"It all blurs together" - forgotten gems from this decade

air_raid

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd let them away with that. He was a last-minute stand-in, wasn't he? If it was a match built for weeks as Kurt Angle's return and he was in the kind of shape he'd want to be in for such an occasion, then yes, go all out with the music and the singlet and the pyro and the tears. But that might have all felt wasted on a night when he was literally a substitute Shield member, and the novelty of a legend taking part in their modern era gimmick will have been hard to pass up.

I know we like to hate on both guys these days but there was a really great match/angle between Dolph Ziggler and Alberto Del Rio at Payback 2013. Ziggler had won the World Title by cashing in Money in the Bank on Del Rio the night after Mania but shortly after was sidelined with a legit concussion. He comes back for this match as a heel against a face Del Rio. During the match Del Rio continuously focuses on the head of Ziggler executing a really great double turn during the match. Del Rio takes the title and it’s one of the few times a double turn happens effectively in WWE. 

• Paid Members
On 9/8/2018 at 5:14 PM, Grecian said:

After the 18 second debacle at Mania, Bryan and Sheamus had a 2/3 Falls match on the next PPV. That was one hell of a match. 

The reason the rematch is forgotten is that the show after Mania also had the Brock Lesnar return match vs Cena (Extreme Rules 2012). It was a great match, though, good shout.

• Paid Members

The Shield’s first big PPV match against Cena, Sheamus and Ryback in a six man at Elimination Chamber 2013 was superb. Purely going by memory but the first thing I recalled at the time was just how fast they were. The babfaces just couldn’t catch a moment’s breath because the pace was so relentless and you knew that the Shield group were going to be the real deal after watching it. 

Edit - Just thinking about it again I think there’s actually more stuff from NXT that will resonate with me from this decade than there will be from the main roster. Tyler Bate vs Pete Dunne from last year’s TakeOver Chicago is right up there with my all-time favourites for instance.

13 hours ago, Callum1993 said:

I know we like to hate on both guys these days but there was a really great match/angle between Dolph Ziggler and Alberto Del Rio at Payback 2013. Ziggler had won the World Title by cashing in Money in the Bank on Del Rio the night after Mania but shortly after was sidelined with a legit concussion. He comes back for this match as a heel against a face Del Rio. During the match Del Rio continuously focuses on the head of Ziggler executing a really great double turn during the match. Del Rio takes the title and it’s one of the few times a double turn happens effectively in WWE. 

Yes! I had forgotten about this, but remember being mesmerised at how well done it was at the time. Del Rio comes out for a promo later in the show to cement the double turn too. Seemed so odd to pick a relatively inconsequential feud on a relatively inconsequential show to try to pull off a double turn, with absolutely no foreshadowing if I remember correctly, but they did it brilliantly.

22 hours ago, TheTonetta said:

Bryan/Sheamus wasn't meant to get Bryan over, don't drink that fed Koolaid. 

I didn’t say it was meant, but long term it worked out wel for him

12 hours ago, gadge said:

The reason the rematch is forgotten is that the show after Mania also had the Brock Lesnar return match vs Cena (Extreme Rules 2012). It was a great match, though, good shout.

That whole show was great if I remember correctly.

15 hours ago, air_raid said:

Nope.

Yes.  On this occasion.  That was a fantastic match.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The Dart said:

Yes.  On this occasion.  That was a fantastic match.

Fine, ignore the brief. I expect nominations for Rock/Austin and the Canadian Stampede main event to come flooding in.

Archived