My best finisher?

Carbomb

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, air_raid said:

The 619 was awful, mostly because the level of "contrived" about the opponent setting themselves up for it was usually bordering on ridiculous. There's a house show finish on YouTube where he dropkicks Punk in the knee causing Punk to fall forward in an awfully convenient way to get into position, then Punk reverses the first 619 attempt onto a GTS attempt which Rey turns into a headscissor which ALSO drapes Punk miraculously across the middle rope. 619, strong fart splash, go home. When a wrestlers finish and the drama surrounding the finish is a fuckawful looking "hey, look at the performers co-operating" sequence, it kind of takes you out of it. The first against Chavo looked organic, thereafter was mostly a shitshow.

For the most part, I agree, but to be fair his leg takedown to get them on the ropes was perfectly fine, because it looked intentional and not like he was relying on circumstance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

For the most part, I agree, but to be fair his leg takedown to get them on the ropes was perfectly fine, because it looked intentional and not like he was relying on circumstance.

Drop toehold? Yeah, I can buy a precision drop toehold. But way too many headscissors, "ranas," dropkicks to the back and other nonsenses that caused opponents to gormlessly fall onto the middle rope in a manner that doesn't happen wrestling anybody else.

Stuff like that massively annoys me. Up there with the opponent choosing to throw a haymaker at Cena after being hit with two tackles allowing them to get hit with the Protobomb. Every. Fucking. Match.

• Paid Members
Just now, air_raid said:

Drop toehold? Yeah, I can buy a precision drop toehold.

Yeah - for some reason, all of a sudden I couldn't remember the name of the hold. Thanks.

Ah, but it's Rey's expert application of the headscissors and dropkicks that force the opponent, through his acquired nuance, to fall in just such a way. This ain't his first rodeo.

• Paid Members
On 9/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, Max Power said:

Seeing as I'm watching early 97 Raw, Crush's heart punch is utter shite. But then again so was his Cranium Crush in the early 90s.

Does anyone have two finishers as shitty as those?

Sorry, missed these. I thought the Cranium Crush was a perfectly fine finisher, especially for a guy who had been touted as having ridiculous crushing strength. Never saw the Heart Punch - wasn't that Stan Stasiak's finisher? Wouldn't work now.

On 9/20/2018 at 6:06 PM, Max Power said:

--

D'Lo had a few decent movez. His Sky High Frog Splash was decent for a fat lad, his Low Down modified spinebuster(?) was good too (maybe I've those names the wrong way round). His Running Powerbomb was shambolic though- tragically paralysing Droz, although it did look the business. He nearly wiped Jarrett out with it prior to that, so I'm surprised he didn't have it banned.

Yeah, the Sky High was the spine buster and the Lo Down was the frog splash.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry, missed these. I thought the Cranium Crush was a perfectly fine finisher, especially for a guy who had been touted as having ridiculous crushing strength. Never saw the Heart Punch - wasn't that Stan Stasiak's finisher? Wouldn't work now.

Crush had a poor run, they gave him the Heartpunch in replacement of winning with a full nelson when he first came back, which was pretty passé by 96. It's only through the most supplemental physique ever and very protective booking that our pal Chris got The Masterlock as over as he did.

• Paid Members
On 9/22/2018 at 2:59 AM, Carbomb said:

Same here. I thought it was really over at the time and actually looked like it hurt.

• Paid Members

On Rey's set-up for the 619, it did tend to look incredibly forced, but the kayfabe explanation is surely that Rey Mysterio is setting up - he's utilising the drop toehold, the headscissors, whatever move he's using, with the express intent to put his opponent in the right position to allow him to hit the 619?

It's gimmicky, but it's not on the same level as guys who have never attempted a crossbody in their life suddenly deciding they'll attempt one against Bradshaw.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

On Rey's set-up for the 619, it did tend to look incredibly forced, but the kayfabe explanation is surely that Rey Mysterio is setting up - he's utilising the drop toehold, the headscissors, whatever move he's using, with the express intent to put his opponent in the right position to allow him to hit the 619?

Kayfabe sure, but the way they usually have to fall is so unnatural that it gives the game away completely. People used to rag on the Canadian Destroyer as being too co-operative but (depending on who's doing it to who) I'm much happier believing that move than some of the ballet than involves people setting themselves up for Rey.

11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's gimmicky, but it's not on the same level as guys who have never attempted a crossbody in their life suddenly deciding they'll attempt one against Bradshaw.

8 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

And every WCW wrestler attempting to powerbomb Kidman.

The king of "unusual opponent behaviour" for me was the way every opponent (apart from those smaller than him like Rey) decided to do an inverted suplex on Dean Malenko. Every Jericho match, every Benoit match, there are others. Dean loved receiving an inverted suplex for some reason.

• Paid Members

Nothing as major as those listed above, but the set-up to Cena's Blue Thunder slam after the shoulder blocks always irritates me. The opponent ALWAYS throws a punch (the same kind of punch) at Cena for him to duck and lift the guy. 

24 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The king of "unusual opponent behaviour" for me was the way every opponent (apart from those smaller than him like Rey) decided to do an inverted suplex on Dean Malenko. Every Jericho match, every Benoit match, there are others. Dean loved receiving an inverted suplex for some reason.

This is an interesting point. What bumps seem exclusive, almost like a signature, to select wrestlers? Foley routinely took the back bump off the apron, Micheals and Bret had their 'signature' turnbuckle bumps and Trips used to love taking a tumble over the corner post.

• Paid Members

Most guys have a signature bump, though not often as blatant as having to take a specific, unusual move. Stuff like Rikishi doing a 360 bump off a clothesline.

Michaels, Flair, Triple H, Charlotte, Harley Race, and plenty of others all have variations of the "upside down in the corner" bump - Trips usually taking it to the floor, Flair on to the apron, and so on.

Another Foley one was being whipped knees-first into the ring steps, and flipping over them. Insane bump to take as often as he did, usually inconsequentially. 

Archived