Crap songs with a place in your heart

Nexus

• Paid Members

What songs do you have that you know are shit but you still enjoy for various reasons?

For example, despite the fact that I generally dislike the Black Eyed Peas, I Gotta Feeling is a song I frequently enjoy because when I was at uni, there was a shit club there. I went a grand total of three times - twice in my first year when I didn't know better, and then once in my final year with a group of my good mates to see Edith Bowman DJing. We were right at the front near where she was performing (sidenote - she is tiny!), and she played I Gotta Feeling and the place went mental and I just remember jumping up and down and dancing with my friends and it was great. 

I also have a massive love for Bubblepop by Hyuna, because when I was in my early 20s I started watching League of Legends online - crappy tournaments that were poorly organised. They would have breaks and would play Bubblepop on repeat, and it just became an earworm that I enjoy. 

Finally, Diggy Diggy Hole by the Yogscast. In 2014 my partner was in hospital seriously ill, and I was struggling to cope. Despite not playing Minecraft much, I stumbled upon the Shadow of Israphael series that the Yogscast had made in Minecraft and sat and watched all of it. It gave me something to focus on when I wasn't by her side, which made it easier to cope. I then moved on to other Yogs-related videos, including their songs. I sang Diggy Diggy Hole to my partner when she was still in hospital, but was slightly better, and it made her laugh because of its ridiculous nature. So it is a special song for me as well. 

• Paid Members

Flock of Seagulls - I ran. First heard it on Vice City along with a host of other brilliant 80's tracks I'd never heard before, and it also reminds me of many glorious summers spent on the North Norfolk coast. Ditto Reo Speedwagon 'Keep on lovin' you' is a lovely, cheesy ballad. 

• Paid Members

I get awful abuse for liking Liberty X on the whole (mainly due to the fact Jessica Taylor has look off her like she'd turn your bugle inside out), but I really love this song:

Also, this cheers me up whenever I hear it:

And this reminds me of a great time in my life when I used to actually love going to work, working with the best people you've ever met:

Honorable mention to this. This nearly got me a hiding on a bus on the way back into town from Underworld/Basement Jaxx outdoor gig because I kept singing "If you want to I'll change the situation" on repeat for about an hour until I nailed his voice. About 40 people wanted to batter me including the driver, and I was oblivious until I got off the bus and a gang of lads told me I better not be going where they were going.

• Paid Members

Freak Like Me by Sugababes is a wonderful mashup. I love the respective original songs, which means in theory I should hate it (like that fucking abomination Of The Night by Bastille), but it works so well. Such a cracking pop tune.

My nominations are anything by Scooter. The production is basic, the lyrics are nonsensical and even as a teenager I knew they were shit, but I loved them all the same. My favourite of theirs is probably Posse.

"But now it's Scooter oo-er super duper"

Their ridiculous lyrics are still better than the same old cookiecutter lyrics you get in most music.

• Paid Members

It wasn't so much a singular song that sprung to mind when I saw the topic title, but I always get a bit of a knot in my stomach and a tear in my eye when I hear any pan pipe music. 

My Grandad basically brought me up(along with my Mum and Nanan) after my prick of a Dad fucked off. Both he and my Nannan were fantastic people, so much so I would honestly call my Grandad my hero! But, like with a lot of people who live into their mid nighties we started to lose him to dementia. It was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever been through, to see this rock solid, great man crumble away. Anyway, years earlier, he used to take me into town during the school holidays and we would go into his favourite pub for him a pint and me some food. On one occasion, the pub had allowed a group of what looked like Klingons from the early star trek movies in to play their pan pipe music. Well, my Grandad thought it was fantastic and even payed for a tape of them.

Fast forward about 15 years and he is in the full grip of the dementia and can't even remember my name. I had to take him to an appointment in town one day, and while we we walking to it, we passed the same group of Klingons playing their music in the town centre. It must have sparked something in him as he turned to me, put his arm around me and said, "Thank for everything Kriss, love ya 'Nip'(his nickname for me)". Well, that was it. I was floored and started full on crying in the middle of Barnsley town centre. From that moment on, whenever I hear the pan pipes, or see the Klingony looking bastards I turn into a full on blubbing baby!

• Paid Members

@Keith Houchen Indeed - My thinking was more along the lines that it's incorrectly perceived as crap by many. 

@PunkStep Motion seconded on Scooter, absolutely love their stuff. None of the lyrics make any sense whatsoever but the majority of tracks have a real feelgood factor. You could do an entire thread about nonsensical Scooter lyrics. 

1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I get awful abuse for liking Liberty X on the whole (mainly due to the fact Jessica Taylor has look off her like she'd turn your bugle inside out), but I really love this song:

Also, this cheers me up whenever I hear it:

And this reminds me of a great time in my life when I used to actually love going to work, working with the best people you've ever met:

Honorable mention to this. This nearly got me a hiding on a bus on the way back into town from Underworld/Basement Jaxx outdoor gig because I kept singing "If you want to I'll change the situation" on repeat for about an hour until I nailed his voice. About 40 people wanted to batter me including the driver, and I was oblivious until I got off the bus and a gang of lads told me I better not be going where they were going.

You will like this with regards to Dennis Waterman tune.....listen to it all the way through.

• Paid Members

Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson. I know it's naff but it lives in my head.

My favourite reason for liking it though is how it was amended by football fans in the wake of the hilarious "Odemwingie drives to QPR, West Brom tell him to come back" fiasco.

"Hey, I just drove here, and this is crazy. I'm in your car park, so sign me maybe!"

Best of all the next game Albion played, sans Peter, was at home to mighty Spurs, and I went. We gave them some stick that afternoon, I tell thee.

• Paid Members

Half of these are tremendous songs.

The Party Animals Olivia Newton John cover “Have You Ever Been Mellow?” Brings back memories of when I was a well buff 16 year old chick magnet, and also reminds me of the tv music channel The Box, which I loved.

Similar for “Drill Instructor” by Captain Jack, a memory of the dodgy bar on the Spanish campsite I stayed at that year, where they served anyone, and only had one tape - lots of Wigfield, too.

I also like a bit too much of shoddy Brazilian pop for kids - my Spotify was packed with Xuxa and Mara Maravilha for a long time, although now there’s a lot of bargain basement disco by Boris Midney, which is about as bad.

• Paid Members

Josh Turner - Your Man

Awful. Dreadful. Very slight 'Blurred Lines' undertones. 

I adore it though. A friend added this to a road trip playlist a few years back and it became the song of the weekend. The voice and the lyrics and the melody, it's just a perfect mix of dire modern country that transcends the overall awful nature of the song. Wonderfully woeful.

Archived