Foreign Objects

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I assume the only reason Moppy is not on the list is because Saturn couldn’t bear to use her as a weapon?

Yeah, Moppy was a bit like Eddys Low Rider for us. Part of the gimmick but not a true foreign object.

More of a hindrance really, a bit like Sapphire, but probably less absorbent.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I definitely consider ladders at the Hardy signature weapon, especially Jeff. They got saddled with them after No Mercy '99 and it was cemented with all the build-up to the those two big first TLC matches; E&C being linked with chairs, The Duds to tables and the Hardys to ladders.

Any gimmick match involving the Hardys would usually involve ladder and the commentary would push this whenever they got involved. Hell, they even used a ladder during their cage match with E&C at Unforgiven 2000. In fact, I'm struggling to think of a hardcore/gimmick match involved Matt and/or Jeff that didn't involve the use of ladders, especially during their 200-2002 run. Even on their subsequent returns you'd be hard pushed to find a match of theirs with little-to-no rules that didn't include a ladder.

All fair points, but I don’t know, something just doesn’t add up. Apart from a couple of obvious highly replayed high spots (Jeff off the top), it’s not like it was a weekly used gimmick was it?

Not like the Con-Chair-To, or a ‘get the tables’ spot. 

They were good at using a ladder, does it make it ‘theirs’ though?

Reading through, I feel I'm not alone in lamenting the lack of "signature" weapons any more. We have part time HHH and his sledge, We had the Bludgeon Bros and their "mallets"...dammit, we need more unique weapons. Turn New Day heel and weaponise those pancakes with thumb tacks. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

Reading through, I feel I'm not alone in lamenting the lack of "signature" weapons any more. We have part time HHH and his sledge, We had the Bludgeon Bros and their "mallets"...dammit, we need more unique weapons. Turn New Day heel and weaponise those pancakes with thumb tacks. 

Bludgeon mallets - a great shout and defo something that slipped through the fisherman’s haul.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

They got saddled with them after No Mercy '99 and it was cemented with all the build-up to the those two big first TLC matches; E&C being linked with chairs, The Duds to tables and the Hardys to ladders.

The chairs thing felt really forced at the time for me. Hardys and ladders, Dudleys and tables, I understood and felt organic. But giving the other pair chairs and saying it was their "thing" made me very much go "Really? Is it?"

As an aside, the whole concept of the "TLC match" as a thing really irrationally aggravates me, especially on a PPV where they also advertise a "ladder match." Because you see - "TLC matches" don't exist. A ladder match is a ladder match. If you climb the ladder and retrieve what's dangling, you win. There's no DQ if you use a chair or a table or whatever the fuck else you want anyway. The ladder match at Mania 16 involved tables and chairs. But "TLC match" as a (meaningless) label didn't exist yet so SummerSlam was said to be the first.

Exceptions are the even more worthless "TLC match" promoted outside WWE in which the weapons are used but victory is still obtained by pinfall or submission - common in BritWres. So.... a no DQ match?

"TLC match" ... yeah, doesn't exist. It's a ladder match or it's not, the only distinction.

• Paid Members

Then of course you get TNA’s version of TLC, “Full Metal Mayhem”, where anything made of metal is legal. Tables qualifying due to having metal legs, one assumes... So really, anything even partially made of metal must be legal.

It’s almost like they came up with the name first.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Statto said:

Then of course you get TNA’s version of TLC, “Full Metal Mayhem”, where anything made of metal is legal. Tables qualifying due to having metal legs, one assumes... So really, anything even partially made of metal must be legal.

It’s almost like they came up with the name first.

UGH, TNA makes me think of "Monsters Ball" and "hardcore" "streetfight" and millions of unnecessary euphemisms that only need to boil down to no DQ or falls count anywhere.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

UGH, TNA makes me think of "Monsters Ball" and "hardcore" "streetfight" and millions of unnecessary euphemisms that only need to boil down to no DQ or falls count anywhere.

I'd have thought you'd be one of the first people to know that there's no point in thinking too much about this sort of thing. Ultimately, a lot of wrestling is just dressing up the same stuff as something different. Hardcore, No DQ, Streetfight, Unsanctioned Streetfight, Lights Out, No Holds Barred - they're just given different names to fit the nature of the storyline, really.

• Paid Members

If it came with a Hasbro figure it's on my list. The golden age of foreign objects!

Having said that, Regal's Brass Knuckles are my favourite! I used to get such a kick out of him sneaking them into his matches. Was fun to see The Miz bring them back to twat Daniel Bryan recently.

I would definitely welcome a return of more gimmicky weapons though. The Bludgeon mallets are mega gimmicky, but I like that. Bray Wyatt seems like a character that should have a signature weapon.

22 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Hardcore, No DQ, Streetfight, Unsanctioned Streetfight, Lights Out, No Holds Barred - they're just given different names to fit the nature of the storyline, really.

You have to wear jeans in a street fight which obviously makes it the most superior of all match stipulations.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Statto said:

Then of course you get TNA’s version of TLC, “Full Metal Mayhem”, where anything made of metal is legal.

We need an organic wrestling promotion, in which their weapons are 100% recyclable.

They only use locally picked talent and every gimmick is biodegradable.

Their woman’s champion can be Miss Shapes.

I’ll stop now.

12 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Bray Wyatt seems like a character that should have a signature weapon.

He does.  Get into a program with him and he sucks the life out of you for months.  HE plays the long game.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Bludgeon mallets - a great shout and defo something that slipped through the fisherman’s haul.

Really? Horrible looking papier mache things. They're down there with those tin foil roasting trays and rubber "steel" bars from WCW.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

IBray Wyatt seems like a character that should have a signature weapon.

That's the Hasbro head talking.

Archived