Who wins and how?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'm more of a Scotch guy (Laphroaig 45 Year is my absolute favourite ever), but I've discovered some gorgeous Irish whiskeys over the years. My top recommendation EVAR is made by the Walsh distillery, called Writer's Tears. Funny name aside, it's one of the smoothest, most flavoursome Irish whiskeys I've ever had. 

Other strong recommendations:

Tullamore D.E.W.
Kilbeggan
Connemara (although this is closer to an Islay Scotch, it's very peaty, which isn't for everyone)

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'm more of a Scotch guy (Laphroaig 45 Year is my absolute favourite ever).

Laphroaig Scotch is notoriously (pun intended) heavily peated - making it a niche product even within the Whisky category. A 45 year old bottle is going to set you back thousands isn't it?

Aren't you sort of saying here that you love driving some ultra niche million pound sports car ... oh, and by the way, you're not dead keen on that latest hatch-back from Daewoo?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Laphroaig Scotch is notoriously (pun intended) heavily peated - making it a niche product even within the Whisky category. A 45 year old bottle is going to set you back thousands isn't it?

Aren't you sort of saying here that you love driving some ultra niche million pound sports car ... oh, and by the way, you're not dead keen on that latest hatch-back from Daewoo?

Not really. I didn't say I drink Laphroaig 45 all the time, did I? Just that it was my favourite - I was lucky to be invited to the wedding of a friend rich enough to hold it at one of those super-swanky posh country clubs. He bought a bottle from the bar there (which probably cost a shit-ton more than wholesale), and we had a few glasses. Never had a whisky finer than that.

Besides, I'm not saying Irish whiskey is piss, either. I've just given recommendations for some excellent ones which aren't too expensive, but which aren't paint stripper either. I don't know what Proper Twelve tastes like, but if people aren't fancying it, I'm just giving some pointers as to what to go for.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Not really. I didn't say I drink Laphroaig 45 all the time, did I? Just that it was my favourite - I was lucky to be invited to the wedding of a friend rich enough to hold it at one of those super-swanky posh country clubs. He bought a bottle from the bar there (which probably cost a shit-ton more than wholesale), and we had a few glasses. Never had a whisky finer than that.

Besides, I'm not saying Irish whiskey is piss, either. I've just given recommendations for some excellent ones which aren't too expensive, but which aren't paint stripper either. I don't know what Proper Twelve tastes like, but if people aren't fancying it, I'm just giving some pointers as to what to go for.

Fair play. Just seemed a bit like an out-of-context reference point is all. I find whiskey hard to get into because of the cost. It's not like beer or wine where you can spend £20 on a few bottles and get to know what's what quite quickly. A bottle of Scotch is a bit of an investment for me and takes a long while to get through.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Fair play. Just seemed a bit like an out-of-context reference point is all. I find whiskey hard to get into because of the cost. It's not like beer or wine where you can spend £20 on a few bottles and get to know what's what quite quickly. A bottle of Scotch is a bit of an investment for me and takes a long while to get through.

Doesn't always have to be so. There are some excellent whiskeys/whiskies for a lower price. Laphroaig 12 Year is decent, plus you've got Jura, Auchentoshan, Talisker, Glenfiddich, Macallan, all available at around the £20/£30 mark. Bear in mind also you won't get through it as quickly as wine, which makes it worth it.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Doesn't always have to be so. There are some excellent whiskeys/whiskies for a lower price. Laphroaig 12 Year is decent, plus you've got Jura, Auchentoshan, Talisker, Glenfiddich, Macallan, all available at around the £20/£30 mark. Bear in mind also you won't get through it as quickly as wine, which makes it worth it.

Speak for yourself.

5 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Just popping in to say that I like a bit of Funky Ben. I say this every 3 months or so, but it's a crying shame that he's never fought in the UFC.

Askren vs Khabib will probably end up joining GSP vs Askren as one of MMA's unfulfilled dream fights. 

It will be among the 12 people who know who Askren is just kidding, from a wrestling point of view Justin Gaethe is the most decorated wrestler in the UFC LW division, he's a Division 1 all American (Kevin Lee is division 2) but Justin likes to brawl, and can't seem to break into the Top 5 unless he changes up his style, Khabib might be able to sub him but would have lots of trouble taking him down.

• Paid Members

Yeah it doesn't have the grudge Khabib vs Conor had but as a fight style-wise I think Khabib vs Gaethje is more interesting. Purely because Gaethje should be much harder to take down, I think he's a bigger power hitter and unlike Conor, even when he starts tiring he doesn't know how to slow down. I'd love to see it. Gaethje vs Diaz is another and Gaethje vs Ferguson might just be the nuttiest fight ever. 

• Paid Members

Definitely should be Ferguson next. Khabib vs Gaethje is just a fight for down the road but to be honest it might never happen because I'm not sure how long Khabib's going to keep fighting, they've both talked about retiring fairly recently, and I can see Gaethje never quite getting that title shot. 

I know it's not the "done thing" these days, but I'd like for Khabib to be a champion who gives opportunities to deserving challengers. He doesn't seem like a money whore, so hopefully the $600,000 to show per title fight or whatever is standard for champions these days is enough for him to fight the top contenders.

There are alarming signs though that he's in danger of becoming a bit of a cock now that he's won a big fight. 

Archived