How does your daily routine compare to Marky Mark's?

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I used to be able to work from home quite a bit, especially outside of term time, but terrible business reorganisation plans have put me in a big shared open plan office with other admin staff, rather than working alongside my actual team, and pushed me into more of a public-facing role rather than the more behind-the-scenes administrative role I'm actually contracted for (while expecting me to still do all the work I was already doing, natch).

Working from home at least one day a week will be the norm for most office-based businesses within the next five years, tops. Unless you're expected to interact face-to-face with clients or members of the public, there's increasingly little justification for most people to be in the same office all the time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Whole Show said:

This seems like an appropriate place to put this. At the moment, it takes me about 15 minutes to walk to work. I have been offered a new job though which is just over a hours commute, whats the furthest people commute- time scale wise?

My daily commute is an hour door-to-door, give or take a few mins. I used to work in Notting Hill, which added 20 mins on top of that and also used to drive to Southend every day- which could be 90 minutes (and that was outside rush hour, I made sure I started and finished early). Depends on your circumstances though really.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The Whole Show said:

This seems like an appropriate place to put this. At the moment, it takes me about 15 minutes to walk to work. I have been offered a new job though which is just over a hours commute, whats the furthest people commute- time scale wise?

I currently work a 10-15 minute drive away through some lovely country roads although I would happily commute longer/further if the money was right.

I feel like I've earned this short and enjoyable travel time though. I did city centre retail for about 7 years and that was a 90 minute journey (2 buses with two ten minute walks).

Then when I landed in my current job, it took three buses and close to two hours as there was no direct bus link so I had to go all the way round the wrekin to get there. I was working nights so when I finished at 4am I had to wait a further half an hour in the office before setting out on a totally different journey (as it was still night and one of the buses wasn't running) that regularly got me back home for about 6:30.

After a while I thought "Fuck this" and began walking to and from work which saved me a bit of cash as well as a bit of waistline. Took about 80 mins to get there and,  as it's fucking Birmingham, it meant walking up a lot hills so it knackered me out proper. Remember that Robin WIlliams stand-up bit about Scotland? How you would walk up a hill to get somewhere and walk up a hill to get back? 100% accurate in regards to fucking Birmingham.

Remember those 4am finishes? Yep, I walked home in the pitch black and the first half of the journey back home was through a heavily wooded area that led through a farm and eventually to a park and the main roads. I was looking over my shoulder every 30 seconds and every little noise made me shit myself. Each journey was like a real life Silent Hill, complete with a shitty torch to light my way. This horror all came to a climax when I saw a hooded man stood around a big fire in the middle of the forest at four in the morning. I kept my cool walking past him and I could see him turn his head to keep his eye on me (he was about 10 feet deep into the woods so it very close to the footpath) and I ran as soon as he was out of my peripheral vision. Ran my fucking squidgy arse off. He was probably a homeless person looking for warmth or one of the gypsies who had parked over in a nearby field but it was still fucking terrifying.

I got a bike almost immediately afterwards. My journey to work was about 25 minutes but remember all those hills? It fucking sucked. They were everywhere and steeper than a gambler's credit check. Did my back and neck in really bad. I only did it for a few months but I still have to sharply angle my neck and sharply haunch up back/shoulders to force out the air with a satisfying click. I also had to carry a backpack with my clothes in so I could shower at work, so it didn't take long to see the endeavour as pointless and not worth the agony.

Luckily I was then able to move to days where I could continue walking in safety and shortly after that I passed my driving test. So aye, I still love my journey to work and nothing will be as bad as that bike ride or coming face-to-face with death in the early hours so I'll consider any change.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I work for myself and spend most of my time working at home. On one day a week I have to go to Mansfield and Worksop, and on another day I have to go Retford for work. I live near Lincoln so both days it's about an hours drive. Apart from that no commuting.

Of course there are downsides to working for yourself. Trying to get invoices paid regularly is what takes up a lot of my time, so at least you lot got paid regularly for getting up early. 

• Paid Members

5pm (ish) - Wake up.

5 to 9pm - Relax and watch telly for a bit, do things that need to be done around the house. Have dinner ready for when my girlfriend gets home from work at half 6.

9pm - Shower.

9.40pm - Bus to work.

10.15pm - Start work. Get to the building dead on 10pm so go for a smoke then have a shit usually.

2am - Lunch time.

7am - Finish work then it's to Greggs for a sausage roll.

8am - Arrive home and have some brekkie. Watch some telly, drift off on the sofa most mornings.

11am (ish) - Shower then get myself off to sleep. 

Rinse and repeat Monday to Friday. This has been my routine for the last eight years almost. I'll adjust my sleep pattern on weekends so I'll go back to going to bed at night and waking in the morning like a normal person on the Sunday.

Absolute bollocks. Keep trying to motivate myself to get out of this routine but I'll most likely just keep on whinging about it instead.

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, The Whole Show said:

I’m just over an hour and a half door to door. It had previously been a 7 minute drive so it took some getting used to. Whereas it had been short and in my control (ie could leave work at any time whenever I was finished because I was driving), now I have to go when I have to go because of trains (one an hour and have to book in advance) but I can use train time to read, watch downloads or listen to podcasts which is quite nice.

• Paid Members

Give me a train commute over driving any day of the week. I get bored driving, whereas on the train I can read, check phone, watch something. Hell, on our carriage they have mini-parties when it's somebody's birthday and at Christmas, with some fizz and nibbles. Seriously. Utterly surreal first time I saw it.

• Paid Members

Agree with Johnnyboy here. It would take a lot of financial persuasion for me to go back to public transport. I'm in control of my journey, I can pop to the shops if I need to and run errands during lunch.

The amount of petrol my car guzzles must seriously outweigh the price of a bus pass for me to consider a change.

Saying that, this winter I'll be SORNing the car for a couple of months to go back to three buses and a 90 minute journey. I had a crash last October; the breaks locked up and I ploughed into a tree. So when the snow hit hard a bit later on I suffered from panic attacks and anxiety as my breaks would seize due to the ice. You have to go downhill to get out my street and then immediately straight up a much steeper hill, it's impossible to drive in those conditions. I only attempted it twice and both times I abandoned my car on a random street and walked the rest of the way.

I'm glad I did too as I saw so many accidents on my journeys, even a few right by my house. So whilst I'm not looking forward to a delayed bus service due to the conditions it's safer than driving in them.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Public transport is fucking shite and one of the best moments of my life was finding out I could drive again earlier in the year after a seizure.

If everything ran to time and you had a seat at peak hours, I would be inclined to agree with Punkstep. But the reality doesn't even vaguely approach that. First world problems, but there is nothing that causes me as much upset and anger in my everyday life as GWR. The amount of my life I have wasted due to those cunts over the past decade or so isn't worth thinking.

There is also an astronomical difference between catching a train in and around London and in bumblefuck Wiltshire. London is gold standard compared to 4 trains per day from Swindon to Trowbridge with 2 usually cancelled.

Edited by Gus Mears