Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
On 2/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Who the fuck sees £14.25 and thinks “ooh, that’s reasonable”

Tourists around South Bank who want to try 'real fish and chips' while they're visiting London.

It's round the corner from where I work and overlooks the Thames - not a bad pub, actually (I've been there for some events), but I don't know anyone who'd think 'lets eat there!'.

• Paid Members

Likewise. I wouldn't eat there for those prices, at least not a pub lunch - it's because it's in central London that they're so high, and, as Chris B says, it's basically a tourist trap. Hop on the tube, travel fifteen minutes outwards, and the prices drop to at least half that (yes, still expensive, I know, but that's London).

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

With 'jous' drizzled onto an empty part of the plate, like a Karl Kani signature

Worse, "served with au jus" .... the redundancy of the "au" going through me like a sharp knife through unsalted vegan butter.

• Paid Members

Talking of the £14.25 fish and chips, it's reminded me that a fair few of my Indian colleagues have gone to places like that while visiting London for work-related stuff. They've been so excited about trying fish and chips each time, as they've always heard it's this staple British thing. And without fail, they're always disappointed. They're used to flavour and spice on pretty much everything, so they find a lot of our food really bland - and nothing more than fish and chips, especially the first time they have it. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

They're used to flavour and spice on pretty much everything, so they find a lot of our food really bland - and nothing more than fish and chips, especially the first time they have it. 

There's a shock. Give them cottage pie or corned beef hash and they'll probably die of beige on the spot.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, air_raid said:

There's a shock. Give them cottage pie or corned beef hash and they'll probably die of beige on the spot.

They actually dealt slightly better with roasted stuff, as it had a more full flavour - but they couldn't believe how much salt so much European food has (especially one girl who we took for Greek food). Fish and chips were the real shocker though, although a couple insisted on trying it again and again, convinced they'd missed something, and ended up quite liking it.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Chris B said:

Talking of the £14.25 fish and chips, it's reminded me that a fair few of my Indian colleagues have gone to places like that while visiting London for work-related stuff. They've been so excited about trying fish and chips each time, as they've always heard it's this staple British thing. And without fail, they're always disappointed. They're used to flavour and spice on pretty much everything, so they find a lot of our food really bland - and nothing more than fish and chips, especially the first time they have it. 

Didn't know salt, vinegar and bread covered in salted butter was banned in india.#they're doing it wrong