crash zoom camerawork - enough already

elisarcabrera

Is it just me or is the crash zoom camerawork for impact shots being totally overused as to lose any impact it should have in the first place?

WWE should be using this technique to highlight and build up to an important move using to emphasise it. But to have it at almost every single punch, kick, shoulder just kills the reason for using it?

Is this common in all televised/filmed promotions these days?

Also crossing the line cuts on impacts also kills the moves and its surprising directors are doing this.

• Paid Members

It's been around since HD became the norm. You'd imagine that working snugger or widening the shot would be the answer but nope. More fool you. Putting rain man in charge of direction is WWE's answer. And it's copied and copied like lots of things they do.

• Paid Members

I don't think it's done to emphasise impact - probably quite the opposite. I was always under the impression they did it to mask strikes that obviously don't land, which is way more obvious since they switched to HD.

I see why they do it. To be fair, you watch action films and the camera's all over the place to make it seem like shit's going on. Enough people will be accustomed to it. I don't think widening the shot is a viable alternative. In a live environment where you have to direct and choose a shot in seconds what they do is less likely to expose things that don't land. And working snugger could lead to more injuries (though they probably are working snugger now than they have before anyway).

I'm sure there was a point a year or two ago where this was really bad, like 2/3 of the matches would have this going on (Smackdown?). Now its a bit more here & there but as mentioned I think its to cover up missed punches/moves.

Its the fan shots I think that bother me more though, panning out to the crowd looking for a reaction and fans almost pretending to be excited or by doing something attention seeking.

The one camerawork I do like is that the slow mo's now look on point, it sounds silly I know but seeing some moves in slow motion does look impressive, I'm not sure if this has always been around though? Seems like a recent thing in the last decade?

Archived