"It all blurs together" - forgotten gems from this decade

air_raid

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, The Dart said:

"ignore Ziggler, if you can help it"

Couldn't help it, sorry.

Is this match with Ziggler really that good that you couldn't help it? And it had fucking Del Rio in it as well, which can be argued as being worse. Woof.

I'd like to throw in the ladder match from TLC 2010 that pitted John Morrison vs 'King' Sheamus. This was to crown a number contender and, back then, I thought Morrison had all the goods to be a top guy in WWE. I totally forgot about it until it was included on a Best Of DVD a year or so later. Then I totally forgot about it again until now. What a gem!

I love a good ladder match but the WWE's offerings were getting stale at that point. To be honest, they still to this today rely too heavily on the same spots and the frustrating way they have people lying about for ages. It's even seeped into the 2K games now and I'm not even joking when I say that's part of the reason why I dropped the series back in '14/'15.

Anyway, I really liked this match way back then as I was invested in the feud, the prize and I was big Morrison fan. They gave the ladder match a new lick of paint and people were into it to see who won, not just to see nutty spots and bumps.

sheamusjomotlcjpg.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Ziggler I thought one of his better matches (and this match has also been overlooked imo) was the Survivor Series 2014 main event with the whole if the authority loses they lose power. It had the usual interferences and shenanigans going on, Big Show turning on the team and I think Sting also debuting. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Speaking of Ziggler I thought one of his better matches (and this match has also been overlooked imo) was the Survivor Series 2014 main event with the whole if the authority loses they lose power. It had the usual interferences and shenanigans going on, Big Show turning on the team and I think Sting also debuting. 

That WAS good but its both Ziggler and at a Big 4 show, and memorable.

The problem with that is that for Ziggler, who's always been apparently talented but very much "same old shit" and kept at his level except for fleeting instances, this was the quintessential false dawn, especially him surviving instead of Cena. Could have been a turning point, wasn't. Same when he was lined up as Ambrose' first challenger and changed his look again. He was back to being nobody within a month. He's not worth the investment, his whole career was a false dawn.

3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

That WAS good but its both Ziggler and at a Big 4 show, and memorable.

The problem with that is that for Ziggler, who's always been apparently talented but very much "same old shit" and kept at his level except for fleeting instances, this was the quintessential false dawn, especially him surviving instead of Cena. Could have been a turning point, wasn't. Same when he was lined up as Ambrose' first challenger and changed his look again. He was back to being nobody within a month. He's not worth the investment, his whole career was a false dawn.

Yeah sorry I was probably referring more to Ziggler being forgotten as opposed to the match. He stood out in the main event and although the show/main event was memorable I'm not sure if Ziggler was*, which sounds bizarre given he was the lone survivor and arguably the MVP of the match.

*Although I guess that's kind of the problem, for all the good he can deliver it gets forgotten about or no one cares.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, zep81 said:

WeeTLC

Eh, I feel like WeeLC is still chatted about. Definitely not a hidden gem or something lost to the sands of time. 

There's a lot of submissions here from the TLC PPVs and I wonder if that has anything to with the 'WWE Best Of 20##'  DVD sets omitting those matches as they're released around November.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

There's a lot of submissions here from the TLC PPVs and I wonder if that has anything to with the 'WWE Best Of 20##'  DVD sets omitting those matches as they're released around November.

Does anyone in here buy those?? Can't imagine the last time one calendar year produced enough quality to make me want to buy the best of. Probably pre-dated me upgrading to DVD.

• Paid Members

It's on a Big 4 pay per view so probably doesn't count, and I doubt it's particularly forgotten since I'm always banging on about it, but Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins in a Lumberjack Match at Summerslam 2014 is absolute dynamite. Easily the best lumberjack match of the last twenty years, if not longer.

58 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Eh, I feel like WeeLC is still chatted about. Definitely not a hidden gem or something lost to the sands of time. 

True.

How about Bryan/Orton From the December 2013 Raw? One of the best ever Raw matches IMO.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, zep81 said:

True.

How about Bryan/Orton From the December 2013 Raw? One of the best ever Raw matches IMO.

I remember the cash in, I remember Mania XXX. The middle I remember as a horrible collision of thinking they'd blown their wad meeting awful bait n switch followed by overkill and my favourite unnecessary addition to milk more out of a main event feud : The Big Show. Followed by binning it to move Orton on to Cena and revisiting it only because Punk walked. So it surprises and pleases me that one of their matches is mentioned here, I'll definitely be giving this a go.

Bryan and Orton had at least one really good match on Raw before the heel turn, as well. In the spring, Orton aligned with Team Hell No to feud with the Shield, and Bryan was on a mission to prove he wasn’t the weak link.

The six-man on SmackDown where they gave the Shield their first loss was great too, if I remember correctly. The Shield were having cracking matches on TV most weeks in that timeframe, and it’s hard for any particular one to stand out.

Not a match, but that one moment where Orton showed some personality on an episode of SmackDown in 2011 was a highlight. It was right around the time he beat Christian for the belt.

• Paid Members

There's a Regal Vs Antonio Cesaro match from the Christmas day 2013 NXT which is otherwise a clip show and it's brutal, but it's a brilliant technical wrestling.Cesaro obviously knows the European style and they tell such a great story. This is pre Network and I used to watch is on Hulu using my VPN. I think it's Regal's last match as well. I could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

There's a Regal Vs Antonio Cesaro match from the Christmas day 2013 NXT which is otherwise a clip show and it's brutal, but it's a brilliant technical wrestling.Cesaro obviously knows the European style and they tell such a great story. This is pre Network and I used to watch is on Hulu using my VPN. I think it's Regal's last match as well. I could be wrong.

There's a Regal/Ohno match from NXT in 2013 that's excellent too.

Archived