Epic Fails

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Daffney as "The Governor" in TNA was wretched. It was typical TNA, really, hype something that you can't possibly deliver and then, when it dies on it's arse, pretend it was all a "hilarious" joke. The Voodoo Kin Mafia were shite as well, for pretty much the same reason, though at least wrestling fans would've cared if Michaels and HHH had turned up.

I'd probably chuck the WWE version of ECW in here as well. It was just a bad idea all round. It wasn't ECW and it wasn't WWE, it was a horribly awkward mix of both. They couldn't really do anything particularly "Extreme", because it was on Sci Fi, so they just kind of pretended. Like Kelly Kelly flat out saying she was going to get "completely naked", because it was ECW, and then walking away after the least erotic strip tease in history, because it was WWE. Or the "Extreme Battle Royal" where "All Weapons Are Legal" and every wrestler just went for the same flimsy baking trays and bins that had been used in comedy hardcore matches for years.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
37 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Daffney as "The Governor" in TNA was wretched. It was typical TNA, really, hype something that you can't possibly deliver and then, when it dies on it's arse, pretend it was all a "hilarious" joke. The Voodoo Kin Mafia were shite as well, for pretty much the same reason, though at least wrestling fans would've cared if Michaels and HHH had turned up.

Remember when TNA had those people in those rubber masks pretending to be Vince and Tripper at the Impact Zone/ trying to stop that footage of their guys coming to hang out at catering that time from airing like it was a massive deal. That was a whole lot of nothing.

Not only is the supermarket brawl a treasured relic of television history, it's also one of the first things that my friends who have not watched wrestling regularly in years will bring up when we start talking about it. Honestly. Maybe its because they're the same people who all stopped watching after the invasion, so Steve Austin battering Booker T in the food aisle is the last thing they remember with such vivid fondness. It's always the cell, Kane & X-Pac, the Worm, "I did it for da rock" and the supermarket. 

Elsewhere - whilst the whole segment has aged horribly - I've always loved Road Dogg's B'lo Brown during the Nation skit. It never fails to make me smile when he interrupts Triple H, shouts "the brother smacks himself down!" and then climbs the turnbuckles to do the neck thing. 

Crashs 24/7 skits, anything with the stooges bar the evening gown match, Regal & Tajiri and virtually anything else in 00/01 was great wrestling comedy. They absolutely nailed it in those two years, particularly 2000. Everything at the least was lovably inoffensive, comedy wise.

That evening gown match must be the worst fail of them all. Is there a worse thing you want your parents to walk in on you watching, wrestling wise?

Kg1F4kNl-600x400.jpg

Honestly, try me. It's mortifying. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’m remember Road Dogg cut the best promo of his life during that time, on two guys in a different company, for a match they could never deliver. 

TNA.

Supposedly Dixie thought the match would happen. I remember reading, at the time, that she'd set aside the million dollars for the challenge and couldn't understand why WWE hadn't responded to it. Imagine thinking Vince would agree to an inter-promotional match, and risk two of his very top guys being embarrassed, for a million dollars? I can't help but picture Dr Evil trying to blackmail world leaders and them all just pishing themselves at him for only asking for a million.

TNA had fucking loads when you think about it. Anyone remember when they announced that they'd signed a former WWE World Champion and it turned out to be Al Snow? I like Al Snow but, come on to fuck, when you have to go "Aaah but he was a *World Tag Team Champion* for about a week so it technically counts" then it's shite.

I don't know if I'd call it an "Epic Fail" but I found most of Russo's booking of women, especially in TNA, to be really uncomfortable viewing. The match where Roxxi lost her hair was just creepy as fuck. The storyline was literally that Jim Cornette, a babyface, wanted to humiliate a woman, any woman, so forced the whole roster to compete in a match where the runner up (not the loser) would get shaved bald. Why would anyone want to watch that?

2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

They absolutely nailed it in those two years, particularly 2000. Everything at the least was lovably inoffensive, comedy wise.

That evening gown match must be the worst fail of them all. Is there a worse thing you want your parents to walk in on you watching, wrestling wise?

Kg1F4kNl-600x400.jpg

Honestly, try me.

The Miss Royal Rumble 2000 swimsuit contest.

18 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

TNA had fucking loads when you think about it. Anyone remember when they announced that they'd signed a former WWE World Champion and it turned out to be Al Snow? I like Al Snow but, come on to fuck, when you have to go "Aaah but he was a *World Tag Team Champion* for about a week so it technically counts" then it's shite.

But he has drawn loads of money so technically he has had loads of great matches.

Archived