Combo Platter Film and Song

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

A song came on from the joys of YouTube autoplay roulette and it prompted a conversation in the office:

Can you name a better song and film combo than "Shy Guy" by Diana King

and "Bad Boys" starting Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.

The rules are simple:

1) It has to be a song.  No orchestral pieces so any Spielberg and John Williams collaborations are automatically disqualified.

2) Both the film and song must be quality.  No decent song propping up a shit film or vice versa.

3) The song must be tied to the film promotionally (e.g. it's on the soundtrack or the film is featured in the music video).  No songs that are on the star's radio during a car chase if they aren't otherwise tied in.

4) Musicals, jukebox or otherwise, aren't officially excluded but are frowned upon.

• Moderators

For me it will always be Terminator 2 and You Could Be Mine.

I was a huge Arnie fan and seeing him in the music video for that made it awesome. It's the moment that got me into rock music, really.

I went to HMV in Paris (where I was living at the time). The single was on import and was more expensive than just buying Use Your Illusion 2, so I got the album. It's still a brilliant album that I listened to yesterday, in fact. (Although they shouldn't have let Duff sing so much and it would have been even better).

• Paid Members

I'm going to risk the wrath of @Devon Malcolm for this, but totally worth it. I know this film has developed a bit of a gash following, but I still really like the film and adore the song. I don't think I'd enjoy the song half as much without the movie and vice versa. The opening credits scene with the song still gives me goosebumps.

Kavinsky- Nightcall

Movie: Drive

This is the one for me!

I was really excited for Batman Forever because I was swept up in the Jim Carrey hype (I was 12 in 1995), loved anything Batman and even bought the soundtrack of this movie based on this song, which I learned on guitar to impress Laura Davy...she hated the song anyway and thought Batman was for losers so that didn't go well.

But yeah, a banging track for a film that I really like...maybe for the wrong reasons...but whenever I hear this song...I think of this film.

• Paid Members

Great shout on Drive. It really unearthed my love for French/Italian disco and synthwave. I got massively into Kavinsky, Carpenter Brut, Dance With The Dead etc after seeing it, truly a subliminal film in my eyes. 

@Dolph Pigglers has reminded me of one of my favoutie combos; U2's 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me' which was also released for the aforementioned Batman Forever;

Arguably the most underrated of the Batman movies with Jim Carrey's brilliant portrayal of The Riddler (I was a massive fan of both Jim and Batman as a kid so it was a double whammy) and the usual action-driven plot, dark atmosphere and Batman kicking ass. Extremely quotable too.

I think this song was one of the first 'proper' songs I ever got into, as my music library to that point was Mr.Blobby, The Smurfs and The Power Rangers soundtrack (as well as the WWF Themes cassette and some cartoon theme songs album). The music video is great too, just a wonderful dollop of nostalgia.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Where have I developed a reputation of not liking Drive? I really like Drive!

It might be your general dislike of Nicholas Winding Refn! I'm sure you've mentioned him before. Only God Forgives was a massive disappointment in fairness.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It might be your general dislike of Nicholas Winding Refn! I'm sure you've mentioned him before. Only God Forgives was a massive disappointment in fairness.

Well, a dislike of him since Drive. Drive started him disappearing up his own arse, because it is hugely flawed in places, and Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon completed the journey. His Danish films are great.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Well, a dislike of him since Drive. Drive started him disappearing up his own arse, because it is hugely flawed in places, and Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon completed the journey. His Danish films are great.

Thank god someone else agrees. I thought Drive was so overrated!

Surely this is a contender. Probably John Hughe's best work (Fuck you Ferris) and a movie that I still really holds up well.

A film that actually spawns two answers, but I'll eschew the equally iconic Lust For Life opening and go with perennial banger Born Slippy. Watch how the first ethereal synth stab chimes in as Begbie exhales into Renton's face. It's still one of the coolest things I have ever, ever seen and even as a massive Underworld fan surrounded by people who think it's their only tune, the song and film are both fresh and spine tingling for me to this day. 

The sequel wasn't bad, either. I kind of dug how it cheekily tried to preempt its own criticisms by having its characters in complete awareness that they were "tourists in their own memories" as Sick Boy put it.