Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

It's Friday evening. You get in from work pissed off with Steve in accounts. You're famished. You've nothing in the cupboard. Sighing, you put on your Wranglers. Your hand goes in the pocket to stop them being all inside-outy. You feel a wrinkly tenner. Result! Chippy tea it is. 

When in proper fat bastard mode I go for haddock - so much more interesting and tasty than cod, and doesn't fall to bits - plus a battered sausage which is the perfect marriage of crispy and squidgy. Seasoned so strong you can't even taste the minced-up eyelids. And chips of course, sweaty and sticking to the paper. A buttered roll on the side if they still have one. All liberally dredged in salt and vinegar. 

What's your usual? 

• Paid Members

Fish n chips n curry sauce.

HOWEVER for Mania last year I was staying at a mate's and I find the chippy there both excellent in regards to all items and sundries and reasonably priced and we went straight from work so I smashed cod/chips with curry sauce (the milder of the two varieties they sell) AND a sausage.... and an auxiliary tray of donner meat drowned in garlic mayo.

I regret nothing.

• Paid Members

Halloumi, hummus and falafel wrap with chips. Loads of chili sauce and garlic sauce, loads of vinegar on the chips. My current local kebab shop/chippy is my fave ever and do proper chip shop chips. Sorry for the lack of traditional fish and sausage but I don't swing that way anymore.

• Paid Members

footlong fish, chips, large battered sausage and curry sauce. If I'm mega hungry I'll get a couple of tea cakes(let's not get into that argument either!).

Will sometimes have a kebab from there though, as they are pretty decent and cheap too. You can get a kebab n a pitta for 2.50, so will get two and put them together. Tried Kebab meat and chips from there, but I can buy into the idea of Kebab meat and proper chippy chips...

• Paid Members

I love cod, but recently have been getting rock from our local chippy, as it's flavoursome and delicious. The chips are a bit pony (to be expected from a southern chippy), but they give you loads. The mushy peas are OK, I guess. Drinks-wise, I tend to get a bottle of Hobgoblin or Broadside, as I'll only get fish and chips these days when I'm feeling like splashing out.