Bare Knuckle Thread 👊🏻

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I've touched on Bare Knuckle Boxing abit on here previously. I thought i'd give it it's own thread though. The sport is starting to pick up popularity, and is getting some traction over in America now as well, there's enough of an MMA connection to warrant paying attention too.

The Bareknuckle Fighting Championships holds it's second event in the States tonight. I'd planned to watch the initial show in June but didn't get around to it, but was real surprised to see how impressive the production of the show was once i saw some highlights. If you've ever seen a UK BKB show it's very dark and cheap looking, it comes off every bit an underground fight league, the Bareknuckle Fighting Champioships came out with a good level of production in a proper arena, a professional announce team (including Sean Wheelock, formely of Bellator) and the show far exceeding anyones expectations in terms of quality of fights. It also did 125,000 buys on PPV in the States which is pretty solid and way above what anyone expected from what i can gather. Enough so that tonight's show is being covered by MMA Fighting who have a team on site to do their usual pre/post fight stuff that they usually only give to the UFC and sometimes Bellator. Pretty cool to see a real decent buzz being generated.

The show is on Fite PPV over here for £38.99. There's no way im paying that to see the show, but if, like last time, the show goes up in the usual places im definitely going to watch it, Here's how the card lines up...full of UFC and Bellator veterans.

39277208_1799310160175806_97585619501947

The card is on the poster, Chris fucking Lytle returning! he seems to be taking it seriously too from the pre-fight stuff i saw. Given the success of the first show and depending on how this one pans out im expecting more recognisable names to move over to this. They plan on running 8 shows a year. Fingers crossed i get to see it.

I'll keep the thread going as i see shit over time, Bare Knuckle seems to be on the rise. A second American promotion is debuting later in the year that has a Phil Baroni/Chris Leben fight headlining. All the stuff i saw prior to BKFC 2 say that this gives people the same feeling they had when the UFC first aired and im digging that.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I did see BKFC 2, just aint chimed in with my random shitty thoughts yet...

Heres a wee heads up though. British based BKB has a show live (sort of) on Vice, sky channel 183 tomorrow night if anyone fancies it. The shows on a couple of hours delay so airs from 10.30pm.  

• Paid Members

Well, the general feeling that the best tactic in bare knuckle fighting is to carefully pick your shots from the outside (and we saw a lot of that on the night). Lytle abandoned that, went in and just destroyed the bloke. His opponent tried to fight back but was hopelessly outmatched, looked like he took a bit of a dive to get out of there in the end.

Lytle probably looked in better physical shape than he ever did in the UFC too. Lots of TRT and steroid accusations thrown about but i guess its free reign at the moment. Im hoping Lytle sticks around and becomes a bit of a face for it. I'll definitely continue to watch.

On the flip side, Charles Bennett basically TKO'd himself by shattering his hands. Its a brutal game.

DlfOwvpU8AA-HE0.jpg

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, David said:

Looks like a pile of bollocks in my opinion. A step up from those ridiculous fights you see in carparks on YouTube.

Its a strange brew at the moment. The BKFC show has an old UFC feel to it. The majority of fighters in it are MMA fighters but theres a couple of strange additions like a former NBA basketball player who seemed terrified of getting hit. I enjoyed what i saw though, its definitely still finding its feet but as a presentation the show and the fights were pretty good. 

• Paid Members

Johny Hendricks moving to Bare Knuckle now 😮 fighting Brennan Ward in November. Id love to see that fight in MMA let alone bare knukle boxing.

http://www.fightbookmma.com/breaking-johny-hendricks-vs-brennan-ward-to-headling-wbkff-1-rise-of-the-titans/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

the World Bare Knuckle Fighting Federation holds its first show on Friday, they've put together a pretty solid lineup in fairness, not sure what kind of money they're paying but i imagine Johny Hendricks doesn't come cheap. Im really hoping this pops up online because i wanna see it, im not paying the £28 Fite TV are asking for it though, fuck that.

world-bare-knuckle-fighting-federati-240

Brennan Ward vs. Johny Henricks

Phil Baroni vs. Chris Leben

Shawne Merriman vs. Mike Bourke

Josh Neer vs. Mike Alderete

Julian Lane vs. Joey Angelo

Jasmine Clark vs. Christina Marks

Baroni/Leben is about as sloppy a bare knuckle fight that you're gonna get, and im all on for that. 

You just has to knock Josh Neer would be getting in on this bare knuckle action too.

Edited by Egg Shen

Imagine being a former UFC Champion and having to lower yourself to the point of doing this shit? You go from trading hands with the best in the game in places like New York and Vegas over a UFC career spanning eight years to slugging it out bareknuckle in Casper, Wyoming.

Poor bastard.