My best finisher?

Carbomb

5 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

No, the Playmaker is the worst finisher ever. It's fucking awful, I don't even know what it's supposed to do.

Fair. Imagine if Randy orton had stuck with that rather than the RKO? 

“Overdrive out of . . . well not nowhere . . . more a gradual clunky set up”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The worst is Edge's version of the Spear. It's no move for a lanky, bean pole to be using.

It looked weak as piss and the only time I liked it was because Jeff Hardy took it from about 10 foot up in the the air. 

Even more insulting when he'd used the ultra cool Downward Spiral and the even better Elevated DDT before hand. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

The worst is Edge's version of the Spear. It's no move for a lanky, bean pole to be using.

Goldberg's Spear was so explosive and powerful that anything since has looked weak. Goldberg's version looked like he was genuinely looking to take the wind out of your body (and he probably did), where as everyone else is looking to hug your midriff. The size helps, of course, but everyone else seems to jump into it, where as Goldberg stomped towards his opponent and drove through.

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I never understood why he seemed to be so determined to ditch everything in favour of the spear, which really didn't look good at all. I know finishers are all about how they're protected and sold for, but there's got to be some meeting halfway, no? They should look good too.

imo, it's the build up he did for it that got it over, with the fingers gesturing to get up and the crazy eyes. it would look weird if he then hit the Edge-cution

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

Goldberg's Spear was so explosive and powerful that anything since has looked weak. Goldberg's version looked like he was genuinely looking to take the wind out of your body (and he probably did), where as everyone else is looking to hug your midriff. The size helps, of course, but everyone else seems to jump into it, where as Goldberg stomped towards his opponent and drove through.

See also, Rhyno. 

The key to a good Spear is mass and girth. Otherwise it just looks like a very excitable hug. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Aye. The Last Ride passed the playground test. Everyone was trying it when a Royal Rumble broke out.

That's true - Stunners, Last Rides, F5s, I'm sure loads of kids have done those. That said, I never understood why the Angle Slam was so popular. It's just a Samoan Drop, and it doesn't look particularly painful (in comparison to other finishers).

9 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I hated Booker T's finishers. The Book End cheapened him in WCW, seeing as it was a shit Rock Bottom. His Scissor Kick always looked daft because he'd take forever prancing around after hitting the knee set-up, so his opponent would have to sell their gut for ages - I like to think Triple H taking so long to cover him was his way of getting those hours back.

It's an odd one - I really liked his scissor kick when I first saw him during the Invasion. It was impactful, sharp and it was sort of out of left field - only person I'd seen do it as a finisher before then was Bull Buchanan, whose version wasn't bad. But then, as time went by, Booker started getting lazy with it, and it just looked like a half-arsed Rocker Dropper.

The Book End really was a shit Rock Bottom, you're right about that.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

No, the Playmaker is the worst finisher ever. It's fucking awful, I don't even know what it's supposed to do.

I always got the impression it was supposed to be a swinging neckbreaker, but done with the leg instead of the arm. Problem is, with the leg, it doesn't quite have the "snap" of a regular neckbreaker, so it falls flat.

9 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

imo, it's the build up he did for it that got it over, with the fingers gesturing to get up and the crazy eyes. it would look weird if he then hit the Edge-cution

For that particular move, yeah - but there always ways to build up different moves; am sure he could've come up with something for the Edgecution, or even the Downward Spiral. You're right that he had the right build-up for the spear, but that's kind of my point: it had the right build-up, it was protected quite well as a finisher, he could hit it out of nowhere, and people sold it like death - but it looked so shit when he did the actual move, and there was just no way to hide that, for me.

19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I never understood why the Angle Slam was so popular. It's just a Samoan Drop, and it doesn't look particularly painful (in comparison to other finishers).

Because it looked cool, and never more-so than here

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Because it looked cool, and never more-so than here

That's probably the coolest it's ever looked, but I always thought it looked pants most other times he hit it. Didn't look cool to me at all.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

The discussion about Rey Mysterio got me wondering about wrestlers who've changed up their finishers a lot over the years. Rey's had the West Coast Pop, Dropping The Dime, the Seated Senton, the splash, and he even upgraded the 619 from a finisher set-up to a full finish at one point.

What??? That sounds dumb as fuck and I don't remember it. When did Rey Rey pin anyone after just the 619 instead of following with a legdrop or crap splash?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's true - Stunners, Last Rides, F5s, I'm sure loads of kids have done those. That said, I never understood why the Angle Slam was so popular. It's just a Samoan Drop, and it doesn't look particularly painful (in comparison to other finishers).

When Angle just dropped (usually when performing it on big lads), The Angle Slam just looked like an elevated Samoan Drop. But when executed with the nice twirl and the slight twist to the hips, it looked great. Always looked devastating when done off the top too.

• Paid Members

Undertaker tried for years to get a submission move over, to go with his smalled penised fantasy that he has a rep as a MMA fighter. That Dragon Sleeper he used had the shittest name ever - "Takin's Care of Business."

Ideally, everyone should have a strike, a move and a submission you can put people away with. AJ had the right idea with the forearm, Styles Clash and Calf Slicer.

Seeing as I'm watching early 97 Raw, Crush's heart punch is utter shite. But then again so was his Cranium Crush in the early 90s.

Does anyone have two finishers as shitty as those?

--

D'Lo had a few decent movez. His Sky High Frog Splash was decent for a fat lad, his Low Down modified spinebuster(?) was good too (maybe I've those names the wrong way round). His Running Powerbomb was shambolic though- tragically paralysing Droz, although it did look the business. He nearly wiped Jarrett out with it prior to that, so I'm surprised he didn't have it banned.

Archived