Mobile Phone Formation

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Mobile: either 5-3-3 or 5-6. Occasionally 5-2-2-2 if the last six digits can be memorably paired together as three double digits.

Landline: All of NI has the area code 028 followed by eight digits with the first digit normally (with a few exceptions) corresponding to the county of the phone exchange except for Greater Belfast which begins with 9, i.e 028 9xxx xxxx, so should be 3-4-4. But even though it's been this way since 2000 I still see a few people put their landline number down as 028xx xxxxxx, 028xxx xxxxx or worse still as (028xx) xxxxxx etc. as even after 18 years some people still seem to struggle that their five or six digit local phone number back in the 90's is now eight digits across the board.

Over in Britain it's a bit more awkward as the area code can be 3, 4, 5 or even 6 digits long with the total length of the number being 10 or 11 digits. How you quote your phone number is going to depend on how long your area code is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just because my mobile number is tricky with lots of 0s 1s and 9s, I've had to resort to a 4421.

But landline and all previous numbers have been 533.

I miss the days of 33, because everyone you knew had the same dialling code and no sod had mobiles.

• Paid Members

The landline thing seems to vary quite a bit, though. Where my family in Yorkshire live, it makes sense to do 5-3-3 because the area code is 01924, but I'd imagine it's different for Liverpool, Manchester, or Glasgow, who have 01X1 codes (at least, I think so).

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

All depends on what numbers I have, weirdly enough. I remember sequences easier in certain patterns. So my old number was the standard 5-3-3, but now I use 4-4-3 for my new number.

This. I recite my mobile number 3-4-4. But it’s also the only mobile number I know off by heart.

Landline numbers, it depends on the area code. Darlington, the town I grew up in, is 01325 so I would recite numbers 5-3-3, but Newcastle (where I’ve lived for the past ~8 years) is 0191, so I’ll use a 4-3-4 pattern.

Archived