Bellator 206: Mousasi vs MacDonald - Sep 29 - Live on Channel 5

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I searched "Channel 5" on Twitter as it happened, hilarious and furious tweeting going on. So much Peppa Pig hate. If they'd have kept up-to-date on the UKFF they may have been able to prepare themselves for this possibility 😂 That was my first ever time watching Bellator, thankfully I had only tuned in for Jackson/Silva really. I did manage to catch most of the main event elsewhere. 

I managed to find a stream for the main event. I would have been pissed off had I missed it. Mousasi was the main reason I set my alarm for 3am. That, and the novelty of watching MMA on TV for once (I don't subscribe to BT). 

It was a nice performance from Mousasi. He has a laser jab for MMA standards and a wicked top game. I suspected beforehand that Rory had to fight the perfect fight to win. Once Mousasi got on top after Rory's failed takedown attempt, it was all over. 

Pico is still a work in progress and you can imagine him getting clipped again. But his potential is obvious. Rampage vs Wanderlei was what it was. Both are a far cry from what they were in the early 2010's, let alone what they were in their mid 2000s primes. The fight went as expected. You got the sense that Rampage was going to get the stoppage eventually. Rampage probably has a few more fights in his locker at heavyweight. Fedor vs Rampage would make sense if Fedor doesn't win the Grand Prix. 

Regardless of whether Bellator's deal with Channel 5 is worth enough to change for, last nights main event started after 1am for people on the east coast of the US, the  main population area of the country. Either start earlier, or have 5 fights instead of 6 on the main portion of the card. People are going mad at Channel 5 but what were they supposed to do? If they'd shown the main event and young children had been getting up early on Sunday morning to watch Peppa Pig and been presented with a bloody cage fight there'd have been hell to pay.

• Paid Members

Bellator had absolutely no need for a show going as long as that. Learn from the mistakes of UFC - that of dragging out cards way too long. Apart from the problem of too many main card fights, they also had too much filler. It takes too long to get from fight to fight. It wasn't Channel 5's problem at all, Bellator dropped the ball here. 

But, also, Channel 5 is owned by the same parent company as Viacom. They’ll have had running orders.

Put it further up the EPG without an expectation of a child audience, and you can finish the show. Put it on 5Spike or some shit.

Basically, don’t advertise it as live if you know you won’t be able to fulfill. I saw the running order 3 days ago. The main event was never scheduled to begin before 6.

• Paid Members

That Pico chap looks like an exciting prospect. The ref in that fight should’ve been ashamed of himself though. Super late stoppage.

Rampage vs. Silva was all kinds of fun. Both are clearly past their prime and Rampage looks a state at Heavyweight, but I still enjoyed that more than most UFC fights between guys I’ve never heard of.

I’d already seen that Peppa Pig episode, but it was still a good one.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Peppa Pig in the main event. Incredible. Absolute scenes.

What is Bellator coming to booking that? Bellator 300: Peppa Pig vs CM Punk? 

Anyway, I missed the main event. Not happy. I've seen the result now, I'll find it to watch later but it's not the same is it? Thanks Bellator. If they'd done what Daz was saying and stuck to a 4 fight main card we'd have been fine. But with a 6 fight main card and two 5 rounders scheduled, what were they thinking? 

Rampage vs Wandy 4 was a lot of fun I thought. If you went into this with realistic expectations and weren't anticipating them to recreate 2004, it was entertaining enough in a perverse way. But they're both clearly over the hill. I actually thought Wandy was getting the better of most of the exchanges throughout the first round and some of the second. Rampage wasn't throwing all that much and, despite him moaning that Wand was 'running' at one point, it was Rampage who kept just clinching against the fence whenever Wandy landed anything. But whenever Rampage did throw and connect, you could see the discrepancy in power. Like as said going in, I think that extra 27lbs or whatever it was was just too much. Wouldn't be against Rampage vs Fedor at some point. Hopefully Wandy just retires now. 

Aaron Pico looked a beast against a very real opponent. There's still something about him that rubs me the wrong way but you can't deny he's looking every bit the part of a future player in the sport. 

Nice finish by Lima as well, winning the trilogy with Koreshkov. Bolanos looked good in the opener. Melendez vs Zimmerman was the only real poor fight from what I saw. People will probably blame its shitness on it being a women's fight but this is what can happen, regardless of genitals, when you stick 2-0 vs 0-0 on a main card. It's pretty much an amateur fight.

Solid show. What I saw of it anyway. 

image.jpg

• Paid Members

Wanderlei just doesn't look right in the long shorts. He needs to go back to the nut huggers. 

Really good to see Josh Rosenthal reffing again. How long has he been back? Always thought he was a very competent ref for the most part. 

• Paid Members

Apparently Rosenthal has been back reffing for a while, someone asked Marc Raimondi on twitter the other day and he say Rosenthal has been back 'about 2 years' I think. Guess he's just been working mostly small shows. Always thought Rosenthal was one of the better refs so hopefully we'll see him back working the UFC shows soon. 

• Paid Members

Moussasi looks unstoppable, doesnt he! Lovato Jr is a great fight for him next but you have to heavily back him to win that too.

Moussasi is now 10-1 in his last 11 fights and that loss to Uriah Hall he avenged. Good for him for going to Bellator and (I assume) making good money, but how great would it be to have him in the mix in the UFC WW division right now? Woodley / Moussasi, Till / Moussasi, Wonderboy / Moussasi ... yes please!

Archived