Hell In A Cell is next week apparently

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I was saying this to a friend the other day, you don't start a feud with a Hell In A Cell match. How do you raise the stakes from there? This should have been where Reigns finally beats Lesnar for the belt, Braun cashes in and then we start the chase into Mania.

• Paid Members

Almost a perfect game by WWE until that moronic conclusion.

Missed the pre-show match but New Day retaining makes sense - the Rusev Day implosion will likely play out on Smackdown now. 

Orton/Hardy - Fucking mental. Absolutely cracking brawl. The screwdriver spot was absolutely sick while the Jeff spot to close it was as shocking as it was spectacular. Could argue Orton could’ve taken an extra second before dodging it but you can’t knock it - what a spot. Definitely a match that will go down in Cell folklore. They just absolutely battered each other. 

Charlotte/Becky - Excellent match, very well executed from a technical standpoint and impressive that they put the title on Becky. Post-match leaves the door open for a Charlotte turn on Smackers between now and Super Showdown/Evolution. 

McIntyre-Ziggler/Ambrose-Rollins - Brilliant. They did a great job of building slowly as the crowd recovered from the opening matches and built to some top drawer false finishes near the end. The Ziggler/McIntyre partnership has well and truly won me over now. Another belter of a match. Also this is the first time I’ve heard the new Raw commentary team at length - Rene has the odd timing mis-cue here and there but other than that they are absolutely great together, and Cole was on top form calling this match. Serious potential in that three-person commentary team and it’s only going to get better the more hours they clock up together. 

AJ/Joe - Another seriously good match and I’ve no problem whatsoever with the finish. To have a heel win in this scenario after how personal the feud became and everything he put the babyface and his family through would have been a tough sell - whereas this now allows them to move away from the family element of the feud, but still gives Joe a massively legitimate gripe and more ammunition for his character as we move on to Super Showdown and beyond. Will be interesting to see how they handle AJ tapping. 

Brie/Bryan - Miz/Maryse - They actually had a pretty tough spot on the card to follow because of how well the show had been going up to that point, but again I thought this was pretty good. Absolutely solid, and Miz/Maryse are phenomenal in their role. Both couples are a great foil for each other either side of the heel/face divide. No issue at all with this feud continuing until Bryan finally gets the duke. 

Rousey/Bliss - Another great match! Rousey sold the ribs convincingly to the point where it made Bliss look like a credible threat, but without losing too much of her unstoppable aura. They can’t run an injury angle for Ronda every time they want to give her next challenger an edge but in this case it worked well enough. Rousey is the biggest star and best babyface in the company, and she has now passed pretty much every major test she can as a ‘new’ star. We questioned how she’d fare at Wrestlemania and she delivered. We questioned how she would be able to carry herself in matches with Nia Jax and then Alexa Bliss and she delivered. Her last test was to sell the ribs well enough to make Bliss look a threat without making herself look like a chump and she’s delivered yet again. Rousey is the new Hogan/Austin/Cena. 

Braun/Reigns - Aw man, they almost, almost hit a home run with this PPV. Every match hit the mark, there were few dead spots, the booking made sense, we got some incredible action and even despite Foley’s counting blunder midway through this was an entertaining brawl. Lesnar’s arrival was a surprise and the big beatdown was great. Then...the show just...ended. A Hell in a Cell match ending without a decision? You’ve got Mick Foley falling off the top and then THROUGH the top of the cell in 98 and carrying on until he got pinned. Just a couple of hours earlier Jeff and Randy goes to an official decision even after Hardy fell from a great height. Even after the punishment Reigns and Strowman went through they just lay there for about ten minutes while their stablemates came out and take each other out, and then after Brock’s attack they just end it like that? It’s just so, so puzzling. A Hell in a Cell match being thrown out because neither man can continue. Fuck off. Brawl itself was getting really good, but that ending left a bitter taste. Just have Roman fucking win a title match cleanly for fuck’s sake you gutless cunts. They’d just made Strowman look like a badass monster again too. Fucking idiots.

Even with that shit ending though, that’s one of the most consistently good main roster cards from top to bottom they’ve run in a long, long time. Brilliant show, just a shame the ending has stopped it from being something really special.

• Paid Members

I was tucking into my breakfast when Randy Orton decided to whip out a screwdriver. Boke!

Not sure how I feel about the ending. The 'no contest' was a little lame, but the return of bearded Brock was unexpected so I was into it.

The finish of AJ v Joe was really well done. It's the feud that's forcing me to keep my hand in at the minute. It's pure soap opera, but both men are doing good work.

• Awards Moderator

Good show overall, one of those where the first half is better than the second. I watched on mute, which I recommend because you can’t hear the crowd or the commentators.

Hardy-Orton was fantastic. Jeff’s best match since he came back and Orton’s best in maybe years. Everything seemed to click on this one, I loved it. Might be one of my MOTYC nominations.

Becky and Charlotte was very good, Becky is brilliant.

Tag Match was good, I kind of wished they’d combined it with the Roman-Strowman match and had a Shield Six Man HIAC (which, to be fair, in the end they kind of did). Super Show Down should be good.

I liked Styles-Joe despite the slightly unoriginal finish we’d just seen at Takeover Brooklyn. I loved how Joe reacted to losing though. That is how you react to a loss in a WWE Title Match. It matters.

When your Daniel Bryan Match is the weakest on the show, you know you’ve got a good show. Felt like it was more about Brie and Maryse than Miz and Bryan.

Ronda and Alexa was fine, I still don’t like Ronda selling for ages. She should get in, kill, win, and leave.

Speaking of, the main event was all set to be your standard ‘Roman gets beaten down for ages’ matches until the other four came out and livened it up considerably. The big bump was a bit contrived but I liked the roof stuff. Beardy Brock showing up was a nice surprise.

Yeah, good stuff overall!

I thought the ending to Jeff and Orton was flat, think the crowd did too. It was a huge bump for sure, but when someone like Jeff is making a point that he is going to do something insane that spot just didn’t live upto expectations. Maybe it was over hyped to the point where no realistic bump would have be enough. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Wonder where we go with Brock now, don't really want to see another Roman rematch.

Triple threat for the title at some point maybe?

Australia? Braun as the job guy to protect Brock & Roman, obviously.

I really enjoyed that. Even the ending. I'm not surprised to see people shitting on it, but for pure spectacle it was a pleasant bunch of surprises. Four guys on top of Hell in a Cell was the kind of thing you tried to do as soon as you loaded up Smackdown 2 for the first time, so it was the right kind of silly for me. The undercard was ace too. 

That was an interesting show, certainly refreshing after shit like Backlash and Extreme Rules

it all started off pretty perfect, New Day are always worth watching and it was a perfect way to open the event. English looked better than I've ever seen him look.

I hate Orton but begrudgingly admit he Is great when he is just being a sick cunt. The ear fucking was a brilliant idea and it was a blast all around. Finish a bit deflating unfortunately. Pretty cool spot though Orton moved a bit early, but it didn't feel like the finish of a Jeff Hardy hell in a cell match that's for sure

Charlotte and Becky have probably had better matches together, Charlotte felt a bit wooden and awkward in it, but I popped big time for the finish so that's all that matters

Raw  tag titles was excellent, Drew looked great as did everyone really. For as ridiculously stale as Ziggler has gotten, he hasn't been in a huge amount of tag teams so I hope these two stay together for a good while. It'll be best for everyone

AJ v Joe was good. Can't say amazing. Not much to say other than it's a shame we can't mix 2018 Joe's promo skills with 2005 Joe's in-ring ability, but it was far from a poor match. Still feels strange to see them fight in a WWE ring.

mixed tag was decent, not a big fan of the "they've both got wives so let's bosh them in" approach but it was pretty fun and inoffensive. Brie looks to have improved a bit.

don't care about Rousey and focused on other things during that match. not sure if her trash talking skills or her make-up are worse consistently. I did enjoy that snappy gutwrench powerbomb she did though. Alexa got a shitload of offence in which strikes me as wrong for booking a killer, but  I guess they had to make it not a squash after Summerslam

main event was a fucking hilarious trainwreck. it was like a Nitro main event. I found it pretty refreshing and very entertaining because you just rarely see THAT flavour of baffling overbooked bullshit around much these days. that said, it was fucking backwards shit. the guys up on the cell was fun and tense, and I popped for Brock's music but fucking hell - the people who that match was meant to be about look weak as piss. They just can't put anyone over Brock. Reigns basically got a sneaky distraction victory like Miz would get, Braun has looked like a fucking chump getting whooped two PPVs in a row. I only watch the PPVs so I don't know if they revived him from Summerslam but he feels entirely fucking Ryback'd to me now. what a shame

overall it was decent. the problem with these shows (other than devaluing the cell gimmick) is usually too many similar cell matches, that certainly wasn't a problem here. the first cell match was some kinkster shit with ear fucking and whips, and the main event was like if they put out a WCW One Night Stand.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I thought the ending to Jeff and Orton was flat, think the crowd did too. It was a huge bump for sure, but when someone like Jeff is making a point that he is going to do something insane that spot just didn’t live upto expectations. Maybe it was over hyped to the point where no realistic bump would have be enough. 

Slightly disappointed Orton didn't catch him in a RKO on his way down, although I appreciate that would have been almost impossible, it's what I thought was gonna happen when Jeff started swinging.

Archived