Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Pickled eggs, yay or nay?

I'm a big fan & have made my own with recycled pickling vinegar from my mums pickled onions. I appreciate they're a divisive snack though. I also like one thrown into a bag of crisps in the pub.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Depends on the circumstance. I wouldn't ever bother at the chippy, but absolutely would down the pub. Bar snacks more widely is a thread I might do at some point, love 'em. 

Do it! I'll bash out 10,000 words on why Whitebait is the benchmark for all bar snacks & the best place to get it is The Brewery Tap in Chester.

• Awards Moderator

The pressure of this thread was too much last night. Couldn't take it anymore and while not quite a chippy tea I had a frozen Tesco steak pie and McCain's oven chips for dinner, with peas and buttered bread.

No GOURMET burger though.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Do you guys not have gherkins and pickled onions in chip shops up there? (Genuine question)

Pickled onions, occasionally.  Gherkins, no fucking way.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Do it! I'll bash out 10,000 words on why Whitebait is the benchmark for all bar snacks & the best place to get it is The Brewery Tap in Chester.

I'll let this die down a touch then set one up. I need to wax lyrical about the pub I went to that sold a variety of whole salamis with crackers and gherkins for about £5.

@Onyx2; I ended up buying a large portion of chips from the local joint on the way home and I'm not even that ashamed. This thread is a dangerous thing.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Pickled onions, occasionally.  Gherkins, no fucking way.

Not as outlandish as you might think. Fish and chips was originally a Jewish dish, so it makes sense some chip shops, especially traditional Jewish-run ones, would sell gherkins.

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Not as outlandish as you might think. Fish and chips was originally a Jewish dish, so it makes sense some chip shops, especially traditional Jewish-run ones, would sell gherkins.

Someone from India would never eat chicken tikka masala, but I wouldn't call it an 'Indian' if it wasn't on the menu.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Onyx2 said:

Someone from India would never eat chicken tikka masala, but I wouldn't call it an 'Indian' if it wasn't on the menu.

I get what you say on that one, but for me it's just about the general menu. If it's missing tikka masala, but has my beloved chicken makhan, lamb zafrani or chicken dopiaza, and maybe keema naan, and does them well, then it's an Indian for me.

21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'd go as far to say vegetarians should be banned from chippies. It's for their own good. Because if you went in a chippy in Cheetham Hill and asked for a halloumi and tofu wrap then you will end up deep fried.

I was there yesterday, they're isn't really any chippies left and most of them have merged/move into other food markets or rebranded as an unofficial KFC taking the soul of the chip shop and pissing on it. To make it more damning, you can get those items in a 'Chippy' in Cheetham Hill but the chips would be shit.

21 hours ago, Merzbow said:

There is more behind this than the article suggests. I was there yesterday and you'd have thought nothing like that had happened. Make no mistake though it's proper grim round there.

Back on topic, usually it would just be sausage and chips with an unhealthy amount of salt but if I'm being as more than usual fatter bastard, I'll have chips, scallop muffin and sausage muffin with whatever drink looks like it hasn't been in the fridge for the last decade.

It's bollocks round here though, there's chippies around but they are all shit, the nearest decent one is about 5 miles away. It's been run by the same family from before I was born and the elders are still running the show and the decor hasn't changed in 30+ years.

• Awards Moderator
28 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’m guilty of not reading every post and search threw up nothing, so where do you stand on eating the skin on the underside of the fish?

I think the skin is lovely (and packed with Omega3) but I can understand people not enjoying it. It is quite slimy.