Member the 80s?

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

The Jim’ll Paint It Facebook page posted the image below last night, a tribute to 80s pop culture.

Even on a low quality Facebook style photo there is loads to spot on there - you can buy poster prints of it which will probably reveal much more!

What’s your favourite thing on there and what’s missing?

Prince getting out of a DeLorean is pretty special - and the Super Mario Bros billboard in the background too.

Nostalgia!

3B648E39-9117-4CC5-96B1-D92F02E56D51.jpeg

• Awards Moderator

It should be an easy nostalgia grab but there's so many nice details in it it's hard to be mean. eg. 

Prime holding a Nintendo Zapper

Murphy's Soul Food Café 

Gordon The Gopher driving the Ecto-1

• Paid Members

That’s spectacular, think I might have to make that my desktop wallpaper.

Although he’s actually a 2002 creation, Tommy Vercetti will always be my 80’s hero. Vice City is the game that really raised my interest in 80’s culture outside of movies etc. Been said numerous times before but the soundtrack on the game is just outrageous. 

Another 80’s hero of mine is Ringo Starr - the first voice of Thomas the tank engine no less! 

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's funny seeing Wimpy so prominent there amongst all the mainly American pop culture phenomena.

Yes I love the British angles. So much more interesting - yet it shows how influenced we were by America in the 80s that the vast majority of it is from there. I've been blasting through the Chart Music podcast (which listens like it's run by UKFFers, because everything is rated shit) and they commented recently how in 1989 America never felt closer yet so far away. We all 'wanted' to live in America because all our cool things came from there, but it was simultaneously a million miles away.

• Paid Members

Great to see Max Headroom there too.

It's always been fascinating just how "upward-looking" we've been to America when you consider just how much we've contributed culturally, not just to the US, but the world. Even in the 80s, we were punching way above our weight, musically at least - Queen, Bowie, Elton John, Wham!, Kate Bush, Duran Duran, Elvis Costello, Depeche Mode, Spandau Ballet, Simple Minds, Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, and a shit-ton more, I'm fairly certain.

(Cue someone else posting something about Ocean Colour Scene...)

• Paid Members

Favorite part is either Stallone rocking out with the keyboard, or Freddy Krueger, Pinhead and Jason doing the "Thriller" with Wacko Jacko.

Also really like the subtle "They Live" billboards...

Archived