Hollywood Rock

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Loved the bit with the helicopter flying over the skyline at the beginning of the Titantron during Rock's 2003's run just before his tune kicks off. It's the tune they use when they are going over the skyline too. You knew that bit of the tune was a Jim Johnston job. Proper chills.

ADDED: As a lot of people have said. Absolutely perfect stuff for a big time heel.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It reminds me of the shot in the opening of Spaceballs where the camera pans across the ship for what feels like an eternity. I giggle, then get annoyed wondering how it's still going on, and then I'm finally laughing in hysterics at how absurdly long it goes on for.

Now we know where Stewart Lee got it from!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

That helicopter shot was from stock videos and was used in an old Raw opening. Also believe DX video was the same. 

Correct, "Raw on the roof" from 1995 when they briefly abandoned the CORRECT music they had for most of 93-97 and replaced it with something utterly lifeless.

A lot of the stock footage of traffic and cityscape overheads that went into the Rock 2003 tron video can also be seen sped up in the opening hype video for Survivors 96. A superbly produced PPV from start to finish.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, air_raid said:

It was brilliant.

Oh it was, it had such spectacle, but it felt like it was about 10 minutes long. It says a lot about the Rock that he left so beloved by the fans, then could come back and get them all to hate him so much. He's so good.

• Paid Members

It's largely been forgotten but the person who benefited the most from "Hollywood" Rock was actually Christian. The whole "Captain Charisma" gimmick basically evolved from him being The Rock's biggest fan, then doing a bit of a tribute act when Rock left. I miss when stories and characters were given a chance to develop like that. It's rare to see now, at least on the main roster.

As others have said, the Hollywood thing was just great. It's one of the things that solidifies Rock as the best of all time for me. He was as a big a draw as anybody, could have good to great matches but, unlike a lot of other tip top guys, actually seemed to enjoy putting others over. As far as I'm aware, the only person Rock's refused to work with is Michaels, and that's because Shawn was a dick to him when he was breaking in. I can't remember any stories of him acting like anyone was beneath him or whatever.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Oh it was, it had such spectacle, but it felt like it was about 10 minutes long. It says a lot about the Rock that he left so beloved by the fans, then could come back and get them all to hate him so much. He's so good.

Was he actually hated by the fans? I may be remembering it wrong, but I always thought it was more a case of the guy was so good, over and loved, that the fans were happy to play along with the heel act. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

Was he actually hated by the fans? I may be remembering it wrong, but I always thought it was more a case of the guy was so good, over and loved, that the fans were happy to play along with the heel act. 

He got booed at Summerslam 2002 in his title match with Brock largely because they knew he was on his way back to Hollywood again, then on the Raw 10th anniversary special in January ‘03 he appeared in a pre-taped segment and got booed again. It wasn’t long after that he changed his look and the slow heel turn began with some of the initial segments, before they effectively solidified it with his live return. Think the initial boos were a mixture of the act growing a bit stale plus the Hollywood factor. However, his heel turn was so fucking entertaining the fans were cheering him again towards the end of that run.

Such a fun chapter of his career. It was such a natural progression and he genuinely looked like he was having an absolute blast doing it as well. Think there was a Backlash interview he did where he called Goldberg something like a whisker-biscuit bald-headed bitch, stared into the camera all serious, then just laughed and walked off. 

As others have said, his ability to adapt and willingness to put others over will forever make him one of the best ever for me. 

• Paid Members
On 8/19/2018 at 11:17 AM, Mr Kennedy said:

As my feelings about Hollywood Rock have been summed up perfectly I can’t really add anymore to this thread other than this -

This needs recycling for Miz. Replace "... Is Cooking" with "I'm Awesome.", then one long, slow instrumental of his current theme in B key.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

At another insomnic (doubt that's a word) hour, I turned to Hollywood Rock again, watching the three Rock Concerts.

The more I watch this, the more you'd struggle to convince me that there has ever been a better segment on Raw. The songs are amusing starting with the "Leaving Sacremento" stuff and "You ain't nothing but a redneck". The line "I'll be sure to come back when the Lakers beat the Kings in May" line to a thunderous response is absolutely fucking glorious. Rock is his shit eating best and it floors me everytime. Rock saying "Don't boo the cops, they're your cops" is hilarious too. Cameo from the "Hamburgler" and Austin getting some commupence are tremendous. Just a wonderful piece of work.

The second Rock concert doesn't feature much (any?) singing but Rock is still fantastic. Bringing out Gillberg is gold and even the Atlanta crowd piss their pants when Gillberg does his "BLWIHIUHIUHFGUIHJSBNHJDBHYGWIUER" on the mic. When Goldberg is coming out, he says to Gillberg something like "You are in so much trouble now, you've been taking the mick out of him for years" and Gillberg's little face is brilliant. Just look at it:

image.png.45b7b3febb855a707264fd07bd618551.png

Amazing stuff. Then he assures Gillberg he'll look after him before he runs away. What a heel. Unfortunately for Big Bad Bill, he then gets outsmarted by The rock because he tries to RUN after Rock's HUMMER LIMO. What a fucking moron. The only other issue with this is that Lawler would not shut the fuck up. As was the style at the time. Shit cunt.

It's not Hollywood Rock but I watched the third one too and its better than I remember. It's a different dynamic because he's pandering here. The crowd are into it though and get more into the Cleveland Rocks stuff. The material is weak as ever but The Rock has the charisma to carry it. cena would have got panned for some of this shit though. The stuff about Eve is right on the nose. Surprised they went there. It's funny though.

Archived