Love/Hate

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Wrestlers, shows, etc that you love and hate?

Couple of obvious ones from me. WrestleMania 9 is a show I have a lot of fondness for and love nostalgicly (that a word?) but I hate the finish as much as the next man. Fucking Hogan. That episode of Raw where RVD debuts and they form the Alliance was great. Loved it. Then out walks Steph to almost literally take a massive shit on the whole thing.

A big one for me though is Kevin Nash. He's always seemed like a cool guy, respect his attitude to the business side and have genuinely loved him at times when he was Diesel, when he was the coolest thing about the original nWo and when he and Alex Shelley where the funniest thing on TV. At other times, I've found him insufferable on-screen and, from what I've heard, off. Particularly when he fucked over Goldberg, when he couldn't be arsed for the last 2 years of his WCW run and most of his runs in WWE since.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

A big one for me though is Keven Nash. He's always seemed like a cool guy, respect his attitude to the business side and have genuinely loved him at times when he was Diesel, when he was the coolest thing about the original nWo and when he and Alex Shelley where the funniest thing on TV. At other times, I've found him insufferable on-screen and, from what I've heard, off. Particularly when he fucked over Goldberg, when he couldn't be arsed for the last 2 years of his WCW run and most of his runs in WWE since.

I came here to post the same thoughts. Excellent summary.

• Paid Members

Bret. He was my hero and he was in all my favourite matches and serial shagging around on his wife aside I've always thought he comes across a decent bloke, not least of all when I got to meet him. But I hate that I get a rinsing (rightfully) from some of my mates about how seriously he took himself and the thousand anecdotes that end with Randy Savage, Ric Flair or Pat Patterson telling him either he's the best ever or his match was the best ever.

Shawn. He's the best ever in the ring and he's been part of some of my favourite angles and even comedy bits they ever did. ("Hey Shawn, isn't that Mr Fuji?") But he'll always be Brets enemy and when he claims to not remember stuff because of how pilled up he was at his worst, I have a hard time believing him and deep down still think he's a cunt.

AJ. Love his work and support him as a wrestler and have many reasons to respect him as a man, but ultimately as a God botherer and homophobe, fuck him.

Brock. Love how special he made title fights feel to a point and love several of his better matches but despite thinking "what a great champion he makes" have spent forever wishing he'd fuck off forever because the TV without the champion appearing ever has been crap and meant too many Ziggler main events.

The Undertaker. Undeniably he's had some of the most magic moments and matches in my life as a wrestling fan, so despite what I'm about to say, obviously I think he's contributed more good than bad. However, I have to admit that pretty much every time he ever got near the WWF/WWE title it made me sad and hurt my enjoyment of the show, because I could never enjoy that character being at the top of the tree. Almost every feud, heel or face, I'd be gutted it was his turn to have a run at/with the belt and I'd be waiting for the day they moved on to someone else. And, frankly, there were times I just didn't enjoy him much at all, whether it was based on his character, his feud at the time or his wrestling style. Basically he's the prototype of a guy I find great in small doses but don't like seeing every week - and he was just there for so many weeks. Again, overall he comes out at a positive for contributing where it counts - truly memorable wrestling moments - but as a week-to-week guy I found him boring at least as often as I found him good.

• Paid Members

Fuck it, was toying with the idea for ages and prepared to take the grief.

Benoit.

Loved him for fucking years, first saw him in ECW, thoroughly enjoyed most of his stuff in WCW, absolutely soaked up the vast majority of his WWE run.

The he killed his family and I hate him more than any other celebrity I ever looked up to. A true pure hatred for the horrid cunt.

It doesn’t get anymore to the point than that for me.

I can love people and hate things they have done, but he stands above all, far above.

Kane. Absolutely loved early kane, loved him for years and years and even to this day he can still be cool to just see as a specimin. But i just hate how he has been getting worse and worse character-wise, storyline-wise etc. I love the dude, he has a look like no other, from the outfit to the size. Especially that time he was walking to the ring with the handcuffs on and the towel on his head... Damn! But yeah, i love the dude but hate what they do to him. I know he's not great in the ring, but look at dude!

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Benoit.

Not wishing to turn this into a Benoit thread but for me anything I liked has gone. Just find nothing enjoyable about him bec ause the second he comes on the screen, I just think about the situation and what he did. It's more that it completely distracts me rather than anything else but it's just such a massive black cloud over everything else. WWE might aswell have deleted him from history.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, air_raid said:

AJ. Love his work and support him as a wrestler and have many reasons to respect him as a man, but ultimately as a God botherer and homophobe, fuck him.

Yep, 100% agree on this one. Love him as an athlete, hate him as a person. Him and Orton have regular circle jerk sessions on social media and it sickens me. Fuck them both.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Yep, 100% agree on this one. Love him as an athlete, hate him as a person. Him and Orton have regular circle jerk sessions on social media and it sickens me. Fuck them both.

I don't follow him (or many wrestlers) on social media and when I've met him he's always come across as really sound but once you know there's an "ism" in there it's hard to forget, especially someone you idolized.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I don't follow him (or many wrestlers) on social media and when I've met him he's always come across as really sound but once you know there's an "ism" in there it's hard to forget, especially someone you idolized.

I met AJ Styles once, and that was at British Uprising 3. The show had finished and as he was celebrating with the crowd, he hopped the rail right next to me and just said, in his dusty southern trawl, "I gotta go sell mah gimmicks!" whilst walking over to his table.

But aye, I've seen a few snapshots of two sharing right-wing quotes and photos. There was one in the aftermath of the Las Vegas shooting where Orton was posing with his gun cabinet that AJ 'liked', and one particularly rough one was some quote about God not being taught in schools being the reason for all the atrocities. I never liked Orton but I used to adore AJ, so it's tough to see him as he is outside the ring.

CM Punk. An utter dick pull in real life and I wasn't a fan of much of his WWE run but he could be incredible at times.

Undertaker and Triple H. Two wrestlers that I'd put up there with my favourites ever, but there's been times when I'd almost sigh at the sight of them. Anything Undertaker's done since the streak has bored the shit out of me but the final few streak matches were as entertaining a series of matches as I've ever seen, for instance.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Not wishing to turn this into a Benoit thread but for me anything I liked has gone. Just find nothing enjoyable about him bec ause the second he comes on the screen, I just think about the situation and what he did. It's more that it completely distracts me rather than anything else but it's just such a massive black cloud over everything else. WWE might aswell have deleted him from history.

Yeah, he doesn’t exactly meet the criteria looking back in fairness. I once loved him loads, now hate him the most, rather than still liking elements of his character.

Archived