Chippy Tea

Onyx2

Baths Supper Bar is the best one near me, kebab meat and chips every time.  When I can't be arsed going there, it's off to Royal Cod for sausage, chips and curry sauce.  Although they lose points for not knowing what roe is.  Although, you may remember this from a previous chippy discussion, I did ask them what the difference between their English and Irish curry sauce was.  The Irish is a spicy version.

Without invoking Brexit, Chinese chippies are ace too.  Jin Ho near me do a great chips, sausage and curry sauce.  It's the sauce they use in their curries as opposed to a side and it's well skill.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without invoking Brexit, Chinese chippies are ace too.  Jin Ho near me do a great chips, sausage and curry sauce.  It's the sauce they use in their curries as opposed to a side and it's well skill.

Not trying to go full Adam Bowler, but I've always been of the impression that Chinese restaurants doubling as fish bars are a bit shit. Might just be local experience, but it's a real challenge to get both right in the same place.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

The like I just gave you was for the Adam Bowler reference, Gus. I love Chinese chippies - they've been the only ones around here to get chips anywhere near right. Better at chicken than fish, though.

9 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Not trying to go full Adam Bowler, but I've always been of the impression that Chinese restaurants doubling as fish bars are a bit shit. Might just be local experience, but it's a real challenge to get both right in the same place.

Given the option, I tend to go for the "Chippy only" places.  The aforementioned Baths Supper Bar was ran by a Chinese family but it had no Chinese dishes on the menu, which was a bit odd.  It was a straight up chippy.  Jin Ho did decent enough chips but the curry sauce was the kicker there.

There are a few chippy's up here that are on Just Eat, but the beauty of the chippy is it's usually pretty cheap so I'd never hit the minimum order.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The like I just gave you was for the Adam Bowler reference, Gus. I love Chinese chippies - they've been the only ones around here to get chips anywhere near right. Better at chicken than fish, though.

This might be the issue with me. I vividly remember Aunt Sue taking me to Lee's Fish & Chip's in Melksham as a young'un and getting cod wrapped in batter the same consistency and taste as Ready Brek. 

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

I had a massive, full blown argument with my Mrs a few months ago over a Veggie Kebab. 

We go to this kebab place that does the best kebabs we have ever tasted. Anyway, she decided she was going to call for us a kebab after work one day, and I couldn't fucking wait. Well, that was until she walked through the door with 2 vegetarian kebabs. All it had was salad and cheap cheese in a pitta bread. It was a fucking cheese salad sandwich and the daft bastard had paid £6.50 each for them. I didn't talk to her for a fortnight...

Oh these are nothing like that joke of a kebab, Veggie Corner have a whole range of "meats" to choose from and they've spiced them up to taste pretty legit. Far cheaper than your cheese sandwich too.

Battered sausage, large chips, heaps of salt and curry sauce.

Maybe a pie (chicken and mushroom) obvs or haddock if I'm feeling it.

I only seem to go to chippy's in Liverpool now (although there are several that deliver near me) after the football, which I maintain are the best anywhere in the country. The Chinese curry sauce in Liverpool chippies has yet to be bettered anywhere else for me.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The aforementioned Baths Supper Bar was ran by a Chinese family but it had no Chinese dishes on the menu, which was a bit odd.  

The best and longest running chippy around me (which I actually ate from as a kid and then was still here all those years later when I moved back to the area) is Chinese owned and has never served any Chinese dishes. And, in keeping with your previous post does easily the best curry sauce. I'll only get curry sauce if I'm buying from there.

51 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Battered sausage, large chips, heaps of salt and curry sauce.

Maybe a pie (chicken and mushroom) obvs or haddock if I'm feeling it.

I only seem to go to chippy's in Liverpool now (although there are several that deliver near me) after the football, which I maintain are the best anywhere in the country. The Chinese curry sauce in Liverpool chippies has yet to be bettered anywhere else for me.

The Happy Villa on Priory Road (where I get my wings from) has the best curry sauce bar none, well since the Welcome got destroyed anyway

8 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

The Happy Villa on Priory Road (where I get my wings from) has the best curry sauce bar none, well since the Welcome got destroyed anyway

Can't remember if you're a red or a blue but the Sing Fong on Walton Breck Road is my matchday nose bag! 

Where do you stand on the Lobster Pot? The salt and pepper chicken and the chicken burgers in there are rank, the chips seem to get left around so if its quiet I always swerve, but the battered sausage, curry and fresh chips are really good.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz