Welcome to the world of tomorrow - smart devices

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

futurama_01_0105_going_robot_640x360.jpg

Inspired by @deathrey. I have three Google Home Minis around the house and it feels like living in the future. I am Captain Picard: "computer, plot a course to the Amagosa star cluster." 

I use mine all the time for music, random searches, passing time doing the washing up ("hey Google, let's play a quiz"), adding to shopping lists, setting timers and when I'm feeling cheeky broadcasting missives to the whole house. I never thought I'd go for these smart devices but they have changed the way I search. 

Google Home / Amazon Echo fans: what do you do with yours? 

Edited by Onyx2

4 Amazon Echo's/Echo Dots around the house to control my TV, doorbell cam, other external cams and Philips Hue lights (especially ideal for the late night bathroom shits, no dithering between going in the dark or being blinded by light at 3am, nice dimmed lighting really makes it a pleasant turd. Highly recommended)

Hive heating thermostat next on list in run up to Xmas. 

As mentioned in OP, ideal for setting timers/reminders, adding stuff to shopping list and playing music. 

Only caveat I have discovered lately is that my 3 year old now continually shouts "Alexa, play Hokey Cokey by Justin Fletcher"... 

I had an Amazon Echo but never used it for much more than a speaker or to ask it the odd question rather than googling it. Can't say I miss not having one now though. Once the 'Internet of Things' (think that's the correct term) becomes common and you can use an Echo or similar device to make you a tea or start running the bath or whatever then they'll be must-have items.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

I have an Echo as I was gifted one for a birthday a  couple of years ago. It sits in the office and I purely use it for Spotify.

You're bonkers if you set up the damn things to cameras and what not. There's been many a time where Alexa has piped into a conversation without being asked anything (hence why it's now turned off when I'm not playing music through it), so how do you know when some Google/Amazon exec isn't spying on you tucking into a chippie tea or having a cheeky go of it on the sofa?

My missus is worse; she covers the webcam on her phone, tablet and laptop with tissue. 

• Paid Members

I've got an Echo Dot. Unfortunately my flat isn't built in such a way that I can make use of things like smart lighting. So right now the Dot doesn't get a lot of use. But when we move to our next place, my plan is to make it as smart as possible.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I do not get the love for Echo/Dots/Home etc. Hue lighting on the other hand is genius! Lights on when I’m out to make it look like we’re home, controlling the colours and brightness. Syncing them to movies I don’t find too impressive but all in all certainly my favourite futuristic gimmick