Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Onyx2 said:

I think the skin is lovely (and packed with Omega3) but I can understand people not enjoying it. It is quite slimy.

I'll have fish skin, but only when the fish is pan-fried, making the skin crispy. Especially if it's had a bit of All-Purpose Seasoning on it.

Has anyone ever bought a jar of cockles from a chippy? I love the little shits but I've never ever thought to buy them with my chippy dinner.

A quick edit to just say that I've found that battered cockles are a real thing, that's going too far?

Edited by Merzbow

• Moderators
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

When our nephew was down (he’s only 6) and we had a chippy tea, he actually said randomly to his folks when he got home “Uncle Matt is weird, he eats the skin on his fish!”

Am I alone here?

I'm not sure I've ever noticed skin in battered fish. Do they leave skin on when they do cod? I've never not eaten the whole thing though, however they give it to me.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Rule One said:

It's bollocks round here though, there's chippies around but they are all shit, the nearest decent one is about 5 miles away. It's been run by the same family from before I was born and the elders are still running the show and the decor hasn't changed in 30+ years.

Whereabouts do you live? We seem to be ok for them round here in Stockport, there are some good ones dotted around, but it's noticeable there are many knocking around certain parts of Manchester, it's mostly kebabs and fried chicken now. A real shame.

At least in Manchester city centre you have Wrights Traditional near Albert Square, which are amongst the best chips I've ever eaten, and near Shudehill and The Printworks there is the double punned Manchipster Plaice.  We often have one or the other when in town as a treat.

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

At least in Manchester city centre you have Wrights Traditional near Albert Square, which are amongst the best chips I've ever eaten, and near Shudehill and The Printworks there is the double punned Manchipster Plaice.  We often have one or the other when in town as a treat.

Is Manchipster Plaice any good? I don't go in there because of that name but also there's never anyone in there which is never a good sign. Wright's are brilliant though but it's always packed now.

8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Is Manchipster Plaice any good? I don't go in there because of that name but also there's never anyone in there which is never a good sign. Wright's are brilliant though but it's always packed now.

They aren't as good as Wrights, but very few are.  I think because MP is really small and tucked away from a street worths of chicken shops it gets overlooked.  I've had a one of two average ones from there but generally they're very good.  Plus you get some of those flat thin circle chips that you don't see any more.  Eh what were they all about?  Flat round chips?  Remember them eh?

Edited by Keith Houchen
Salt and vinegar?

49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Whereabouts do you live? We seem to be ok for them round here in Stockport, there are some good ones dotted around, but it's noticeable there are many knocking around certain parts of Manchester, it's mostly kebabs and fried chicken now. A real shame.

Broadbottom, which is also an apt term for my size.

The art of the chippy is dead in most places. Stockport used to have a cracking one on lower Hillgate but it's been gone at least 3/4 years. The couple that had it were real good people too.

Edited by Rule One
I cannot form sentences properly.

13 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There are still a couple around Stockport town centre, Grandad's and that one next to the bus station. But they always have old fogies and druggies in them so I've never ventured in.

Grandads is supposed to be ok but it is an OAP hotspot, I never have the chance to eat alone these days but will give it a try one day.

The one by the bus station is nothing special, it's adequate but the chips are hit and miss.

If you're ever in Davenport, give the chippies a miss too, one off Bramhall Lane used to be nice but that's gone to the dogs over the last few years. Last time I went the chips were almost raw white. 

Slightly off topic but the bus station toilets deserve there own thread, how they've never been a set location for horror/snuff film, I'll never know.