Tokens

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Do you think WWE could do their blatant box-ticking on their commentary team without harming the commentary? No matter who they've chosen to be the diverse one has been abysmal so far. Booker, Otunga, Saxton, Coachman and Percy Watson are all terrible commentators. Renee young wasn't as bad, certainly a step up on Lita, but not great.

The answer, as WCW found, is clearly Stevie Ray!

Seriously, I think Titus O'Neil could be good. He's a great talker who seems to get it. Isn't pulling up any trees as a wrestler and is a respected dude.

Apologies for being deliberately derogatory. Was just being flippant. This isn't wholly an issue of race or gender because apart from Corey Graves sometimes, their "male, white" commentators are shit too.

Even in TNA the ‘token’ announcer they had was The Pope D’Angelo Dinero and he was terrible too. Somebody like Xavier Woods could be good after he retires. Can’t really think of anyone else under contract who would be an improvement. If they wanted to go down a different route with a third announcer I’ve always thought Big Show or Christian could do a good job. Overall though WWE commentary is probably the worst it’s ever been. 

I always thought that Stevie Ray, with his "yaks" and "fruit booties", was the more entertaining talker out of Harlem Heat.

Guest commentators like Slick and Ernie Ladd didn't always get appreciated back in the day, but I'd take listening to them and Lord Alfred Hayes and Superstar Billy Graham and Rod Trongard over the current crop any day.

14 hours ago, Callum1993 said:

Even in TNA the ‘token’ announcer they had was The Pope D’Angelo Dinero and he was terrible too. Somebody like Xavier Woods could be good after he retires. Can’t really think of anyone else under contract who would be an improvement. If they wanted to go down a different route with a third announcer I’ve always thought Big Show or Christian could do a good job. Overall though WWE commentary is probably the worst it’s ever been. 

Christian will never get onto the announcers desk while Vince is still around. He might have a shot at calling an international version of something like they did with Heat back in the day but Vince likes announcers to be attractive to his standards these days.

• Awards Moderator
On 8/29/2018 at 2:04 PM, Callum1993 said:

Xavier Woods could be good after he retires

Now would be just fine with me. He's an utter non-entity in the ring. Though he could probably talk up a good match. 

Give him his due, I thought Percy had a decent Takeover the other week. 

And I don't want him distracted from his in ring career right now but Velveteen is probably ace at commentary. 

• Paid Members

Percy Watson is definitely improving - which isn't a huge compliment, given where he started. The one TakeOver that Nigel McGuinness missed, I thought Watson and Mauro made a decent team, which makes me think it's three man booths that are the problem as much as any single announcer.

I'd take Booker T over Coach; at least he brings some personality to the table, even if he usually doesn't have a clue what's going on. 

I wonder if they've ever considered giving Mark Henry a shot on commentary? His voice might be a bit too deep for it, but he's a company guy, with a great mind for the business, it could work out well. Maybe D-Von, too, in terms of guys working there but not on TV.

There was a story going round that they might be giving Jason Jordan trial shifts as a producer in case he doesn't fully recover from his neck injury - I can't really picture it, but he could be someone worth a punt on commentary too. I can't imagine him having the experience to be an effective agent, either way. 

Archived