Wrestlers that turned in real life

Weezenal

Eric Bischoff. Went from an apparent arsehole in WCW to repentant in the WWF, distancing himself from the Scott Halls and Lex Lugers of the world and showing remorse for the whole thing with the Arn Anderson/Horsemen parody and his approaches towards Steve Austin and Ric Flair, rightly or wrongly, back to a guy on a podcast now who'll shoot down anyone who doesn't have the initials HH.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
36 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

When did Al Snow become one of the most miserable twats in wrestling? Watching him back in ECW and the Attitude era, you'd expect him to be a goofy, fun loving bloke. I remember watching his RF shoot interview from while he was in ECW in 98 and, although there's always been a sarcastic smart arse tone to him, he wasn't the joyless, sour faced fucker he's become in recent years. Just constantly bangs on about what draws, as if he was 80s Hogan, and that weird 'a match is only good if it draws' logic. Seems to absolutely detest wrestling fans as well and just generally comes off as a right condescending berk. 

Yeah I've heard Al Snow on a few podcasts, and he does come across all like "nobody knows how to work these days", "nobody can draw anymore", etc.  And of course, his matches are and were dull as fuck.

That being said, I absolutely loved when he turned that podcast mentality into a gimmick in TNA when he played the bitter veteran in 2015 I think it was, at least for the first couple of weeks until it morphed into a comedy character.    

• Paid Members

I second the mention of X-Pac as a rare real life face turn. Not someone I expected to turn out to be a really intelligent, left-leaning, socially conscious bloke with an adorable emotional support dog.

As for Al Snow, I worked a show with Frightmare from CHIKARA a couple of years back - really lovely guy - and someone, can't remember the context, mentioned Al Snow backstage, and Frightmare just said, "Al Snow's a dick" with a tone of voice that made it sound like Al had killed his dog. I didn't have the heart to push any further.

Joey Styles is another real life heel turn for me. The internet darling announcer, got by on goodwill for most of his WWE run, cut a "shoot" promo that had the fanboys squealing years before CM Punk did the same...and then when he resurfaces, turns out to be an impossible to work with, arrogant Trump supporting arch-Republican. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Joey Styles is another real life heel turn for me. The internet darling announcer, got by on goodwill for most of his WWE run, cut a "shoot" promo that had the fanboys squealing years before CM Punk did the same...and then when he resurfaces, turns out to be an impossible to work with, arrogant Trump supporting arch-Republican. 

It depends on what you caught at the time, but it was always there - during the last days of Dubya's presidency and the campaign for the new presidential candidates, Styles called Obama a "Marxist" - that's a sure sign of a Republican cretin who hasn't the first clue about any politics left of Genghis Khan.

• Paid Members

Aye, the rot definitely set in sooner than his more recent comeback - I remember Cornette ranting about him, and the odd dodgy comment, but his indie comeback being concurrent with Trump's election brought the worst of it out, I think. Hell of a trajectory from the voice of the "underground" promotion, to knocking out JBL, to having to be specifically told that he can't make political comments on commentary, doing it anyway, and getting sacked from everywhere.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I mentioned this in another thread but AJ Styles takes it for me. Bible bashing, Trump loving, gun-toting, homophobic arseshole. He's forever a heel to me.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Daniel Bryan mocking AJ for his flat earth views on Talking Smack was a highlight for me. Bryan is just laughing at him whilst you can tell AJ isn't even in character saying 'He has questions'

I knew I forgot something. I've added 'flat-earther' to my spiel.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I mentioned this in another thread but AJ Styles takes it for me. Bible bashing, Trump loving, gun-toting, homophobic flat-earther arseshole. He's forever a heel to me.

Shit, I knew he was very religious but did not know the other stuff about AJ. Bloody hell man!

Have to echo the X-Pac babyface turn. I am old enough to remember 'X-Pac heat' and he became serious 'Get the fuck off my TV!' material but, as has been said, he comes across as completely self aware, funny and just an all round nice guy in interviews etc.

Does Colt Cabana qualify or have people always thought he was a bit of a dick?

• Paid Members

I'd say Colt qualifies. When he started doing Art of Wrestling, he was definitely seen as the down-to-Earth, relatable indie wrestler, as someone fun and approachable, and the first guy to have the kind of goodwill the Young Bucks have now for ploughing his own furrow outside of WWE.

That, presumably, all fell apart around the time anyone labouring under that misapprehension spent five minutes in his company.

For me, it was refusing to have his photo taken with fans unless they bought something from him when they'd already paid for a Meet & Greet, not smiling in any of the subsequent photos, and being a sleazy perv towards a friend. All in the space of five minutes.

• Paid Members

Mick Foley for reasons mentioned here stuff I seen with my own eyes back at International Showdown.
I used to think Cabana came off as a funny, nice guy but I took a right turn off the chap during his AOW with Petey Williams. Williams was talking about Rhaka Khan and very innocently asked Cabana if he knew her, and Cabana took great offence to this question and in an almost "How dare you question my knowledge about wrestling". Something small and trivial, but I took a fair turn off him after that. Tried to get back into the AOW a couple of times since, and he just comes off as smug and condescending with names he deems smaller than him, or pathetic and brown nosing towards bigger names.

12 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Mick Foley for reasons mentioned here stuff I seen with my own eyes back at International Showdown.
I used to think Cabana came off as a funny, nice guy but I took a right turn off the chap during his AOW with Petey Williams. Williams was talking about Rhaka Khan and very innocently asked Cabana if he knew her, and Cabana took great offence to this question and in an almost "How dare you question my knowledge about wrestling". Something small and trivial, but I took a fair turn off him after that. Tried to get back into the AOW a couple of times since, and he just comes off as smug and condescending with names he deems smaller than him, or pathetic and brown nosing towards bigger names.

Yeah, things like that can really turn you off a person. I had a situation with a friend where I invited him along to dinner with his friend and my friend and he blew us off because he already had something scheduled with someone else but did it in such a way that it came off as "Like we'd come to eat with you peasants when I can be with the king and queen over here". Very prickish.

Archived