Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, FailedPromoter said:

Jumbo cod/chips, peas and gravy and ketchup. Spam fritter on the side too if flush.

Washed down with a Barr Cream Soda.

If Mania time, add a mixed kebab to that. Since the whole pre-show/main show covers a couple of mealtimes.

Gravy on fish is just wrong. Cream Soda is a perfectly good chippy tea drink. So you are batting 50/50 

• Moderators

Cod and chips with plenty of salt and vinegar. Wrapped up to go, and kept wrapped long enough to get a bit sweaty, but the crispy ones are still crispy. Sometimes curry sauce if I fancy it.

Wash down with a bottle of Cronx Standard (local Croydon ale). This is drunk cold. I don't care if you're not supposed to chill ales, that's how I like it.

7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Gravy on fish is just wrong. Cream Soda is a perfectly good chippy tea drink. So you are batting 50/50 

Ahh I don't hoy it on the fish, kills the batter, never a good scenario. Usually it's fish on one side, thick mushy peas as a breakwater, chips on the other side doused in gravy.

Though the ketchup is liberally hoyed on the lot, everyone seems to think that is wrong.

• Paid Members

Large battered sausage, chips, beans and scraps. Maybe a breath in on the side. Washed down with whatever ale I have in, probably a stout from the fridge (yeah, I chill my stouts and porters).

Edit: fucking autocorrect turned breadbun into breath in!

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I do love a red pudding supper or a spicy haggis supper.

Alright, Monsignor Bollocks - you're going to have to tell me what a red pudding is. Sounds like it could've been in Game Of Thrones.

I know black pudding and white pudding, but never heard of a red one, and I am intrigued to know more.

• Awards Moderator
39 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I do love a red pudding supper

This is why I started this thread. Proper regional weirdness! What on earth is that?

(I was secretly hoping everyone would argue about bread rolls nomenclature and 'sauce').

The chips are a bit pony (to be expected from a southern* chippy)

*London. The South is perfectly good at making chips thank you, landlubber. It's stupid London doesn't have a clue (although I have found one good one).

• Moderators

A shop they've had to close because it stinks? Good recommendation.

EDIT: ÂŁ7.50 for fucking sausage and chips? That's a shit chippy. Fucking piss taking. That's over double what a chippy should charge. That's a wankers place, or plaice even.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, PowerButchi said:

A shop they've had to close because it stinks? Good recommendation.

Ha, brilliant! I didn't test the link. Just further proof London can't do fish and chips.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

*London. The South is perfectly good at making chips thank you, landlubber. It's stupid London doesn't have a clue (although I have found one good one).

Plastic northerner, thank you very much.

Only places in the south I've been to make decent chips are usually on the coast. There are exceptions, but they're usually ridiculously expensive and have got so far up their own arse because of their reputation that they're not actually much cop any more (specifically The Seashell in Marylebone).

The usual exceptions in London are an arseache to get to, because they're mostly the excellent Jewish chippies in the far north-west of London.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Alright, Monsignor Bollocks - you're going to have to tell me what a red pudding is. Sounds like it could've been in Game Of Thrones.

I know black pudding and white pudding, but never heard of a red one, and I am intrigued to know more.

Me too. I guessed it was just a minced beef & onion suet pudding but the foil tin it comes in is red?