Nasty Boy John Lydon

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

If this is the thing you're thinking of (and it's hard to imagine him being asked back), hilariously, it's just his real teeth and glasses.

Oh fuck, that looks like the one. There's a minute or so that's been cut from the start of this too and it's equally as bad. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lydon's famous for going to places and embarrassing himself. Steve Jones (Sex Pistols guitarist) has a book out and its excellent. He pretty much says he doesnt want to do anything with the Pistols anymore, because Lydon is a over grown child, who will light up a fag on a plane and then shout at the staff. I've been a fan of the Pistols and Pil for years, and its hard work with Lydon sometimes. He was fantastic in I'm A Celebrity. Seemed like a sweat guy, with a great sense of humour. Then he'll show up at the Q Awards with his mini me ex-Arsenal hooligan mate and make a fool of himself by trying to be funny. Or when he went on Fantasy Football, and never came out for the second half. Jones says Lydon is an alcoholic, and hasnt gotten over all his troubles as a young man (getting meningitis, his mother dying, getting sliced up by skinheads, getting done over by Malcolm McLaren.)

He's basically Roddy Piper. The act worked in his 20s. But the wild eyed punk who causes trouble and spits at authority is quite sad when you're 60. You go into full on parody if you turn up in full gimmick at that age.

4 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Lydon's famous for going to places and embarrassing himself. Steve Jones (Sex Pistols guitarist) has a book out and its excellent. He pretty much says he doesnt want to do anything with the Pistols anymore, because Lydon is a over grown child, who will light up a fag on a plane and then shout at the staff. I've been a fan of the Pistols and Pil for years, and its hard work with Lydon sometimes. He was fantastic in I'm A Celebrity. Seemed like a sweat guy, with a great sense of humour. Then he'll show up at the Q Awards with his mini me ex-Arsenal hooligan mate and make a fool of himself by trying to be funny. Or when he went on Fantasy Football, and never came out for the second half. Jones says Lydon is an alcoholic, and hasnt gotten over all his troubles as a young man (getting meningitis, his mother dying, getting sliced up by skinheads, getting done over by Malcolm McLaren.)

He's basically Roddy Piper. The act worked in his 20s. But the wild eyed punk who causes trouble and spits at authority is quite sad when you're 60. You go into full on parody if you turn up in full gimmick at that age.

I'm not so sure it's an act to be honest, he just seems like a guy with a lot of issues. 

I was always willing to make some time for him until I read his book. Don't get me wrong - I was expecting barbs - but I thought there'd be some semblance of eloquence and poignancy in between them. Instead it was just page after page of "Well that's the way it were then. It's proper shit now, mind. Young lads in this game don't have a clue."

Worse yet are the punks - and I like punks - who still fucking slobber over him coz the mad thing about Johnny Rotten is that doing reality TV and butter adverts is really - when you think about it - the most punk shit you can do, isn't it? 

44 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Seemed like a sweat guy,

That'll be all that extra weight he's carrying

24 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Worse yet are the punks - and I like punks - who still fucking slobber over him coz the mad thing about Johnny Rotten is that doing reality TV and butter adverts is really - when you think about it - the most punk shit you can do, isn't it? 

Always bothers me when people say Johnny sold out.  What did he sell out exactly?  He said from day one that he is all about the money.  At one of the SPOT gigs in Coventry, people were going up to him trying to buy him a pint. He said no, just give me the money you were going to spend on it.

Rotten > Strummer

I agree, I couldn't spare a piddle if he sold out or not. What chaps my ass is people who really ought to know better trying to pass off his payday ventures as some inside job cultural subversion shtick.  

2 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I agree, I couldn't spare a piddle if he sold out or not. What chaps my ass is people who really ought to know better trying to pass off his payday ventures as some inside job cultural subversion shtick.  

Without veering, it irks me how middle class background band like The Clash and Crass were seen as authentic and working class backgrounds like the Pistols and Exploited were seen as not proper.  Always by middle class journalists as well.  And @PowerButchi favourite Bushell.

17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without veering, it irks me how middle class background band like The Clash and Crass were seen as authentic and working class backgrounds like the Pistols and Exploited were seen as not proper.  Always by middle class journalists as well.  And @PowerButchi favourite Bushell.

Funny you should mention The Exploited.

Wattie is another front man with health issues, but did you know he is a millionaire? I personally can't think of a more unlikely person to be this coined up!

It makes sense though because as the only original member of the band, there is only one mouth to feed. Assuming Wattie owns the rights to the name, perhaps he got most of his dough from decades of merch sales?

1 hour ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Funny you should mention The Exploited.

Wattie is another front man with health issues, but did you know he is a millionaire? I personally can't think of a more unlikely person to be this coined up!

It makes sense though because as the only original member of the band, there is only one mouth to feed. Assuming Wattie owns the rights to the name, perhaps he got most of his dough from decades of merch sales?

Jesus, really??!!  I would never have thought that in a million years, which is close to how long he's been going!  I remember him in a poster ad for (I think) Sega with him holding an armadillo.  I'd have thought Big John would've had more dosh after his brief spell in Nirvana, but Wattie, fucking hell!!

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not trying to veer the conversation myself here, but Cerys Matthews has recently been quoted as saying she'd be more inclined to play artists from a privileged background on her Radio 6 Sunday borefest. I find this disgusting. What else will I play in the background as I cook my avocado and walnut crêpes for brunch?

12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not now, boyo.

Cerys Matthews was recently being interviewed live on local radio, so i text in this question that actually got read out "Is it true that your friend Sir Tom Jones has a catchphrase that he shouts out when he gets interrupted "NOT RIGHT NOW BOYO"?

She laughed loudly & said she was not sure, then changed the subject.

Guilty as charged Your Honor! :D

Archived