YouTube, the modern media platform

Teedy Kay

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think YouTube is making for a really scaving audience too. My missus watches this channel called My Virgin Kitchen. where this cringey dad cooks up weird and mightily tasty dishes with the ethos of "If I can do it, anyone can". He's got two cook books out, really done well for himself.

He films it all in his family kitchen with occasional walk-ins from the mum, the kids and the in-laws. This isn't as good when it isn't just him and comes across really annoying, at least to me. After doing this for an age, he obviously wants to expand a bit and his dream was to buy and do up a big barn and turn it into a studio/kitchen with new cameras and an on-hand editor.

Well he did it and it looked great. Probably cost him a hell of a lot of money to get it all set up, I can't begin to imagine how much it cost. His audience hated it though. There would be complaints upon complaints on his channel from people having a fit about "How it isn't what it used to be". It was the same show only without the annoying family butting in, some nice new cameras and cleaner production.

He moved back into the house pretty soon, it didn't last long at all. Had to get rid of the editor too. He looked defeated and stressed on subsequent videos. You can tell his heart had to be obliterated and the passion was almost gone. He and the family moved to a different house soon after too. He's still going today but it's the same old same old; still filming in the kitchen, still having his relatives in every other video. I hope the audience is worth it.

He appears on other videos with Stuart Ashen where he looks to be having a whale of time so hopefully he can move more into that area, where the audience isn't entirely made up of Facebook meme sharing mums.

Archived