Old duffers who still get it done

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Sparks are a good shout. Ron is 73 and Russell is 69 and they just released one of their most critically acclaimed albums of a nearly 50 year career and having seen them live earlier this year they perform with such energy and sound brilliant.

D1-620x350.jpg

Not quite the oldest, but certainly the Rolling Stones of electronic music. This nomination is more for Dave Gahan than Depeche Mode as a whole. I've seen them live a few times over the past few years and the guy is a force of nature, live. He spends about an hour before each gig in an isolated room listening to Iggy Pop and Bowie, word has it, and as soon as he's on stage he doesn't stop moving for about two hours. Kind of character acting a mixture of the smack head he was in the nineties, and synthesizer James Bond. 

One of the sharpest cats on the block, and getting sharper. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Also David Attenborough who definitely counts for being still with us

I'd say Attenborough is a very good call for this. If anything his cache has risen since hitting his 80's; both because he's been an effective elder statesman for a great cause and because the quality of programmes he has narrated has increased due to developments in filming. 

Bruce Springsteen. 

I have seen The Boss a bunch of times over the past decade and, as a live act, he just gets better and better. The man is in his sixties and is still regularly doing three-hour high-energy shows. A lot of credit goes to the E-Street Band, who are incredible, but Bruce is a cut above. 

Archived