Bare Knuckle Thread 👊🏻

Egg Shen

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Lobov is the favourite apparently .

Makes no sense 

Paulie hasn’t had a fight in over 2 years, plus this is bare knuckle boxing, one punch from Lobov and he’ll probably want out.

I’ve enjoyed Paulie as a boxing pundit over the past few years but his obsession with getting a fight with Conor really is pathetic.

It makes sense in reality. Paulie is a retired boxer who's been inactive for two years, and who has 7 knock outs in 36 wins. Lobov hits hard, and has a head made of the same shit used to make bowling balls. Did you see him after that last bare knuckle fight? He looked like he'd been thrown face first into the propeller of a small aircraft, and still he wouldn't go down.

This isn't boxing, which is something I think Paulie pillow hands will find out quickly after the fight starts. 

• Paid Members

I loves me some Paulie, but as ive stated previously it does feel like he's completely underestimated Lobov. That said, Paulie is a salesman, he went through his entire boxing career starting feuds and drumming up interest, it worked for him too, maybe hes just working everyone in the buildup? 

edit* ive just watched the actual press conference. If you are of the thinking that Bare Knuckle is a bit of a backward step, knuckle dragging type thing id advice you skip it because it isnt gonna do much to alter your opinion on that.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 5/20/2019 at 10:21 PM, David said:

I can't be the only one who hopes Lobov absolutely sparks Paulie. It would be fantastic.

I never thought I’d feel that way but I’ve done a u-turn during this whole sorry buildup and I’d be quite happy if Lobov knocked him out now. 

I’ve always loved Paulie as an announcer/analyst. I think he’s one of the best in the game at that. And truthfully I always leaned more to his side of the argument in the whole Conor drama. But the way he’s gone on since this Lobov fight was announced has been fucking embarrassing. He’s come across terribly to me. He’s the one who’s instigating everything and acting like a complete tit. The wearing a Fedora and pinstripe suit and giving it the ‘I’m an Italian-American from New York so I’m hard as fuck, me’ act is cringeworthy coming from a man with a voice only a notch deeper than Joe Pasquale’s and eyebrows so meticulously sculpted he might as well become an Instagram model. Then the spitting thing was the final straw that just proper made me want to see Artem break his face. Artem has become the babyface here for me, while doing the grand sum of fuck all. He’s the babyface by default purely because Paulie has made himself look like a right little cunt. 

The thing that’s really stuck out to me as shitty though, above everything else, is Paulie keep banging on about Boxing having more deaths and serious brain trauma than MMA. He keeps bringing that up and he says it like he’s actually bragging that his sport has a higher body count than MMA. What does that achieve? All it does is leave a sour taste and actually disrespect the families of all the boxers who’ve died or suffered serious damage over the years. Then repeatedly saying he’s going to put Artem in a coma. That shit is beyond fight promotion for me. Wilder got some shit for his ‘I want a body on my record’ comments and rightly so. But Paulie’s low road smack talk the last few months has been worse for me. It’s just gone more unnoticed because it’s attached to a bit of a joke event. 

Agreed Wand.

Bisping on Paulie.

“Don’t get me started on spitting on him. Any motherf—ker that shows up wearing a hat like that deserves to die. It’s as simple as that. I’m sorry. You look like an absolute tit. He looks like a villain out of the Dick Tracy movie. You know what I mean? He might as well have had a pinstripe suit on, that big stupid gangsta hat. Oh my god, it did not look good. I’m sorry, maybe I don’t get it. Maybe I’m not Italian from Brooklyn, or whatever the f—k you say Paulie. Maybe that’s their thing, but I’m telling you, you look like a tw-t. And any man that runs around, I don’t care if you’re at the beach, I don’t care if you’re, whatever past time you are taking part in. If you go out wearing a fedora, you are a c—k. Plain and simple.”

It's a bit rich of Bisping to bring up spitting, given that he spat at Rivera's corner back in the day. But a fairly entertaining rant, nevertheless. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Ha, yeah I heard that the other day, which must be why I had the Fedora/pinstripe suit thing in my head. 

That Bisping quote is even better in audio form. Listen here from around a minute in; 

But yeah, the cheek of him bringing up the spitting! Notice he quickly moved on from that to ripping Paulie and his new hat. 

I've always ragged on Lobov because he came across as someone just riding the coat tails of McG, but having seen him come into his own of late I actually quite like him. He's a no-nonsense type who's happy to throw down with anyone. He's nowhere near being the best at it, and he admits as much, but he's a game fucker.

I'm on the Lobov bandwagon now. Apart from when McG is there, then I'll hop off for a bit and jump back on later.

• Paid Members

i guess being on any bandwagon is a win for the fight, this thing is generating interest.

Interesting to note that the athletic commission has refused to allow them to find completely bare handed. The fighters will wear some kind of glove which has exposed knuckles. Sounds similar to what that bare knuckle promotion tried a few years ago which Gabriel Rosado fought in. 

They probably realise it wouldn't be a good look for them if a former boxing world champion gets fucked up in a bareknuckle fight under their watch. What happens to Paulie here will have further reaching consequences than anything that's happened to a Jason Knight or Chris Leben in the past. Those guys are viewed as knuckleheads and cage fighters.

• 2 weeks later...