Welcome to the world of tomorrow - smart devices

Onyx2

• Paid Members

I'm another who got an Echo as a present and doesn't really know what to do with it. I find it makes a really decent bluetooth speaker but that seems a bit of a waste of it. Since we've moved house, I've sorted all my CDs and have a little CD player on the kitchen windowsill for playing tunes when I'm cooking or cleaning or just chilling at the computer with a coffee. So that's one less use for it.

We currently have Hive at ours (not my idea) where you can have settings such as the heating only goes on if the temperature drops below a certain point and vice-versa if it gets warm again. You can also set schedules up where it comes on when you like and also via an app where you can turn the heating on & off on the go.

I hate the thing as my other half has set it all up but apparently its meant to save money as well, I think its just her way of being in control of everything. I would throw her out but she would just make my life miserable by controlling the temperature for the rest of my life. 

• Moderators

Getting a Hive installation in a couple weeks  @Onyx2 (that's actually the reason I got given a free echo). Will let you know how it goes. I went for Hive over Nest because they support multi zone better. I did research some of the other less well known brands as well but they dropped out of the race. One of the main reasons is trust - if they go under and stop supporting their apps then you're left with nothing. Also, I like the idea of maybe eventually buying into some of the other products that work with the Hive Hub.

If I had the money then I would have done some more research into those heating systems where you replace every radiator valve with a smart valve that's linked to a central hub. I love the idea of that..

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Briefcase said:

where you can have settings such as the heating only goes on if the temperature drops below a certain point and vice-versa if it gets warm again.

What you've just described there is the basic function of a thermostat. Even the oldest analog mercury thermostats do this - it's what the word actually means.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Not sorry about the double post at all. Concatenating those two posts is impossible on mobile.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

One of the main reasons is trust - if they go under and stop supporting their apps then you're left with nothing.

Yeah I'm worried about that too. Nest is Google owned so that shouldn't be a problem. I saw the thing about zonal heating, couldn't decide how important that was. 

• Paid Members
On 9/1/2018 at 2:20 PM, Accident Prone said:

My missus is worse; she covers the webcam on her phone, tablet and laptop with tissue. 

We were eh, ‘busy’ one evening and I had this god aweful intrusive thought about Pops from league of gentlemen, sat in his pants, watching his hidden camera footage while eating his pot noodle.

Although fully invested in the activity, I jumped up without warning, accidentally elbowed her in the chin and searched like a mad man for something to cover up the camera on my computer. Nowt.

So I ran through to the kitchen and shouted “2 minutes” whilst she clutched to her jaw shouting “ARRGGGHHH”.

I found an Asda price drop sticker on a dented tin of kidney beans, ripped it off, ran back to the bed room, tripped over a shoe as I entered the room and smacked my head off the computer desk.

I clambered up to the computer, like a beaten wrestler reaching for the hot tag and slapped the sticker over the camera.

She looked at me, I looked at her, we both held our jaws, I give the nod as if to say “let’s do this”, she said “no chance” and went to sleep.

That was August. It’s my birthday next weekend so I’m keeping a pack of merlin premier league stickers on the bedside table in case I get lucky. Just need to make sure I don’t rip open a pack of those instead of a Jonny. That could be awkward, staring at a swap of Gary Ablett pre-mess.

66BE096A-2207-4265-A017-124BE861A58B.jpeg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Briefcase said:

We currently have Hive at ours (not my idea) where you can have settings such as the heating only goes on if the temperature drops below a certain point and vice-versa if it gets warm again. You can also set schedules up where it comes on when you like and also via an app where you can turn the heating on & off on the go.

Fuckin magnets, how do they work.

I can see how some people get use out of these things, but I can't say they appeal to me. The day I can't be arsed to get up and flick a switch, you can put me in a box. It's bad enough with the wife in control of the thermostat, leaving me roasting outside the covers trying to sleep in the heat haze in November. The neighbours obviously have a Hive thing because even when they're on holiday, all their lights come on in the evening, which gives my inner Scrooge shudders at the thought of getting one and forgetting to change the settings and thraping up our electric bill. Caveman for a reason though. I even avoid the dishwasher because i find doing housework relaxing. I've already told the missus that as soon as it only takes one of us to pay the bills, I'm going full-on househusband, like a less abs-y version of that old ice cream advert with that vixen I'm pretty sure was the Hall's Soothers lift girl. You know the one. "Washing's nearly dry." "And the shopping?" "On its way." Man bum.

• Paid Members

We got the Hive thermostat and smart hub two years ago when we got a new boiler fitted and I really like it. Very easy to operate, which can be done on your phone via the app if you like. We also have an Echo Dot linked to the Hive hub, so if I'm sat on the sofa and feeling a little chilly I can just ask Alexa to boost the temperature for me without moving. It's all non-essential gimmicks but fun to have.