The realms of possibility

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Straight forward question and could tie it in to one of our future radio shows.

Wrestlemania 40 will be ‘XL’ in numerals. How do we make it massive & what hasn’t been done yet?

Holograms, that’s what.

Hear me out. It’s been proven that holograms can work for the likes of Michael Jackson and Tupac for concerts and The tech is improving. Just go and watch that cool as fuck hologram/laser advert from earlier in the year demonstrating how it can be used for branding (Nike, Maccy.D etc).

Are we potentially anywhere near having hologram ‘legends matches’?

I mean, the possibilities are insane.

They could literally bring back the dead. And from a business point of view, you’re almost recreating proven ‘over’ superstars. It’s fantasy booking as it completely changes the laws of everything we are accustomed too. 

Mr. Perfect and Owen Hart vs Rick Rude and Eddie.G... shitting hell.

The downside, it’s not real. Simply by knowing this will it dampen the experience? Could it actually harm business? Could it put future wrestlers out of work?

So, the question is:

- Would you personally like to see hologram wrestling matches?

- If no, why not?

- If yes, under what form? (One off battle royal at Mania. They feature on every show, they have their own division etc?)

- What match would you book first?

... Yes, I had some fucking crackers dreams last night.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Straight forward question and could tie it in to one of our future radio shows.

Wrestlemania 40 will be ‘XL’ in numerals. How do we make it massive & what hasn’t been done yet?

Holograms, that’s what.

Hear me out. It’s been proven that holograms can work for the likes of Michael Jackson and Tupac for concerts and The tech is improving. Just go and watch that cool as fuck hologram/laser advert from earlier in the year demonstrating how it can be used for branding (Nike, Maccy.D etc).

Are we potentially anywhere near having hologram ‘legends matches’?

I mean, the possibilities are insane.

They could literally bring back the dead. And from a business point of view, you’re almost recreating proven ‘over’ superstars. It’s fantasy booking as it completely changes the laws of everything we are accustomed too. 

Mr. Perfect and Owen Hart vs Rick Rude and Eddie.G... shitting hell.

The downside, it’s not real. Simply by knowing this will it dampen the experience? Could it actually harm business? Could it put future wrestlers out of work?

So, the question is:

- Would you personally like to see hologram wrestling matches?

- If no, why not?

- If yes, under what form? (One off battle royal at Mania. They feature on every show, they have their own division etc?)

- What match would you book first?

... Yes, I had some fucking crackers dreams last night.

It’s just one step removed from watching someone play WWE 2K18 for me.

It is a novelt concept but I cannot imagine it would ever work or be a hook to pull in more views. 

Firstly the technology would have to advance at a tremendous speed to actually put on matches using holograms, the programming alone is years and years of work. 

MJ and Tupac worked as it was just old footage of them projected as a holograph no? Imagine having to code an entire match with multiple holographs. Also what happens during moves? Surely you would get the same as what happens in the old wrestling games where body parts become entangled and seem to go through bodies. 

And you are essentially asking a fan to watch what they could set up at home on a WWE game if it is just dream matches that you are clamouring for. 

Great idea in theory, maybe a little ambitious though. 

• Paid Members

A hologram division is a hilarious concept.

Are holograms good enough that they would be able to "physically" interact with one another and their surroundings to the extent that a wrestling match would require? It's one thing to go and see holographic Roy Orbison accompanying a real band, it's another to try and have a holographic Eddie Guerrero chain-wrestle a holographic Owen Hart, and run the ropes of a real ring.

It would be beyond uncanny valley, and fail to replicate the extent to which wrestling needs to feed off the audience, and the inherent "is it/isn't it?" appeal of trying to figure out where the line between what's real and what's "fake" falls in a wrestling match would be non-existent.

Now, opening the show with a holographic Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan addressing the crowd? Now we're talking.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

A hologram division is a hilarious concept.

Are holograms good enough that they would be able to "physically" interact with one another and their surroundings to the extent that a wrestling match would require? It's one thing to go and see holographic Roy Orbison accompanying a real band, it's another to try and have a holographic Eddie Guerrero chain-wrestle a holographic Owen Hart, and run the ropes of a real ring.

It would be beyond uncanny valley, and fail to replicate the extent to which wrestling needs to feed off the audience, and the inherent "is it/isn't it?" appeal of trying to figure out where the line between what's real and what's "fake" falls in a wrestling match would be non-existent.

Now, opening the show with a holographic Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan addressing the crowd? Now we're talking.

Now that is an idea! I'm pretty sure it would destroy my emotions though. I'd go from being giddy as kid seeing the two greats welcoming us to 'Mania XL, to blubbing like baby at seeing two of the past legends that were part of me falling in love with wrestling in the first place.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

It’s just one step removed from watching someone play WWE 2K18 for me.

Unfortunately that's nowhere near as preposterous as it sounds. The success of esports is utterly baffling to me.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Unfortunately that's nowhere near as preposterous as it sounds. The success of esports is utterly baffling to me.

Absolutely this.

Apart from the fact that there’s no ‘unfortunately’ about it. The esports industry is clearly where I’ll become a millionaire and plough it all in to recreating tge Rick Rude vs Warrior Pose-down in hologram form.

• Paid Members

All I want from holograms in wrestling are Steve Austin vs. Goldberg, and Randy Savage vs. The Rock.

Also, maybe two holographic aeroplanes crashing into two real models of tower blocks, just to piss off Alex Jones.

Archived