Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

You would, but only from their new album. He liked them before they sold out. Their latest work seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way.

Sorbet?

Ah c'mon lads, strawberry sorbet is someĀ top posh nosh. Not better than a New York cheesecake but it's up there.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Stunning. But undecided on the cardboard box.Ā Should be in a foam tray coated in paper. Presentation looks a little too tory.Ā 

Nah, not for me. Plastic trays are for kebabs these days. Paper or a cardboard box for the win.

I think I've just found a new favourite chip shop. Our local place when I was growing up won the best chip shop award several years running, and I never thought I'd find anywhere even near as good as theirs, but holy shit, Arkwrights in Leeds has just blown my mind.

Proper traditional tiny little shop, run by an ageing husband and wife who I imagine have probably been there for about a hundred years. The warmest of greetings from the pair of them when I went in, all smiles and chatting away as I perused the menu, which didn't take too long because it's a choice of either fish and chips, sausage and chips, or double sausage and chips, with a side of peas if wanted.

I plumped for double sausage and chips, with one battered sausage and one "normal" one. Both jumbo, because that's all they do. I watched as the kindly lady scooped the chips out of the fryer, and they looked amazing. Big thick chunky proper chip shop chips, none of this bollocks "fries" nonsense, nice and golden,Ā  seemingly perfectly cooked. I'll not lie, I was tempted to ask her to not bother wrapping them and just shovel them straight into my face instead. Wrapped in white paper and then handed to me in a brown paper bag, I paid my Ā£5.20Ā (possibly a tad steep, but after eating, I'm fine with it) and headed home.

Lm7B2NA.jpg

The chips were the absolute perfect consistency, nice and soft with slightly crispy edges, and beautifully fluffy inside. I started with the normal sausage which had a really nice almost spicy tang to it, and then moved on to the battered one. This is where I very nearly lost my shit. It was simply phenomenal. The batter was fairly thin, which is a plus in my book, and not at all soggy. It was the most crispy batter I've ever eaten, adding a tremendous crunch to the already delicious soft and spicy sausage inside. My only complaint is that it was so amazing that I wolfed it down far too quickly and it was all over too soon, but that was totally my own fault.

Honestly feel like I'm never going to find a better chippy than this. All you need from a chip shop is a smile off whoever's behind the counter and a satisfying bit of grub, and this went way beyond expectations on both counts. I'm going to do a Meltzer and give it six stars.