Sign in to follow this  
Onyx2

Chippy Tea

My kids go mental if I forget to ask for scraps on the chips when we have a chippy tea.

A friend of ours once had to venture out of Yorkshire for her job, swung by a chippy and asked for scraps as part of her order and ended up being looked at like she was a full-blown weirdo as they genuinely thought she wanted bin scrapings with her meal. There needs to be a geographically arranged list of names folk call them to save further embarrassment.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:47 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

We don’t have that problem in the south. Chip bits/scraps just get tossed in the bin.

another reason why nowhere south of Sheffield can do chips properly. 

Probably told the story earlier in the thread, but my family had lived in Jersey for years, and I'd never found a decent chippy. I'm sure the fish was great, but the chips were always rubbish. We moved to a new place, that happened to be round the corner from a chip shop we hadn't been to yet, and it was the only one I've found that did chips I actually like, and we got chippy tea from there quite often.

Several years later, my brother, his wife, and their kids are over, and my dad goes round to the chippy to get everyone's food. He comes back with honestly the biggest grin on his face that I have ever seen, because after some 15 years of living here, he'd found a chip shop that did scraps. It might have been the happiest day of his life.

I've started to ask for the fish and the chips to be packed separately and the texture of the batter is much nicer. Stays crispier all around by the time it gets home. I look forward to being judged on this action by everyone in this thread.

Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

I've started to ask for the fish and the chips to be packed separately and the texture of the batter is much nicer. Stays crispier all around by the time it gets home. I look forward to being judged on this action by everyone in this thread.

I've never been to a chippy that didn't do that. Must be another North/South thing

10 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I've never been to a chippy that didn't do that. Must be another North/South thing

Every chippy I ever frequented in the West Midlands would pack fish and chips together unless asked otherwise.

Not a sparkling contribution, but I really miss chips.

11 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I have to say I've never heard of them being wrapped seperate. This information feels like a spiritual awakening, chomping at the bit to get to the hippie and trying them wrapped seperate. 

11 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Often do this myself for the same reason.

13 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Probably told the story earlier in the thread, but my family had lived in Jersey for years, and I'd never found a decent chippy. I'm sure the fish was great, but the chips were always rubbish. 

It is probably because of the shite new potatoes that are grown there.

Back home before I had my op yesterday, I got rinsed for large chips. £3.60!!!

Even Edinburgh in the tourist bits wasn't that bad. 

Anyone beat that price for chips... 👀 

My local Chipper is £8.10 for a jumbo haddock supper, £7.20 for a cod supper. Wish I could say it's overpriced, but sadly that's quite normal around this way

4 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

I can get cod and chips at my local chippy for £3.80.

I can get that up North, however rural Gloucestershire was like nearly 6 quid for battered Sausage and Chips. 

Where is cheapest for fish and chips anyway 

30 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I can get that up North, however rural Gloucestershire was like nearly 6 quid for battered Sausage and Chips. 

Where is cheapest for fish and chips anyway 

I live in the South Devon coast, so most of the touristy chippies are at least 7 quid for a medium sized portion. Because I live away from the harbour or the pier/promenade area my local is much more reasonably priced.

31 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

I live in the South Devon coast, so most of the touristy chippies are at least 7 quid for a medium sized portion. Because I live away from the harbour or the pier/promenade area my local is much more reasonably priced.

Ouch.. 

Cheaper than that in London, though no decent chippers anywhere, bahhh