Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
On 8/26/2018 at 10:20 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) (BBC2 - 18:10) - Quite simply one of the greatest movies ever made and one of the few movies I can quote every line from. Why haven't you seen this?

If anyone missed it, for some reason, this is available on iplayer til the weekend. Made for some lovely hangover viewing yesterday.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

WEDNESDAY:-

* Murphy's War (1971) (Sony Movies, 13:00) - Apocalypse Now isn't the only film about an army bloke going mad up a river. Peter O'Toole wages a one-man war against a German submarine grounded some way up the delta from him, making for an offbeat and enjoyable war adventure with O'Toole in wide-eyed lunatic form. The ending is insane.

Congo (1995) (Film4, 16:35) - I love a good monster movie, and Congo is a REALLY good monster movie. Not as good as Anaconda, maybe, but what is?

The Stranger (1946) (Talking Pictures TV, 18:05) - Superlative WW2 noir about the search for a Nazi war criminal living out his post-war life in rural America. One of Orson Welles' most under-appreciated films with a cracking Edward G. Robinson turn.

Fast & Furious 7 (2015) (ITV2, 21:00) - I'm still really not ready to talk about the ending, but the highpoint of this series is Vin Diesel and Paul Walker driving from skyscraper to skyscraper, and the gang being parachuted into a convoy IN THEIR CARS. Fantastic action film.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - A Fistful of Dollars (1964) (ITV4, 22:00) - Not only is A Fistful of Dollars a truly great western in its own right but it was the starting point of so much that is still revered today, most notably being the first spaghetti western breakout hit and the first hit of Clint Eastwood's movie career as a lead actor.

Also on tomorrow are The Hireling, The Cat Returns, A Town Like Alice and A Bullet for the General. All highly spoken of that I haven't seen yet.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - A Fistful of Dollars (1964) (ITV4, 22:00) - Not only is A Fistful of Dollars a truly great western in its own right but it was the starting point of so much that is still revered today, most notably being the first spaghetti western breakout hit and the first hit of Clint Eastwood's movie career as a lead actor.

Absolutely. And the complete reimagining of Western movie theme music by Ennio Morricone. It's because of him that Western-parodying film, TV and adverts all use that stripped-down lone whistle and Jew's harp sound.

Always loved the "trilogy", although I admit I slightly preferred For A Few Dollars More, only because of two things:

1. I'd seen Yojimbo prior to seeing AFOD, so I knew how the story was going to go. It's still great, but not knowing what would happen in FAFDM gave it an extra edge for me.

2. Lee van Cleef as Colonel James Mortimer is one of my favourite film bad-ass good guys ever. Doesn't chase after his quarry, just calmly walks to his horse, grabs a rifle and stops the guy short.

And in case anyone's in any doubt that he's just as quick on the draw as Eastwood's Manco, he proves it against Indio.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, W35ty said:

I watched Congo last week and i noticed they cut a scene. I don't know why they put films on so early that they need to cut it.

ITV2 used to show Ace Ventura and The Mummy on the Sunday afternoon slot almost religiously. Seemed, like it was every fortnight I'd turn on the telly and see Brendan Fraser staring gallantly at me. 

For whatever reason, they'd cut those films to shreds. The ending to Ace Ventura was edited to a point where you didn't actually know the ending unless you had all ready seen it. The Mummy too had the really mild death scenes cut out and even some quips. Why bother showing them at all?

• Paid Members

Beverly Hills Cop on BBC or Lethal Weapon, Die Hard and The Big Lebowski on ITV even after 9pm are a joy to behold. There's some absolutely wonderful overdubs in there that justify the censorship.
Commando on Film Four was absolutely filleted last time I watched it though. Particularly the shed scene. Even my missus asked if someone was supposed to get an axe into the bollocks.

• Paid Members

The first time I ever saw Midnight Run, it was on BBC1 and they dubbed ALL the swearing. I didn't know any better so when I saw the uncut version a couple of years later, I was quite shocked. It was a masterpiece of dubbing tbh. Almost as amazing as the job ITV did on RoboCop.

By the way, I forgot to mention that How I Spent My Summer Vacation (or Get the Gringo, to give it its better title) is on Sony Movies tonight at 1:15am. Really enjoyable action thriller with Mel Gibson at something approaching his best. Nowhere near as good as Blood Father though.

THURSDAY:-

* The China Syndrome (1979) (Sony Movies, 13:00) - Superb suspense thriller as Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas dig deeper into the workings of a dodgy power plant. Another powerful Jack Lemmon performance, a really strong ending, and absolutely riveting the whole way through.

All Over the Town (1949) (Talking Pictures TV, 13:00) - Obscure but very enjoyable British comedy about the running of a small seaside town newspaper and its uncovering of a local housing scandal. The sort of thing Talking Pictures TV have been great at rediscovering.

Men in Black (1997) (Film4, 17:05) - I'm waiting impatiently for the upcoming reboot but the original is still a classic and one of those you should watch every time it's on. Also to remind you of Linda Fiorentino all over again.

Bridesmaids (2011) (ITV2, 21:00) - I've liked all of Paul Feig's recent films but Bridesmaids is probably my favourite of them. A tremendously talented cast, countless funny moments, and a lot of heart. The bit with Melissa McCarthy in the car with the dogs always makes me laugh my tits off.

* Severance (2006) (Horror Channel, 21:00) - Don't let the presence of Danny Dyer put you off, this is actually pretty good. Works better as a horror film than a comedy but it's great fun. I hope his lack of commercial success doesn't deter Christopher Smith from making more films. His last outing, Detour, disappeared without trace but was very good too.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - The Martian (2015) (Film4, 21:00) - As much as I love The Martian and find myself quoting endlessly from it, it also doubles up as an incredibly frustrating film when you realise how much fun we could have been having with Ridley Scott if he made more straightforward enjoyable blockbusters like this down the years. Fuck you, Mars.

The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) (ITV4, 22:00) - Am I suggesting this is a fine Bond film even despite the three nipples stuff and Britt Ekland fannying about the place being utterly useless? I sure am, boy!

The Culpepper Cattle Co. (1972) (Talking Pictures TV, 23:05) - Quality little western that is surprisingly traditional despite the fact that it was made in a heavily revisionist period. Great old craggy cast, too.

Also on that I haven't seen but are supposed to be good are Robots, Princess Mononoke and Handgun. Ghostbusters 2 and Big Trouble in Little China are also on again.

Going back a little bit and Crank was fantastic but I fucking hated Crank 2 to the point I was getting angry. Don't know if I just wasnt in the right mood or what, I was similar recently with Kingsman 2 where I loved the 1st film but thought the sequel was an abortion but stuck with both till the end for some reason.

• Paid Members

You're not the only person I've seen say that, actually, but I still don't understand it! I just think they're both so thematically and stylistically similar that I can't see much of a difference at all.

17 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Going back a little bit and Crank was fantastic but I fucking hated Crank 2 to the point I was getting angry. Don't know if I just wasnt in the right mood or what, I was similar recently with Kingsman 2 where I loved the 1st film but thought the sequel was an abortion but stuck with both till the end for some reason.

Crank is brilliant. I might even go as far as saying its the best action film this side of the millennium. Crank 2 is still fun enough nowhere near as good as the first.

• Paid Members

FRIDAY:-

Rambo: First Blood (1982) (ITV4, 21:00) - The usual weekly outing for Stallone's superior action adventure. Often imitated, rarely equalled, and not even spoiled by David Caruso's usual shit acting.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Sicario (2015) (Film4, 21:00) - One of the greatest cinema experiences I've ever had was watching Sicario and experiencing that soundtrack, the sheer unnerving claustrophobia and the suffocating violence of one of the greatest movies of the century. Turn it up loud.

The King's Speech (2010) (BBC1, 22:35) - Rather unfairly lumped in with the 'Oscar bait' crowd, there's a fair bit more to Tom Hooper's film than that. Very pro-monarchy, perhaps, but you can't help but be swept away by the Colin Firth / Geoffrey Rush chemistry.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) (5*, 23:00) - I like The Silence of the Lambs, but I don't love it. The Hannibal Lecter subplot is actually almost completely irrelevant to the main story here and Anthony Hopkins' performance overwhelms a pretty good murder-mystery. Grotty fun nonetheless.

Out for Justice (1991) (ITV4, 23:05) - Steven Seagal's greatest film, a swaggering action thriller with superb fight scenes, an uncompromising plot and a brilliant villain in William Forsythe. The "Anybody seen Richie?" scene is one of the greatest action scenes of the decade.

Also on is Pom Poko. And The Purge. But it's shite.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

FRIDAY:-

Rambo: First Blood (1982) (ITV4, 21:00) - The usual weekly outing for Stallone's superior action adventure. Often imitated, rarely equalled, and not even spoiled by David Caruso's usual shit acting.

Hmmm. I wonder if I can swing the Mrs on the idea of spending her Friday night watching Sylvester Stallone run around the mountains in a Burlap sack. 🤔

Archived