Old finishers that need to be brought back

Statto

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Never got why they stopped them. Especially as it was always Taker's finish anyway.

They immediately banned piledrivers after Hunter suffered either a stinger or was partially knocked out by the Tombstone at Judgment Day 2000. Hence Taker starting to use the Last Ride and Kane going home with a chokeslam the rest of the year on the occasion he was allowed to win a match.

Gradually they softened to allowing only wrestlers they trusted to execute safely to start using them again on occasion including Taker himself on (funnily enough) Triple H by Mania 17, even as far as Shawn giving Cena a piledriver on steps at Mania 23. But it's still seldom seen, part of the reason Punk got a good reaction from nailing Cena with one in their shit hot match just before Mania 29.

• Awards Moderator

I remember Austin hitting Angle with a piledriver on the concrete during the Invasion. They sold that as such a huge, brutal thing that I totally bought into the devastation. I don’t think I’d have done that if I’d been seeing piledrivers in matches every week. It’s nice when certain moves only turn up every so often.

• Paid Members

Talking of which, someone should start using The Last Ride again. Maybe Strowman? That was a hell of a finish - even though it was adopted as an alternative to the Tombstone, it didn't feel like one.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Talking of which, someone should start using The Last Ride again. Maybe Strowman? That was a hell of a finish - even though it was adopted as an alternative to the Tombstone, it didn't feel like one.

I would give it to Drew. Strowman has made the running powerslam his own so seems a waste for him to change his finish. 

Drew has the claymore kick but someone his size would look great smashing people in half with a last ride. He could even tweak it to make it more his own, sit out or something similar. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

I would give it to Drew. Strowman has made the running powerslam his own so seems a waste for him to change his finish. 

Drew has the claymore kick but someone his size would look great smashing people in half with a last ride. He could even tweak it to make it more his own, sit out or something similar. 

Ibushi uses the sit-out version as one of his finishers, it looks bloody fantastic. I'm well game for Drew having a big ol'powerbomb, he's got the size and aesthetic to make it look devastating. 

Archived