for it despite hating it and being vocal about it.  Because they're wrestling fans.  I saw a 2K gamw for sale, might have been the latest one and I instinctively thought about getting it.  Then reason kicked in and I remembered how the good folk of the UKFF said it was garbage and how I haven't watched WWE in yonks.

Saying that though, there are people who buy the latest FIFA game despite it being exactly the same as last years except the third choice goalie for Dynamo Rusev has different coloured boots.  So perhaps it isn't just wrestling fans after all.

11 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I love that series, but it doesn't move on much either really. Same isometric angle. Same sprites. Same unique grappling mechanic. Same CAW. These are all great features, but it's no different to 1991's SFTPWPX. 

Not sure how I feel about that. Just pointing it out. 

I’ve never played one, I’m into the simming concept and the CAW aspect mainly.

The Last 2K game I got was 2K17 and you couldn’t really get the CAW you wanted due to having to unlock other characters prior because movesets weren’t included.

Plus I can make that Hana Kimura/Minoru Suzuki match up I’ve been dreaming of since they’re 6 person Tag back in early 2017.

DEATH BY OCTOPUS STRETCH ARMBAR!!!

The WWE games don’t allow inter gender matches do they?

Archived