Bare Knuckle Thread ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿป

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah Paulie mentioned in one of his recent interviews (I think with Helen Yee but mightโ€™ve been another one) that thereโ€™ll be VADA testing for this fight. From what I can tell Iย think it will be the first fight theyโ€™ve done testing for and it sounds like thatโ€™s only because Paulieย insisted on it.ย 

Yep hereโ€™s the interview. Itโ€™s in the last minute of this video.ย 

If you canโ€™t be arsed hereโ€™s what he said;ย 

โ€œVADAโ€™s a very good company but thereโ€™s not enough money there for them to test on a regular basis like that, you know? I actually enforced VADA in my fight with Lobov. Dave Feldman had to pay a pretty penny to get VADA testing for me and Lobov for our fight. Itโ€™s not cheap, but he did it and he gets credit for that because for me, I donโ€™t know what anyone else is doing but for my personal fights I donโ€™t want any risks to be out there anymore.โ€

ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I aint sure. It's pretty clear that Paulie isn't a stupid man when it comes to the fight business though so there's some method to it. I mean just keep Conor's name in his mouth has landed him a 350k payday with BKFC. so maybe the goal is to earn some money and scratch that competitive itch that he clearly still has whilst at the same time keep his hat in the ring for a fight with McGregor no matter who small the chances are of it actually happening.

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I aint sure. It's pretty clear that Paulie isn't a stupid man when it comes to the fight business though so there's some method to it. I mean just keep Conor's name in his mouth has landed him a 350k payday with BKFC. so maybe the goal is to earn some money and scratch that competitive itch that he clearly still has whilst at the same time keep his hat in the ring for a fight with McGregor no matter who small the chances are of it actually happening.

You don't think if he'd announced a comeback to boxing he'd have made at least $350,000 in a fight? Come on, he'd have cleared that easily, and would have had the nice bonus of not having a mental Russian throw bare knuckle punches at his face.

Paulie is insane doing this, and getting to Conor is undoubtedly his reason. He's obsessed.ย 

Well, if he's still desperate enough to make $350,000 after a 16 year career where he won world titles in two weight classes, and where he's now an award-winning analyst that he's willing to scrape the bottom of the barrel and fight in a bare knuckle shitfest in some no-mark town in America then I feel sorry for him.

He's not getting Conor, even if he beats Lobov. McG has enough trouble fighting in the UFC these days, never mind entertaining Malignaggi in a boxing match.

• Paid Members

Plus it might not just be a case of what he or Conor want. The UFC might not sign off on it. Itโ€™s one thingย them giving the green light to Conor doing a monster fight with fucking Floyd Mayweather that made everyone involved stupidly rich(er) and also had the safety net of not harming Conorโ€™s image too badly when he inevitably got spanked. From the UFCโ€™s perspective there was very little to lose by letting Conor fight Mayweather. He loses his pro boxing debut to the greatest boxer of our generation. No biggie and everyone gets a massive paycheque. Theย Paulie thing isnโ€™t even in the same galaxy. Donโ€™t get me wrong it would obviously do big business because itโ€™s Conor McGregor and itโ€™s an easy one to hype up with their history and both never shutting the fuck up. At the same time though, it doesnโ€™t bring inย anywhere near the kind of money the Floyd thing did because itโ€™s missing the key ingredient of Floyd Mayweather. And on top of that a loss to a retired and washed up Paulie Malignaggi damages Conorโ€™s stock in a way the Floyd thing didnโ€™t and it would pretty much prove they were full of shite with the โ€˜Conor destroyed Paulie when they sparredโ€™ย narrative they want people to believe. So while it would make money, it probablyย wouldnโ€™t be the kind of money that would be worth their while at the expense of having the UFCโ€™s biggest star get embarrassed by little chubby Paulie Eyebrows. Not worth it. Iโ€™m not convinced Conor vs Paulie generatesย more money than Conor vs Diaz 3 would and definitely not Conor vs Khabib 2. And with those fights itโ€™s also all in house. They wouldnโ€™t have to cut in Showtime or whoever like they would if Conor boxed Paulie.ย 

All this could be pointless anyway if he gets done for this rape. That would rightly destroy him way worse than 10 losses to Pizza Paul.ย 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Well, if he's still desperate enough to make $350,000 after a 16 year career where he won world titles in two weight classes, and where he's now an award-winning analyst that he's willing to scrape the bottom of the barrel and fight in a bare knuckle shitfest in some no-mark town in America then I feel sorry for him.

ย 

Well he wouldn't be the first, nor the last combat sports fighter to come back and give it another go...and as much as i think the fight may not end well for him at least he's getting well compensated unlike some who carry on.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

Well he wouldn't be the first, nor the last combat sports fighter to come back and give it another go...and as much as i think the fight may not end well for him at least he's getting well compensated unlike some who carry on.

Well compensated at what cost though? This isn't boxing, or even MMA. It's bare knuckle bullshit. The capacity for damage and injury is immense. I always assumed that shit like this was the playground of guys who couldn't make the cut in proper combat sports, or who were past their prime but short on cash.

A two-weight world champion boxer and award-winning commentator though? Absolutely insane.ย 

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

something is starting to tell me you think this is a bad idea Dave?

Not for me, I'll watch it regardless, I'm just confused as to why someone who's seemingly got so much going for him is going down this piss-stained alleyway? It's like hearing that Carl Froch or Johnny Nelson are deciding to jump into bare knuckle boxing. Fans would wonder why someone who's had a great career in boxing and who gets regular work as an analyst on a prime television network would bother with such shit, wouldn't they?

It has to be some belief he has that beating Lobov will get him a fight with McGregor. There's literally no other reason for doing this, and the sad thing is, it won't work.