YouTube, the modern media platform

Teedy Kay

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I see it first hand through my missus' kid. We actively have to try and reign it in at times because he would literally sit on his tablet from morning till night. He's obsessed with gaming channels like Stampy and Squidnugget (?), they just mesmerise him, its incredibly weird because its literally just watching a guy play a game (saying that, i dont understand the Twitch thing either). He also watches shit with kids having nerf gun battles and shit like that which terrible but have millions of views, and toy unboxings. All very baffling.

I do enjoy the videos he watches of things getting shredded though.

Does he also play games and have nerf gun battles itself, or have the videos replaced the actual activity?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

YouTube is a great go-to for dinner TV. Quick videos that we can finish within forty minutes. Obviously, as all ready pointed out, there's a lot of shite but there is a small handful of good people doing good stuff for other good people. But because they aren't producing videos that have quick cuts and memes, they are being shafted by YouTube's algorithm despite being there for years and racking up loyal fanbases. Most of them rely of Patreon and other funding options if they want to keep making videos as their full time job as you can have a million views but you'll get jackshit if your content isn't 'advertiser friendly'. That's even if you can get that many views, thanks to the aforementioned algorithm which has shifted focus to highlight videos like the one's posted a few posts back.

If you fancy something more up your street that you can binge watch during a lazy Sunday or catch weekly during your lunch breaks, I'd recommended;

- Red Letter Media. Famous for their reviews of the Star Wars prequals, the lads also have a really entertaining series of videos called 'Best Of The Worst', where they discuss and review a selection of really old B-Movies and VHS tapes from the decades gone by.

- bigMooney06. I hate Lets Plays. I find them incredibly boring and pointless. However, if you edit your gameplay into highlights and talk in a lovely scottish accent, then you're an exception the rule. This guy has a great Fallout 4 playthrough that worth a watch every week.

- Todd In The Shadows. Piano man reviews modern pop songs and his back catalog spans quite a number of years. Also has a great series where he looks at one hit wonders (One Hit Wonderland) and has recently created another series looking at bands and artists who released an awful album despite the support and talent (Train Wreckords). Also, see Rap Critic if you enjoy modern rap/hip-hop being broken down piece by piece.

- Game Sack. Two old dudes talk about mainly old games. Very dry voice overs accompany some great retro gaming footage. I've discovered (and re-discovered) a lot of gems through this channel. 

- Daniel Ibberson. Creates great countdown videos on interesting topics like Kickspammers (documenting scam artists and failures on funding websites), Slopes Games Room (videos about usually obscure or cult games) and has a great series of 'History Of...' videos based on retro gaming's top mascots. Also, see Larry Bundy Jr for a very similar but equally entertaining content.

- Damien Slash. He doesn't post much anymore, but this solo, character-based channel (one man sketch show, maybe?) is home to some really good sketches and series'.

I also used to really enjoy JonTron until he outed himself as a festering arsehole. Also, you can't go wrong with the originals like Angry Video Game Nerd and the early work of Nostalgia Critic (although he may be slightly problematic these days and I'll delete any mention of him from this thread if/when someone brings up anything awful he's done that I was unaware of).

• Paid Members

Youtube has pretty much replaced TV for me (not including sports) 

My interests range between gaming, cooking, bushcraft, DIY, wrestling, skating, so I've subscribed to a bunch of channels that cover those topics. Fuck there's just to many to list, but when you start subscribing to people that make compelling content, you'll always have something to watch thats well made. 

It's really appointment TV for me now as the subs I watch generally put their content out on a particular day at a particular time, so you know exactly what's on and when. It'll only get better as we go forward too. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Does he also play games and have nerf gun battles itself, or have the videos replaced the actual activity?

Not entirely, but it isn't like he see's the nerf battles as a bit of an extended advert then wants to go play nerf himself which is what i think should happen, he just seems happy enough with the videos.

Gaming is similar, he loves the videos and does play the games but its the characters narrating them that really draws them to the videos.

51 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

With KSI and Logan Paul doing massive numbers via PPV on YouTube, do think it could be a matter of time before other areas of Sport look at YouTube or similar platforms for self gain?

They'll have to sort out the piracy before anyone touches it.  More people watched streams of it than paid for it. 

• Paid Members

Whenever I think about YouTube stars, I just feel like a dickhead who missed the boat. Like, tons of the stuff that is insanely popular on YouTube now were ideas me or one of my mates had the idea to do, years ago, but of course never did. Now it's too late, unless you can come up with something incredibly unique - same with podcasts.

Theres a real dark side to YouTube too. My bosses 15 year old kid came in for work experience the other week and was telling us how much he loved Trump and why he was so cool. All his opinions were from YouTube videos he watched, which in turn were made by alt-right, pro-Trump, infowars-style lunatics. Now because he watched those videos, the algorithms now suggest his even more mad right wing propaganda videos and because he's seen in on YouTube, he takes it for gospel.

Then you have other fucked up channels like Lynn Ann who is obsessed with one of the lads who committed the Columbine attack and Elliot Rodgers who killed a bunch of kids because the girls at his school were shagging other lads and not him. It's surprising how much fucked up stuff is on there if you go deep enough.

• Paid Members

I watch a lot of YouTube stuff. At its best it gives a platform to creators of niche content and some of that content is really, genuinely great. Stuff that would never make it onto general TV because not enough people are interested in it. I do a lot of home-brewing, for example, and there is some fantastic content that I watch on YouTube that's made by genuinely talented and knowledgeable people but that would never get onto TV.

Then, on the flip side, you get absolute dog shit like Zoe and Joe Sugg. People with no discernible talent whatsoever that are famous purely for being on YouTube. How the fuck does somebody get millions of subscribers when all they do is film themselves doing fuck all? Bollocks. If you've never done so, I challenge you to watch a Zoella video. Nothing personal against her but she doesn't actually do anything! The fake 'everything is wonderful, look at me having wonderful wholesome fun' act is just tedious beyond words too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUbqTCagwsaP2Fmr0p1TsA

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

With KSI and Logan Paul doing massive numbers via PPV on YouTube, do think it could be a matter of time before other areas of Sport look at YouTube or similar platforms for self gain?

Well isn't that what streaming platforms like the WWE Network are doing?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Then, on the flip side, you get absolute dog shit like Zoe and Joe Sugg. People with no discernible talent whatsoever that are famous purely for being on YouTube.

No different than 90% of people on TV, in fairness.

Archived