Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Well, first of all I'm normal so I don't eat fish and chips with cutlery. But year, fair point, it's more trying to gnaw the meat of the bone.

Chips, I get. But I've never seen anyone eat their fish with just their hands. 

Fuck it. Clearly I'm posh. Somebody hand me a monocle.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Chips, I get. But I've never seen anyone eat their fish with just their hands. 

Fuck it. Clearly I'm posh. Somebody hand me a monocle.

To be honest, I'm probably the unusual one here. I dunno, I just prefer to pick bits of the fish up and eat it with hands. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Chunk said:

To be honest, I'm probably the unusual one here. I dunno, I just prefer to pick bits of the fish up and eat it with hands. 

Tell me Chunk, has there been a spate of unsolved murders near to where you live?

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

My wife's cousin eats his fish with his hands, but we're Indian and generally do a lot more eating with hands so I don't see it as that much of a stretch (even though I was surprised the first time I saw it). I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I'm pretty sure he knows he's in the minority!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

As long as your grabbing the fish by the batter, sounds grand. If you're tearing at the actual greasy flesh with your mits however, then that falls into 'weird eating' for me.

11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

All chippy food is designed to be eaten by hand.

This is exactly why the batter should be crispy across the entire fish, if it's soggy and makes it difficult to eat by hand then it's simply shite.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It's not no more unusual than trying to eat with one of those shitty wooden forks/tridents/tworks. 

It's vastly different. I'm not getting my filthy hands all over a squidgy fish (steady there, lads). Batter is dry and firm, perfect for holding. Would you scoop out and eat the innards of a pasty with you hands? 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly, even when the pitta bread falls apart, you still use your hands to eat the kebab. 

Especially if it falls on to the fence because then you don't even need the 5 second rule.

• Paid Members

It was looking a bit dicey there for a minute. Thought I might have to avoid eye contact and slip away slowly backwards out of the room.

Fortunately a few of you have validated my approach. 😃.

It probably comes from eating fish and chips from the paper whilst not at home. Unless you're sitting down at a table in the chippy (also weird) you have no choice but to use either your hands or one of those wooden forks.

I'm also firmly in the camp of eating them from the paper even when at home. The idea of tipping the fish and chips out of the paper onto a plate is absolutely abhorrent. 

• Paid Members

This place has such a love of the fork that it surprises me that we haven't evolved a fork instead of a little finger.

It really surprises me how many of you abandon the fork in the face of fried food. We will discover that some of you are the kind of weirdos who balance a fried egg on your knife and suck it in all in one go next.