Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

I presume this Khabib/Mayweather talk is just bluster and grandstanding? Then again, I thought the same thing when McGregor challenged Mayweather. 

I'd say it is. There's always the small chance it isn't, but I think the interest would be less than the Conor fight simply because Khabib isn't going to sell it as much and isn't as much of a household name.

That's what I'm thinking too, but if Khabib is serious about retiring, then it would probably earn him more coin than he could get from the UFC, even if there won't be as much interest as there was in the McGregor farce. Wonder if it was even Khabib's idea or someone telling him it was the best way to deflect negative attention after his antics at 229?

Edit: that was in response to David.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Becoming a cock? He is a cock.

I mean as a fighter. We don't need someone else acting like Diaz and McG, buggering off and not defending titles or throwing a strop for fuck all.

2 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

That's what I'm thinking too, but if Khabib is serious about retiring, then it would probably earn him more coin than he could get from the UFC, even if there won't be as much interest as there was in the McGregor farce. Wonder if it was even Khabib's idea or someone telling him it was the best way to deflect negative attention after his antics at 229?

I honestly don't think he's seriously entertaining it, he's likely just keeping his name in the media.

2 hours ago, David said:

I mean as a fighter. We don't need someone else acting like Diaz and McG, buggering off and not defending titles or throwing a strop for fuck all.

I honestly don't think he's seriously entertaining it, he's likely just keeping his name in the media.

To what purpose, though? It's not like he has to after the massively entertaining spectacle he created at 229, at least as far as Dana is concerned. He can pick his fights now, but tellingly, he didn't ask for another UFC fight/call anyone out. Fighting Ferguson will get fanboys like us hard, but it does nothing for the myth he seemingly wants to want to create for himself. 

23 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

To what purpose, though? It's not like he has to after the massively entertaining spectacle he created at 229, at least as far as Dana is concerned. He can pick his fights now, but tellingly, he didn't ask for another UFC fight/call anyone out. Fighting Ferguson will get fanboys like us hard, but it does nothing for the myth he seemingly wants to want to create for himself. 

If not Ferguson, then who else is there? Realistically? A rematch with Conor? I guess he'd take that as he probably sees it as the easiest fight on the table at the moment, and ironically it's the one with the most money.

27 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Fighting Ferguson will get fanboys like us hard, but it does nothing for the myth he seemingly wants to want to create for himself. 

Ferguson is to Khabib what Cro Cop was to Fedor. It's the match-up that fans suspect will give him the most trouble. If Khabib can beat him, which I think he would, it would unquestionably add to his unbeatable aura. Ferguson isn't a household name as such, but he's known by enough people. If Khabib chose not to fight him there will always be the tiniest "what if" in debates about him. He's already the best sub 170lbs MMA fighter to have ever lived. Wins over Ferguson and perhaps GSP would propel him to GOAT status. 

8 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

The question is, does he want to retire undefeated?

I think he wants to prove himself as the best lightweight of all time, and to do that he'll need to get a defence or two more under his belt. Ferguson is a start.

• Paid Members

Re-watching the fight the other day, I got to thinking. If Chad Mendes had come into his fight with Conor on a full camp, do you think we'd have seen a similar result? If Chad had more in the gas tank, do you think he'd have been able to keep Conor down as successfully as Khabib did? It's amazing to think about how different things would've been had that happened.

• Paid Members

Maybe but I don't think Mendes is as suffocating a grappler as Khabib either. Mendes is a great wrestler, and grappler overall, but he seems more of a basic wrestler than Khabib and when he's on top he seems to be only able to either control or ground and pound whereas Khabib can do both at the same time. Just different kinds of grappler for me. And Mendes would've always been more likely to get drawn into a standup fight as well. I definitely think full-camp Mendes would've done better though and he'd be a harder style than most. I always said I felt like Mendes, and moreso Frankie Edgar, would've been the toughest matchups for McGregor at 145, even before the Aldo fight I felt that way. 

That makes me think, I wouldn't mind seeing Khabib vs Edgar either. Khabib would almost certainly win being the bigger and younger man and Frankie coming towards the end of his career but I'd like to see it all the same. Probably won't happen now though. 

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I don't know anything about Paulie. My entire knowledge of him comes from his involvement with McGregor vs. Mayweather.

Was he always this tragic?

In the build before his fight with Ricky Hatton he came off like an absolute twat, seemed to have grown up prior to his fight against Amir Khan, I started to like him once he became a panellist for the boxing on Sky, but for well over a year now all he has done is go on about McGregor, he’s obsessed with him.

He was commenting for matchroom on Sky last night and even brought him up during a fight!

Archived