Old finishers that need to be brought back

Statto

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

It was because it was named 'Testdrive' in the Smackdown games so it kinda stuck as his move. Cody's version looked great with the right opponent but Chris Hero's lanky frame made his Hero's Welcome look great whoever he was in the ring with.

Didn't that move become one of a few moves that seemingly all new WWE guys were given as a finisher? For the longest time, whenever someone new debuted, they'd have some variation of the flat liner, Hero's Welcome or some other awful looking neckbreaker.

Yeah, there've been a few new guys who had it in WWE as a temporary finish, and the sheer number of names it's known by shows how many others have too - Testdrive, Last Rites, Roll The Dice, CrossRhodes, to name a few.

The Flatliner's certainly been used a lot - I remember Steiner had it as the Novocaine when the Steiner Recliner failed to get over. And MVP, Heath Slater, R-Truth, and Shelton Benjamin all used that jumping version. 

One finisher I miss, and I don't know why he stopped doing it because it looked fucking schweet, was Regal's Union Jack neckbreaker. I'd like someone to use that.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

One finisher I miss, and I don't know why he stopped doing it because it looked fucking schweet, was Regal's Union Jack neckbreaker. I'd like someone to use that.

Yeah, I loved that one too, I can't remember seeing anyone else doing that either. The Knee Trembler was never nearly as good.

Not a finisher per se, but I remember seeing someone hit his opponent with what was described as a "chop block" (rightly or wrongly) and it being sold on commentary and in the ring as a heinous, debilitating act, mentioning that it was banned in the NFL.

It was basically a Rhyno-style spear/gore to the back of the knee, which we sometimes see as a mid-match move without the menace and the drama. Bring back those elements, make it look like a real threat to the recipient's ligaments, and it would make a great setup for a single leg crab or a sharpshooter.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Was that the Regal Cutter? Or is this another move entirely?

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Was that the Regal Cutter? Or is this another move entirely?

They only called it the Regal Cutter in the games. Although, that said, I'm not sure if they ever officially called it the Union Jack neckbreaker either - but that was what I remember reading years ago.

• Paid Members

What about those incredibly dangerous looking tag moves  the Steiners used to do where Scott would get someone up on his shoulders in the corner then Rob would give them a bulldog? They always looked unbelievably reckless.

Not posted for years, but l have enjoyed reading through this thread. 

One thing I'd like to see return is a finish based around a pinning combination, they've really disappeared in recent years. I loved the Perfect-plex, for one. 

A lot of MMA influence has crept in, from shoot submission holds to KO strikes, but I think a move that either ties an opponent up for the pin or instantly traps someone after a slam/throw (with the pin combo being the emphasis) is unique to "wrestling".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mark Impact said:

Not posted for years, but l have enjoyed reading through this thread. 

One thing I'd like to see return is a finish based around a pinning combination, they've really disappeared in recent years. I loved the Perfect-plex, for one. 

A lot of MMA influence has crept in, from shoot submission holds to KO strikes, but I think a move that either ties an opponent up for the pin or instantly traps someone after a slam/throw (with the pin combo being the emphasis) is unique to "wrestling".

Welcome back to the forum Mark, great shout with the 'pinning combination' finish. I've always loved moves like that. The Perfect-Plex was simple but brilliant, I think it was my favourite move by far as a kid.

The Jackhammer might be the king of the pinning finishes, when executed in one smooth transition. Don't think I could get on board with anybody other than Goldberg using it though.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I do miss piledrivers as a finish. I actually prefer Foley's fall backwards version and Owen's package piledriver than the full on, legs in the air, jumping versions.

I liked Rick Rude's super dangerous looking keeling traditional piledriver. The belly to back version of which the Tombstone is the belly to belly version. A horrific jumping version thereof could be performed on the first Superstars for Game Boy. Called the Ganso Bomb by perverts even when executed on purpose, even though the Ganso Bomb was a botch, not a move executed on purpose.

• Paid Members

I love a piledriver. Jerry Lawler is the king (geddit?) of them. Safe as houses but looks brutal. Never got why they stopped them. Especially as it was always Taker's finish anyway. Rikishi driver was another fav. Remember seeing Rikishi when he first came back in 1999 on metal or something. He didn't quite have the look but I've always been a mark for the big fat lads and when he hit the driver on some jobber, it was instant adoration.

• Paid Members

The jumping version of the piledriver has always been my favourite, probably because that was how it was done the first time I ever saw it. 

The Barbarian's jumping piledriver was the best I've seen. Think Haku might have busted out a couple of good ones too.

Archived