Vampiro, Striker... true professionals

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, returner82 said:

Reminds me of Rico at that one Royal Rumble screaming for Jeff Hardy to come over to him.

Survivor Series 2002 that was, he shouted 'Hurry up Jeff goddamn it' or something, really loud and obvious as well. On the same show we were also treated to Scott Steiner shouting 'GIMME THE FUCKIN MIC'. I bet Vince went into a full-blown sneeze rage that night.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The very odd thing is that I don't recall seeing any prior instance where music has been played for a guy getting up from the announce table - be it guest commentator or regular announcer - in this kind of situation.

When announcers have entered the Rumble, sure. But not when they are already out there & get called out/choose to get involved. It's not like it's something that ALWAYS happens, and that for music to not play would make it look odd.

• Paid Members

In terms of why he needed music to play when he was just getting up from the announce table, I saw it as akin to him making the distinction between "Vampiro" and "Ian Hodgkinson" on Lucha Underground. The music playing meant this wasn't Ian The Producer getting up to do something, or even Vampiro The On-Screen Authority Figure, this was Vampiro The Wrestler.

Not much of an excuse, but the only one I can come up with. It was hilarious when it happened, but not in a way that reflects well on AAA, and Matt Striker's attempts to cover for it were well-intentioned but delivered by a complete melt with no sense of appropriate context, so just made it worse.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Survivor Series 2002 that was, he shouted 'Hurry up Jeff goddamn it' or something, really loud and obvious as well. On the same show we were also treated to Scott Steiner shouting 'GIMME THE FUCKIN MIC'. I bet Vince went into a full-blown sneeze rage that night.

Survivor Series 2002 was Bubba Dudley shouting for Jeff to get his ass into place.. Steiner's debut was amazing. Then he had those matches with Tripper.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Survivor Series 2002 was Bubba Dudley shouting for Jeff to get his ass into place..

Nah, it was Rico. I can still picture him shaking on the top rope yelling for Jeff for an eternity to push him through a table.

10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The cue might have been important but you cant justify shouting it live down the commentary feed whilst on camera.

No doubt Konnan will comment this on his podcast, he and Vampiro have only started to work with each other again after years of genuinely hating each other.

Vampiro fascinates me though. I wouldnt say im a fan of him in ring but anytime he does an interiew or a podcast i gotta listen because the bullshit that comes out of his mouth is just amazing.

Clearly it was unprofessional just pointing out what probably lead to it, his frustration at the crew fucking up once ago. they also don't take the english commentary seriously, it's an after thought.

17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

In terms of why he needed music to play when he was just getting up from the announce table, I saw it as akin to him making the distinction between "Vampiro" and "Ian Hodgkinson" on Lucha Underground. The music playing meant this wasn't Ian The Producer getting up to do something, or even Vampiro The On-Screen Authority Figure, this was Vampiro The Wrestler.

Not much of an excuse, but the only one I can come up with. It was hilarious when it happened, but not in a way that reflects well on AAA, and Matt Striker's attempts to cover for it were well-intentioned but delivered by a complete melt with no sense of appropriate context, so just made it worse.

Pretty sure he was just looking for the pop. which finally came when his music hit.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Nah, it was Rico. I can still picture him shaking on the top rope yelling for Jeff for an eternity to push him through a table.

Yep, it's 100% the Rico one. It was slyly edited off the DVD release, you wouldn't even notice unless you had seen the fuck up prior.

• Paid Members

My mistake. Just tried to find it, but it looks like it's been edited out. It's ace  when D'Von runs in.

Has there ever been a wrestler as shit as vampiro? Full of ego and arrogance. I'm sure people on here will come out and justify his place but I cannot recall a decent match of his. 

The way he demands his music play like a petulant child confirms that he is a waster. Shoddy behaviour there.

• Paid Members

Yep, it was Rico. 1:25 in on the following clip that does look and sound like it was encoded in 2002.

As for Matt Striker, two things strike (!) me about him. One is that he struggles to understand that quite often, less is more. Not everyone watching needs to have the unfamiliar explained to them there and then as quite often the viewer should be given the first opportunity at least to try and work out what is going on. Secondly, you can tell that he's had a past job as a school teacher, because he's fallen into the habit that a lot of school teachers have of talking to adults much the same way as they talk to children - the plural being important as on a singular level they don't usually talk to an adult the same way as they talk to a child. A common outcome of struggling to talk differently between groups of adults and groups of children is that the adults often feel patronised if not feeling that their intelligence is being insulted. Given the English speaking audience this show would have been aimed at, his attempted explanation for Vampiro's ranting down the headset is unlikely to have fooled any but a tiny few; had he done this in the WWE, he likely would get a bollocking for it backstage but at least a larger share of those watching wouldn't straight away question what he said.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Wideload90 said:

Has there ever been a wrestler as shit as vampiro? Full of ego and arrogance. I'm sure people on here will come out and justify his place but I cannot recall a decent match of his. 

The way he demands his music play like a petulant child confirms that he is a waster. Shoddy behaviour there.

I love Vamp, but find it hard to disagree with any of this. 

I think the key point around him demanding his music played is that he's not just a wrestler, he's also the producer for most AAA shows - while it was still a petulant tantrum, it wasn't Vampiro the wrestler angry that his music wasn't playing, it was Vampiro the producer angry that the crew were missing cues and not doing their job. It wasn't the only time on the show he was pissed off at them, and there were several points where he was leaving the announce table to do other jobs - the easy solution to that being not to expect one man to be able to announce, produce, and be an active participant in the show all at the same time.

• Paid Members

Will always have time for Vampiro - I know he's an arse, but he was very cool with me, very friendly and engaging. I was a heel manager in IPW:UK, and Vamp was his opponent at one point. It was a pay-off match, so he not only beat my client, but also hit me with a Nail In The Coffin - it was like lying down really fast, didn't hurt at all, but I'd got my mum and sister to finally come see me in a show, and they said their hearts were in their mouths because it looked like he'd killed me!

Vampiros first shoot is a thing of beauty for all the wrong reasons. 

There's more fantasty in that than Jumanji. 

Its worth watching for that aspect alone

I think at one point he says they were private jetting him all over Mexico and he was wrestling 6x a day or something not dissimilar. 

If I recall they start filming at like 2am or something and the interviewer wants to wrap up a few hours in and he's like "stick another tape in I can go all night you can have 2 for 1" to a less than enuthisastic response. 

Despite all that I still find him highly engaging. 

• Paid Members

As well as Vampiro having a bit of a paddy about his music and farting and Striker generally being a bit shit, the pair of them spent pretty much the entire show talking about what people were saying on Twitter, reading out criticising comments and responding to individual peoples' tweets live on air. Extremely gotten-to about the slightest criticism. Vampiro especially just wouldn't let it go and kept going back to it.

There was also a bit where they cut to the announce tables between matches, showing all 4 announcers on screen (2x Spanish language and 2x English) so they could talk to camera about the upcoming matches etc. to their respective audiences on the respective language feeds.  The Spanish commentators enthusiastically talked to camera about what they had just seen and what was still coming up, Striker and Vampiro were just looking down at their phones. THEN, Striker clocked that they were on screen but instead of talking, he just sat still, looking at the camera with a big smug smile on his face. Vamp just keep reading Twitter.

Archived